Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Ignition Coil

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  hurk 
They didn't show you the readout on the scanner? Or give you a printout?
I would take the car back so they can re-scan it or take it to another auto parts store, so that you can get the actual code or codes.

I'm not an expert on codes or anything, but as an example a cylinder misfire typically shows up as P030X w the X = 1,2,3,4,5, or 6 for a V6.
I don't know what sort of code a bad coil will throw.

Just to reiterate & add some stuff... The little readers that the auto parts stores use should give the actual code(s), but the folks there often times can't tell you what needs to be fixed: going back to my example above, a misfire on cylinder 1 (code P0301) could be any number of things. Maybe the code you got for the cylinder A coil is correct & it needs to be replaced.

I had my codes read at Advanced a couple of months ago; the girl let me see the readout, then she wrote down the exact info for me. Their reader showed 3 codes & it showed that two of them were pending. Autozone provided a printout when I took my car there, which is preferable; when the codes are written down by hand, human error comes into play... I'd hate to waste time & money chasing a wrong code.

Also, I believe the scanners at the dealership are more comprehensive.
And as for the coil your mom got, I'll assume it's an aftermarket part from Advanced. If so, I'd find out if using it would be a good idea or not. For some stuff, genuine Motorcraft parts are preferable (edit: but that may not apply in regards to the oem coils - there have been a lot of complaints about them cracking). Others have mentioned some relatively inexpensive coils on ebbaayy that work fine, but you'll have to find out which ones. Replacing the rear coils on the V6 is a pain - it would be a drag to have to replace the new coil in a few months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.