Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. iv only been a member for a few days and just wanted to say this site kicks *ss.
ok my problem.....
my 2001 V6 Escape stated sputtering off and on it would do it for 1 day then run fine for a week then act up again for a day and so on
then it started doing it all the time and the check engine light came on. sometimes it would backfire and the light would start blinking. i know this means it's misfiring and you should stop running it ASAP before further damage is done. I noticed the intake manifold was coated with black oil so i pulled the intake off and cleaned it out and replaced the PCV valve and cleaned the lines. also changed the fuel filter. with no luck
code reader gave me the PO351error "ignition coil a pri/sec circuit fault "cylinder 1" so i replaced the coil on cylinder 1 and didn't test it right then to see if it fixed it "long story" anyhow i ran it today and it's still doing exactly the same thing. :wall: the check engine light came back on i noticed a puddle under the exhaust it doesn't smell like gas but I'm pretty sure it is cause it never happened before when it was running good.
I'm thinking maybe fuel injector should be my next attempt but why would the code reader say it's an ignition coil fault? i would think it would be a misfire code if it was a bad injector.
I am going out right now to switch coil #1 with another coil and going to drive it and get the light to come on and see if the new coil i got is maybe bad....slim odds i know but i'm outa ideas
Sorry this is so long but i wanted to let you know all the info i could.
also i know i should take it to a mechanic but money is an issue and i like doing the work myself

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
P0351-P0362(I think it ends there) codes are set when the PCM fails to receive an ignition signal from the coil. The problem can be anywhere from the PCM to the coil itself, and anything in between. Since you already replaced the coil, I would suspect the wiring. De-pin the coil connector and check for carbon tracking on the pins or an obviously spread pin. Check that the crimps are still solid, and drop a dab of solder there if necessary. Try to trace it all the way back to the PCM and check for continuity and connector condition at the PCM. Worst case, there is a fault in your PCM.

A long shot, but also make sure that your battery is in good health. Weird things happen when a battery goes bad and drops the voltage across the system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!!!FIXED!!!
posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=2857#

Well after to many hours into this its fixed. thank you to Squishy for keeping me on the right track! I was starting to think it was a fuel problem after finding the break in the coil ground wire and fixing it and STILL not running right.

checking the wire the whole way from the PCM to the ignition coil checked out Perfect! continuity test checked out perfect connections felt great and looked clean!

so i cut the wire within an inch of the PCM and also cut it within an inch of the coil and ran my own new wire the whole way. and that did the job. hasnt run this good since i got it. even chirped the 20's a little pulling out witch it wouldnt do before lol

the wire for the ignition coil on cylinder #1 is pin #26 on the PCM I am going to make up a small tut on this issue with a full pinout of the PCM and some pics and post it soon

Thanks again Squishy

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Great! :D

Looking forward to the writeup. Did you solder in the new wire? If you twisted the wires together like you would fixing a radio, engine vibrations can undo that after a while. It can even degrade crimped wires, but solder usually holds up. (Personally had one case where the solder cracked in -40'C weather)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch!! :frozen:
lol yeah i soldered them together and heat shrunk everything i didn't get a picture of soldering it on the coil end though cause i was so frustrated and figured it wasn't going to fix it and that i wouldnt be writing anything up about it. But i think i got enough pics to make due! trying to make a "how to" now. If you get some extra time could you edit it? I'm not very good at these kinda things just the way i word things and everything spell check missed lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldnt find anything! i didnt pull the wire the whole way out it's still hanging out in there. if i had to guess i would say it was broken somewere else on down the line cause i checked every connection and Super cleaned them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue changed all plugs all coils.still had the misfire that took forever for the code to show up again.Finally checked the #26 wire at the pcm and found the wire was broken after 1 inch near the pcm it was broken inside so sometimes it makes connection and sometimes not, stress obviously pulled it apart so check this before anything else i hear this is a common problem hopefully it will fix mine once and for all will try this week to fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
SO A QUICK QUESTION I CHANGE ALL IGNITION COILS ON MY 2008 V6 FORD ESCAPE AND ALSO DID A QUICK SPARK PLUG CHANGE AFTER ABOUT 3 WEEKS OR SO MY TRUCK STARTED TO ACT UP AGAIN AND NO CODE HAS COME UP ANY IDEAS BESIDES THE ONES ON THIS POST I DID CHECK THE CABLES SO IM STUCK THINKING WHAT CAN IT BE? ON HIGHT RPM HAS LOW LOSS ON POWER BUT IN LOW IS LIKE IT HAS NO POWER AT ALL!!! :lightning: PPLLZZZ HELP :tumble:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts