Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check your window seals. Mine wasnt to the point of entering the cabin. Just seemed overall a louder then it should be, like a crappy mirror design or something. Finally got around to playing with that as it had me thinking enough. Taped up the trailing edge of the mirror mounts to see if air was making its way behind the mount, and it was significantly quieter. Pulled the driver side mirror, and the styrofoam seal did look like it could be better in some spots, so beefed it up some, but no change what so ever in wind noise. Because of this, i rolled the window down to see if I could feel an air leak, particularly at the bottom where there is a gap between the mirror and horizontal bottom seal on the door. As I was poking around there, the felt on that seal WAS stuffed outboard of the actual window channel, but moved it to where it was inboard or in the channel (hopefully you will know the overlap I am talking about. I dont think mine is the only one like it especially being all 4 doors). With window back up, instant difference! Took the mirror back off and trimed the felt part of that bottom seal so it snugly meets the window channel instead of having to overlap it. I've only done the front doors so far since the back doors need the door panel to come off and the whole seal pulled out since the window only goes down half way. But wow, what a difference it makes! I'm surprised they didnt catch this when they started pumping them out of the factory! Or perhaps they did as there seems to be multiple part numbers for the same seals depending on build date. Anyhow, just an idea to throw out there for a free relatively easy "mod" to try and quiet things down inside.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In fact, found a picture on my drive of the overlap...this is what I am talking about.

Next up...I can hear some howl/noise coming from the overall hatch...as in noise, but no direct air leak or directional from one spot on it. Think I'm gunna try stuffing that seal with some backer rod per the how to to try and tighten things up back there.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have an 08 and there is HORRIBLE road noise (mostly wind)from the side of the doors but I have come to the conclusion that its from the B pillar area and the actual door. As there is only one peeice of rubber that is suppose to weather the elements and stop road noise. THis is between the where the fron t and rear door meet. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT JEEP IS USING ON THEIR NEW CHEROKEE, They state they have a TRIPLE guard or something that helps from the elements and road noise.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Man, you are full of all kinds of useful information....

I had the Escape out on the highway two weekends [going to my parents house a few hours away] and couldn't help but notice a tremendous amount of wind noise generated around the door/window area. I've been thinking all along that the bulky mirror housing was to blame, but I'll be looking into the window channel now too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts