Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Escape 2001, XLS V6

- I might have a blown head gasket (I see bubles in my coolant reservoir but have not yet confirmed the loss of coolant level), anyways I am planning in using K&W sealer than might fix the head gasket, this sealer only works with pure water, so no coolant can be left in the engine block/radiator. A total coolant flush with 100% pure water needs to be done, for a faster total flush, I wanted to know, besides the radiator drain plug, is there a drain plug in the engine block for the Ford Escape?

I am very glad I found this web site, is so usefull and well maintained.

Thanks again,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
As far as I know there is one at the bottom of the radiaotr and of course the top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oskerb said:
As far as I know there is one at the bottom of the radiaotr and of course the top.
Yes, my 2001 Escape has 1 drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and the reservoir cap (no radiator cap), but is there another drain plug in the engine block to flush all the coolant. Yesterday I removed the radiator drain plug and I got only 4 quarts of coolant (coolant was at the correct level before flush), I have seen people that say they get at least 6 quarts, not sure how, unless their reservoir tank was above the full line ...

Thanks again,

Christian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
c_pena_h said:
oskerb said:
As far as I know there is one at the bottom of the radiaotr and of course the top.
Yes, my 2001 Escape has 1 drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and the reservoir cap (no radiator cap), but is there another drain plug in the engine block to flush all the coolant. Yesterday I removed the radiator drain plug and I got only 4 quarts of coolant (coolant was at the correct level before flush), I have seen people that say they get at least 6 quarts, not sure how, unless their reservoir tank was above the full line ...

Thanks again,

Christian
True come to think of it there is one on the block . Did u check near or around the oil drain plug on the block, I think it looks like a big Allen hole, for a Allen key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surfscape said:
it's better to just drain, fill, drain, fill a few times
I did see the allen bolt, close to the oil filter (is a pretty big bolt), but I think I will stay with the "drain/fill" (it just takes to much time), I read somewhere else that the threads of that bolt befome weak with high milage (my car is 109000 miles) and it might never fit back again (only heard about this once), anyways with my luck it might happen to me .. and I don't want to deal with that.

Thanks again for your time

-- Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
c_pena_h said:
Ford Escape 2001, XLS V6

- I might have a blown head gasket (I see bubles in my coolant reservoir but have not yet confirmed the loss of coolant level), anyways I am planning in using K&W sealer than might fix the head gasket, this sealer only works with pure water, so no coolant can be left in the engine block/radiator. A total coolant flush with 100% pure water needs to be done, for a faster total flush, I wanted to know, besides the radiator drain plug, is there a drain plug in the engine block for the Ford Escape?

I am very glad I found this web site, is so usefull and well maintained.

Thanks again,

Chris
This is quite an interesting and helpful post. My cousin just recently had blown gasket as well. Seeing what you have done by using water and sealer, I think it might actually work on my cousin's escape too plus the drain/fill method. Anyway, we're gonna give a shot fixing it over the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks sharing some tips. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
c_pena_h said:
Ford Escape 2001, XLS V6

- I might have a blown head gasket (I see bubles in my coolant reservoir but have not yet confirmed the loss of coolant level), anyways I am planning in using K&W sealer than might fix the head gasket, this sealer only works with pure water, so no coolant can be left in the engine block/radiator. A total coolant flush with 100% pure water needs to be done, for a faster total flush, I wanted to know, besides the radiator drain plug, is there a drain plug in the engine block for the Ford Escape?

I am very glad I found this web site, is so usefull and well maintained.

Thanks again,

Chris
Maybe before you go putting that junk in your system (which I do not support - you may seal the leak, but you're also going to seal things that shouldn't be sealed), you should make sure that you actually have a blown head gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
A blown gasket is a blown gasket.The sealer, whatever it is, will only help you for a few miles at best.Sealers are not fixes.
If indeed you see bubbles in the coolant reservoir, the head gasket is kaput.Needs to be replaced.
As for using plain water in the cooling system one must be aware that this practice alters the boilling point of the fluid thus forcing the engine to work at higher temperatures plus changing the thermostat's behaviour.
Experimentation is welcomed as long as one is ready enough to face failures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
I agree with SUVord.
The repair with sealer, would be temporary.
Problem being , there is no guarantee of success.

SUVord indicated that failures are the risk.
Also plain water, might not be ideal for your water pump.
No coolant at all?.

I have been inconvenienced years ago.
Tried to cut costs, by choosing the sealer method. :shrug:
Also used only water.
The temporary solution, only lasted about three weeks.

Anyway it ended up, being very expensive.
The mechanic replaced all hoses.
Having plain water, totally corroded the water pump. :bang:

A new water pump was fitted.
Also he installed a ' New Gasket '.

Sometimes, it is better to ' nip it in the bud '.
Because of my short cut, the final repair was very expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Mechanic in a can --> no such thing.

Over the years, I too have learned the lesson that temporary fixes will only go so far, and sooner or later, in the end, it will cost more when compared to fixing it properly in the first place.

Like the others said, if the head gasket is blown, replace it.

Plain water instead of coolant....I would never. Let's see now, plain water leaves you open to overheating, which could lead to cracked block, warped head, and so on.

Sorry, don't mean to preach.....but I've been there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
The best thing I have found for a blown head gasket is Irontite all weather seal, you just flush the radiator put in coolant and add irontite, let it run for a few minutes. Then just drive it slow, don't rev up the RPMs. It will last just long enough to trade it in, or last until you can get it into the shop.

It would be cheaper to replace the head gasket than to replace the car, however the labor to do so may be worth more than the car. The real question is what is the car worth to you, and/or would you like or can you afford a new one? Also sometimes taking the old engine out and replacing it with a new engine is cheaper than getting a head gasket repaired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
I've seen some people run just water in their systems, and I just shake my head. It's so sad. There's a REASON they make antifreeze! And it's not just for winter. It also prevents your radiator from boiling over, and keeps the water/antifreeze mixture at a near constant temperature. But hey.......it's your truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
in the cars of the 60's and 70's you could use straight water WITH A WATERPUMP LUBRICANT and a 180 - 195 f thermostat, but for the modern engine of todays vehicles? safest to go with OEM specs even if you use cheap aftermarket parts/fluids. OEM has these specifications for a good reason!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top