Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an interesting problem....(It's a little hard to describe, so please excuse the layman terms)

Every so often, not everytime, my engine when in Park or Neutral, will rev up on its own or stick at a certain RPM.

When you drop it into gear it kicks back down to normal RPM and drives/idles normally.

Sometimes it will rev up on it's own...or if you give it some gas, it will stick at the RPM you let off the gas at.

This started happening when the weather started getting warmer.

No CEL or other warning lights are illuminated, although I have noticed a drop in gas mileage.

Any ideas?
:confused:
Thanks!
-Gerry

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just off hand , I would suspect the IAC (Idle Air Control) I see you have an "01" this was a problem (minor) Some have had success with removing it and cleaning it with throttle body cleaner. Others have by (when warm) remove the battery (-) cable for about 20 minutes. Reattach then warm up,turn on air, drive for 10min. It should relearn the Idle settings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine revved like that when I took out my intake silencer because I forgot to hook back up my maf. But that would cause a cel. Iac sounds like a good bet

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that makes sense :yes: After some intense googling, I think I have the basic idea on how to clean the throttle body and IAC...but does anyone have a quick how to specific to Duratec V6 Escapes? :shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I undertook the project this weekend, results came out quite nicely I think....

Idling problem hasn't returned, so hopefully this should be the end of it. If it comes back, I plan to just replace the IAC all together.

Thanks for the help guys!
-Gerry

·
Registered
92 Posts
when i cleaned mine it was the first time since i bought it i believe. just spray the maf, iac, and throttle body VERY VERY GENEROUSLY with throttle body or maf cleaner, it all works the same. mine used to fail to keep a steady idle it would jump up and down continuously until i did this. runs like new now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts