Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
07 2.3L AWD auto 166K , 03 3.0 AWD auto 160K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 2.3L auto AWD 166K , wouldn't start at times when cold out. Scan tool shows no codes as also does the pcm. Then one day it was -5F started no issue. Watched cam and crank sensor on scanner phase, fuel pressure and all other sensors seem to read good. Replaced fuel pulse module started right up, shut it down due to not having coil plugged in. No start again. It had issues with scanner connecting and for ajar just going off at of time. Just before it got to point no start at all transmission started shifting odd and now I'm getting cylinder head temp code since last reset with no start also since. Any ideas because all I have left is pcm going bad. Last note pulled #4 plug and can get spark about once every 2 seconds and no fuel blown out of hole. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
When it will not start, check for 12V on the COP and injector windings. The COP should have 12 that is interrupted by the ECM to fire that COP. The injectors should have 12V that will open the injector when ground is presented at the ECM end.
Without 12V solid on both( I think) the engine will not have spark or squirt. If that is good, given the intermittent nature, I would be checking power and grounds.
tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it will not start, check for 12V on the COP and injector windings. The COP should have 12 that is interrupted by the ECM to fire that COP. The injectors should have 12V that will open the injector when ground is presented at the ECM end.
Without 12V solid on both( I think) the engine will not have spark or squirt. If that is good, given the intermittent nature, I would be checking power and grounds.
tom
Removed PCM a week ago, just for giggles replaced the Cam Positioning Sensor reinstalled the PCM car started no miss no CEL. Let car idle for 20 minutes and test drove. Transmission shift points are like they were just before it was no start issue. Long shift out of 1st and now car wont shift due to not enough power to get over 40mph out of 2nd. I was watching live scan and can see fuel pressure can't get above 40psi, I did check for spark and had spark with no ignition using ether before I pulled PCM. However I could count almost 2 seconds between sparks. I could see scanner reading when cam and crank sensor was reading with the no start. Also had new OEM pulse module and tried it, no difference in performance.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
My friend, it almost sounds like you have bad gasoline… Have you tried adding a fuel conditioner/evaporator(heet) to your tank?

I would also suggest taking your 12 V battery to your local parts store, and having them bench test it for load

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend, it almost sounds like you have bad gasoline… Have you tried adding a fuel conditioner/evaporator(heet) to your tank?

I would also suggest taking your 12 V battery to your local parts store, and having them bench test it for load
Funny you should say they. Because I just put 90 octane no ethanol in when I filled up before this came to a no start and transmission acting funny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts