Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Escape started acting up the other day and I took it to Advance where they ran the diagnostics. Said the ignition coil went bad on cylinder "a". Guy doesn't know which cylinder this is. I'm assuming this is the first cylinder but don't know which one that is when looking at them. Can anybody help?

·
Registered
345 Posts
They didn't show you the readout on the scanner? Or give you a printout?
I would take the car back so they can re-scan it or take it to another auto parts store, so that you can get the actual code or codes.

I'm not an expert on codes or anything, but as an example a cylinder misfire typically shows up as P030X w the X = 1,2,3,4,5, or 6 for a V6.
I don't know what sort of code a bad coil will throw.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If it is in fact cylinder 1, you are in for a treat. That would be the infamous back (side closest to the firewall) row. Those tend to fail due to the combination of heat and moisture back there. It would be wise to either replace all three while you can, or at least rotate to front three to the back. Believe me, it gets a little annoying to have to pull the intake off repeatedly. You can usually find a great deal on eBay on a set of coils. Also, if you are the least bit mechanically inclined, this is a job you can tackle in your driveway and save yourself a bundle. One more thing, replace the upper and lower intake gaskets while you are in there along with spark plugs and coil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my mom actually took it being as I'm out of town. She was driving when the engine stopped running smooth and started feeling jumpy. She said the guy told her the ignition coil on "A" was bad, but that he couldn't point out to her which plug that would be on. She's not that technically minded, but that's what she says the guy said. No printout or code. I'll have to take care of it when I get home on Friday night. She has the new coil in hand but has no clue what to do with it. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just to reiterate & add some stuff... The little readers that the auto parts stores use should give the actual code(s), but the folks there often times can't tell you what needs to be fixed: going back to my example above, a misfire on cylinder 1 (code P0301) could be any number of things. Maybe the code you got for the cylinder A coil is correct & it needs to be replaced.

I had my codes read at Advanced a couple of months ago; the girl let me see the readout, then she wrote down the exact info for me. Their reader showed 3 codes & it showed that two of them were pending. Autozone provided a printout when I took my car there, which is preferable; when the codes are written down by hand, human error comes into play... I'd hate to waste time & money chasing a wrong code.

Also, I believe the scanners at the dealership are more comprehensive.
And as for the coil your mom got, I'll assume it's an aftermarket part from Advanced. If so, I'd find out if using it would be a good idea or not. For some stuff, genuine Motorcraft parts are preferable (edit: but that may not apply in regards to the oem coils - there have been a lot of complaints about them cracking). Others have mentioned some relatively inexpensive coils on ebbaayy that work fine, but you'll have to find out which ones. Replacing the rear coils on the V6 is a pain - it would be a drag to have to replace the new coil in a few months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll just see how this coil works out. It is indeed the 1st cylinder on the back row. Thanks for your help guys! Leo, I will definitely be doing it myself. Already planned on it considering that the shop charged my friend $200 in labor to replace one coil on his F-150 that repeatedly has coils go out (I'm guessing due to the heat and moisture you were talking about).

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
You need to know the code or you are shooting in the dark. Get it tested again. If the code is P035X then you the last number is the cylinder designation ie cylinder 1 is P0351 etc. then you know what you have. Look up the code on Google and it will have a good troubleshooting plan and fix It may be the coil but if she went through a puddle it could be a wet harness or junction. Remember to clear the codes after you install as old codes will usually stay until they are cleared and you might think you still have the problem but it's just an old code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It had been running rough intermittently for several weeks, but no engine light or anything. Then going down the road the other day it just went all the way with engine light and everything and the engine wouldnt stop shuttering. Ill take it by and ask for a printout when i get back in town tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't the ignition coil, so took that back to Napa. Replaced all 6 spark plugs today to no avail, though they needed replacing anyway at 130k. Any ideas? This is beyond frustrating...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Surfscape said:
You need to know the code or you are shooting in the dark. Get it tested again. ....
colemannd said:
It wasn't the ignition coil, so took that back to Napa. Replaced all 6 spark plugs today to no avail, though they needed replacing anyway at 130k. Any ideas? This is beyond frustrating...
You never really provided the code. If the code is indeed for a specific coil, it could be the wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts