Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to trade in my 2007 Escape with a V6 and downsize to the new I4 2.5 L engine. Haven't been able to drive one yet so was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this engine? I do mostly city driving with an occasional run on the highway so I'm thinkin the I4 would be just fine. Thoughts? Thanks.

Bill. :yahoo:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can only provide an opinion on the V6.

LOVE it!

My last tank of gas (4th tank now)... Mixed city/hwy... 565kms! This is getting better milage than my Focus did!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been happy with the 2.3L. Haven't driven the 2.5 but was a passenger on a test drive in one and it seemed to have plenty of zip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 2.5 I4 should be fine power wise, but you may find it much noisier than a V6 when accelerating. It's quiet once you get up to speed.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Should be a great engine. I had the 2.5L in my 98 Ranger and that thing just wouldnt stop. It would spin BF AT 30's off the line.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've driven both and it looks like I'll have to make a choice - got an offer on the Odyssey...we'll see if it happens. I'll likely get slightly used - an 09 probably (I'm over "new" cars) but still have the same choice. There are over 250 09s listed on Autotrader in my area at good prices, even considering the 0% offer on the new ones.

V6 is quieter, but 4 cyl is perfectly fine. Power wise, to be honest, I didn't see a huge difference, but I drove a 2.5L 4x4 Escape and a 3.0L 4x4 Tribute for comparison. Shouldn't matter but who knows.

I'll probably just get whatever one has the best deal - you gain a couple of MPGs in the 4cyl around town and mixed driving, but by all appearances they get about the same MPG on the highway. It's me, my wife, and 2 small kids so I think either will do fine, and I commute about 40 miles round trip per day, so the extra weekly fuel cost for the V6 would be negligible. No plans to tow either. So, I am largely undecided - when I see the Escape I want, I'll buy it...either engine is fine with me. I really didn't notice a huge difference.

I did decide after driving the Loaded Tribute GT that the best value is the XLT Escape with cloth interior though - sorry to anyone who owns it but that has to be the worst leather I've ever sat on. And that Piano black trim? Uhhh...OK. Just give me the cloth and a standard interior and I'll save a few grand (heck, that could easily pay for the extra couple of gallons a month in the V6)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im not sure if this is the case with the escape, but I had a Mazda 3 (2.3l) before my v6 and the air conditioning was terrible on it. Since i moved up to the v6 escape I can't complain one bit. I actually had to turn the AC down a little since it was too cold.

Again this was on a mazda, but I wonder if it is the same with the escape. Anyone with the 4cyl care to chime in?

·
Registered
157 Posts
A/C on my 2.3L is not quite :frozen: but pretty good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
re: 4 vs 6 fuel economy. Looking back to July 2008 I paid $1.464/L for regular. Does that scare you? :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
We are happy with the I-4 2.3L Tribute that we bought. Great fuel mileage, like mentioned above it does have an exhaust rap on acceleration, but is quite satisfactory for normal duties. If I want to tow anything of substance one of the pickups becomes the vehicle of choice.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Leviathan said:
re: 4 vs 6 fuel economy. Looking back to July 2008 I paid $1.464/L for regular. Does that scare you? :lol:
That works out to $5.52 per US gallon. And Ford wonders why Canadians buy more small cars than Americans.

Highest i paid in the GTA was right after Katrina and it was $1.39/L. Summer of 2008 we were paying about $1.30 or so. Even still, for most people that adds up to a few extra bucks per week at most. Currently $0.98/L or so, and 6 or 7 cents cheaper in Ottawa. Wouldn't want the feds to realize the average motorist is getting hosed...

·
Registered
157 Posts
dash8man said:
Leviathan,

But everything is more expensive in Vancouver!! Lol. Cheers. :hyst:

Bill.
:yes: :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I had my Pontiac Vibe it had an I-4 and the A/C worked just fine and would quite easily get my car nice and cold. I honestly think its how they set up the A/C system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2010 V6 4x4 and find it adequate.
My friend has a 2009 2.5L FWD and she says if she had to do it over again she would definately buy the V6. They didn't have the color she wanted with a V6 and the salesman talked her into settling for the I4 because of the 6 speed trans made it feel a little more peppy. i wish she would have taken me with her when she bought it. I would have told the salesman to find the vehicle she wants or we can go elsewhere to buy a vehicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There is no replacment for displacment!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
I want to know if there are a good passing ability with the 4 cyl 2.5? the acceleration is acceptable? the cluth is smooth?
thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ours is an automatic but the 2.5L is pretty good. It won't go Warp 2, but I have no issues with acceleration or driving at sane highway speeds...anything above 95mph and it gets REALLY pissy, but normal people should be ok :D. I can get upwards of 31mpg for trips, which is insane for a non-hybrid AWD SUV that's only rated 17/25. We've been happy with our purchase, and we plan on driving it for a long time. Actually, my wife will likely drive it until it's paid off and then I'll drive it into the ground while she gets a shiny new car!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I drove both back-to-back. I could live with the 2.5L easily, but the V6 is much, much better in every respect, and with a very small penalty in MPG.

I had the choice and spent more for the V6. If you are going basic (ie: FWD, cloth interior, etc) then I'd go with the 4cyl. But if you are adding options, including 4WD, the V6 is the only choice IMO. Think performance and resale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts