Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I researched this enough on this Forum. So, yeah, I want to install a OEM NAV panel in my 08Escape. My truck does NOT have SYNC or that extra set of buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. The instrument panel is basic; just the ODO with the 2 trip ODOs. AM/FM CD W/4 speakers, a SAT button on the radio face and a do hickey at the top of the windshield that has HX PLUS stamped on it. Pics included of what I see up there. As for acquiring a NAV unit there are a couple on Ebay that have the 2008 stamp (8L8T-18K931-AF). My guess is from what I read elsewhere a unit made in 08 could/should work without going to a dealer for some kind of computer connection verses acquiring one that is from some other Ford product as someone listed around here.
Also, if this unit works after installing the unit would the navigation and Maps software upgrade?

I can't seem to upload Pics. Will post anyway.

Later. Pepse.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
It is not an easy project that you are taking on, but not impossible either. Be aware you need the new bezel (BL8Z7804302GA) to mount the nav radio. Also you will need the premium sound external amplifier that mounts under the base of the steering column. There is some kind of splitter available for the satellite radio antenna to feed the GPS on the nav radio but I am not sure what that consists of. On the 2008 the satellite radio module was under the passenger seat so you may need to re-route the cable.

This site has some additional info: https://www.infotainment.com/collection ... =494824657

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bluto. Well it does look a bit daunting, but possibly entertaining. I will keep this as up to date as I get parts and such.

Pepse.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just wanted to add that it would be cheaper to put an aftermarket unit with more up to date features.

However, if you really want the OEM nav, I look forward to seeing your updates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vpasla1,
I originally was going to install a Blaupunkt Baltimore unit with a 7" screen, etc., etc. But I realized (2 years later) that it doesn't have a CD player; I'm old fashion I need a CD player in my vehicle. So that is when I decided to research installing an OEM unit on this Forum and a couple others it seemed to look kinda easy. Now I am re-thinking it. I will have to find something out there like the Blaupunkt but with a CD player or continue with this idea. Stay tuned.

Later. Pepse.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I looked into this a little more as the lure of factory NAV has always intrigued me. With the P/N you listed (8L8T-18K931-AF), this looks mostly plug and play for an '08 (since you not trying to add sync) with the big exception of the premium audio amplifier. I think the 'get it programmed by a dealer' step can probably be done with the aid of forscan. If the NAV radio you buy was used in something besides an Escape you probably have to change some of the configuration pids like what startup logo to display (ford, lincoln, or mercury), whether SAT radio is also present, and so on.

What I am not clear on is the breakdown of features of this NAV radio vs the next revision (starting with '10 maybe?). Is a '10 and up NAV needed to support Sync, HD radio, backup camera and so on? Would a '10+ revision work on an '08 as well (if you disabled stuff like the separate satellite radio tuner under the seat)?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not too well versed in the aftermarket items as I just use Bluetooth streaming from my phone for music, and a phone mount for navigation. Overall works well.

However, if you really need CDs, and you always listen to the same CDs, it might be easier to rip them to your computer, and load them on a USB stick, maybe have folders sorted by album? I would imagine aftermarket units would provide some sort of support for a folder view? That way you can just pick the ones you like and play them without the hassle of physical CDs.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
After further research I have answered most of my own questions....

For an '08 this kit is offered and it looks like plug and play:
https://www.infotainment.com/collection ... 1608438983

This NAV is what I will call the 'old' version and was only offered on '08 Escape, although the same unit was used on other Ford vehicles back to '06. This NAV supports AM/FM/6 CD, the aux input jack and Satellite radio if you already have the separate tuner. It does not support Sync, HD radio or a back up camera. The navigation itself is very primitive and probably not worth it as the main reason to get one of these in 2021. The nav data looks like it is stored on a DVD that stays in a hidden drive below the main CD slot. And many discs are needed (and have to be swapped out) to cover the whole of the USA and Canada. One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is needing a separate amplifier or 'brick' like has been mentioned before. If that is the case, this would be close to a drop in installation on an '08.

For '09-'12 this is the kit:
https://www.infotainment.com/collection ... =494824657

Compared to the other unit, this is a 'newer' version of the NAV radio and looks much nicer although still somewhat dated. This one does support HD radio & Satellite radio(even on screen weather) which are built in (no external tuner module). Sync 1 and back up cameras are supported. A replacement steering wheel switch is provided (1 less Sync specific button) and two wires might need to be re-routed to make Sync work correctly. A separate amplifier 'brick' is required and provided with the kit along with custom wiring harnesses. A hard drive is mentioned for storing music and map data (full coverage of US, Canada, Mexico, USVI, PR, etc. is also mentioned). I don't see why you couldn't put one of these in an '08 since we have figured out that the Sync1 upgrade kit paired with a regular 2009 radio works just fine. But the price for convenience to get the amplifier and harnesses is pretty steep. Further, if your '08 does have the external satellite tuner, I could see this complicating things and possibly needing to have wires modified to take it out of the loop. But if you have an '09-'12 with Sync and premium audio already, this might be a neat little project to ebay all the parts for $400-500 and would not be to much of a hassle to install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bluto,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it later. )
vpasla1

Like I said "I'm old fashioned" I prefer CD's and as Bluto noted the '08 and '09 (09 according to a 2009 dealer brochure) are 6 disc changers. I had a 6 disc in a '03 Sable loved it.

Later. Pepse.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I found the navigation in a 2010 MKZ to be dated, while mainly the maps (the seller put in 1 gallon of gas, if it sensed you needed gas it would show stations close by, but 90% of them no longer existed) the interface was slow and limited. The amount of interaction between it and the rest of the vehicle wasn't worth using it (and that is heater/ac controls and some small amounts of logic like the low on gas thing).

I also find the navigation in my 2017 to be clunky. It is more configurable that the older setup, and a little more reactive, but still comparing it directly to Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze (via Android Auto and Apple Carplay) I find it hard to justify using it.

I am big on using navigation, even when I am going someplace I have been a hundred times. With traffic, construction, speed traps, and debris in the road alerts, estimated time of arrival (and not just to beat it like a game), I always plug in where I am going, if over a tank of gas I preplan my stops, I like to be able to bypass an issue and have it reroute me (unless it just keeps telling me to turn around and go back).

While I could survive again without navigation, I don't want to.

But I also would never use a CD again. I ripped all my CDs and can fit 12,000 songs on a thumb drive, with play lists, shuffle lists, and I rarely use that as I stream music. A $4 thumb drive, with 6000 songs, or quite a few $2 drives or cards with different genres is how I used to do it. I still have the 8 track player and a handful of 8 tracks, you won't find me using them any more. I also ripped all my records, cassettes, and some 8 tracks, all the popping, hissing, track changing in the middle of songs, all the glory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bangster,

Well, I guess this helps. It looks like aftermarket would be better in regards to maps and I'm sure a few other things. My guess is there would be no up to date updates. If was just a case of sluggish I could deal with it.

So, I will start looking at aftermarket like Pioneer or Kenwood. Sadly though I see Nakamichi just sells soundbars.

Anyway I thank everyone that chimed in for pointers and what not.

Later. Pepse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I think I researched this enough on this Forum. So, yeah, I want to install a OEM NAV panel in my 08Escape. My truck does NOT have SYNC or that extra set of buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. The instrument panel is basic; just the ODO with the 2 trip ODOs. AM/FM CD W/4 speakers, a SAT button on the radio face and a do hickey at the top of the windshield that has HX PLUS stamped on it. Pics included of what I see up there. As for acquiring a NAV unit there are a couple on Ebay that have the 2008 stamp (8L8T-18K931-AF). My guess is from what I read elsewhere a unit made in 08 could/should work without going to a dealer for some kind of computer connection verses acquiring one that is from some other Ford product as someone listed around here.
Also, if this unit works after installing the unit would the navigation and Maps software upgrade?

I can't seem to upload Pics. Will post anyway.

Later. Pepse.
Hello, I own a 2008 ford escape xls, the most basic trim model, the radio headunit is the basic one that is all together with the front dash, recently I found a 2011 ford escape limited on the junkyard and took the nav headunit from it, I installed it in the 2008 wihtout making any change to the wiring harnesses and worked fine, but with some issues, the audio is very low even at max vol.(seeing this post i just realized i will need th premium ext. amplifier). and the sync functions are not working (There wasn´t sync instaled in my truck originally).

this is what i´ve found:

Head unit is compatible among 2008 -2012 models, they are almost plug n´play
You will need the external amplifier
You can use any gps antnna with a SMA to FAKRA adapter
You can use a gps antenna spliter to use with th sat radio
You may need a sync module if not installed previously (in this one I´m not too shure, I dont understand if the sync option is a sparate module or it is built in the head unit and need some kind of forscan programming).
To use the OEM aux conector ypu may need an adapter as it doesnt use the same plug
You will need the USB port and the wiring harness from the port to th head unit so you can have the USB functionality

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Take a look at this thread:

It is possible to add sync to a 2008 if you can find a 'sync upgrade kit'. They are hard to find now but if you setup a saved search on ebay, you might snag one. It should work with the NAV HU but some programming in forscan will probably be necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.