Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was buying the oil, I failed to look at the oil correctly, and ended up getting two different oils. On the bright side, they comply with the "WSS-M2C962-A1" specification in the owners manual. Would it be harmful to mix the two oils together? This is for a 2021 Ford Escape SE Hybrid

-Edit: I've decided to return this oil, and experiment with "Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil." Seems promising. It's also far cheaper on amazon.

Automotive tire Fluid Automotive care Liquid Household supply

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
If they both meet or exceed the requirements, then no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Dexos 2 has more specific improvements for direct injection turbo engines, but Dexos 1 does as well, as does the entire GF-6A/SP oils which I am sure this falls under.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Dexos1 and Dexos2 (which is a GM thing) licensed oil exceed the GF-6A and SN+/SP standards/service categories. If anything, with using a "mix" (I don't consider it a mix) like this you consider the lowest rating, but it is still well suited for whatever year and engine you have if it has a 0w20 oil recommendation.

That ford requirement is for GF-6 0w20.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No problem. Oil is oil. Change oil every 5K miles regardless of what it says in the owner's manual. DO NOT DO AN EXTENDED OCI even if the bottle says the oil is good for 20K miles. Oil is cheap, the engine is not. The oil is even much cheaper if there is a rebate. Buy the top tier oil brand. If there is one on sale, buy it & stack for your next OCI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just finished changing the oil, but I'm having trouble recognizing whether I overfilled. I used around 5.7 quarts of oil in total, let the car idle for a bit, then gave it 30 minutes for the oil to go down. Could it be residual oil in the dipstick hole?

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

I used one 5 quart bottle, then part of a one quart bottle with some oil left (Picture below)

Granny smith Netbook Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile phone

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
If the oil on the dipstick is not continous, then the lower section is the more accurate reading. There could be residual in the dipstick tube that can wipe onto the dipstick as it is inserted/removed. My take is the highest continuous oil is the correct reading.
tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts