Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. It's late here..after 1am (I'm a shift worker)..just got home..and pondering things over a glass (or 2) of wine.
I don't want to sound rude or anything...I'm not trying to put anyone down...I am just...well.. intrigued.... :)

Why do people buy cars such as the Escape/Mariner/Tribute....which are clearly marketed as SUVs, not necessarily hardcore offroader 4x4s but still they do have all wheel drive, higher "ride height" etc., and then proceed to lower them, fit stiffer springs, lower profile tyres etc. and negate any off road capability that might have existed? I mean, why not buy a sports car? Or a sedan? Why not something that is already lower, sportier, etc.? If it's AWD that you're after then Audi is a winner in that department (I've owned 2 of them). Subaru do ok as well.
Like I said..I'm intrigued.
I can understand buying the Escape and modifying it to perform better off road or in the rough stuff...or sand.. or snow.. or mud. But as I said...why buy it then completely get rid of whatever off road ability it has to turn it into something it was never designed to be.

So...this isn't a put down of those that have lowered their Escapes and put 20s with 40 profile tyres on..it's just a question.. why?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its the same people who buy a Suburban and lower it to an inch above the ground or I saw someone lower a Dodge Heavy Duty with the double wheels in the rear. Who knows why they did it but thats what they wanted. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I would guess just to have something different. I think most people think like you do... Why? These folks think why not. It's a challenge. I'd also venture to guess that some people can only have one vehicle. They want a sporty car but need utility so they try to combine the two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If i may offer a humble opinion. Its the same reason people buy them with only front wheel drive. some people will never ever go off road with it but want more interior space than a subie. Personally, I think until you drive a car with 40 series tires and hit a rut and bend your rim you may not know better.
They then want it to be different than the other 10 million ETMs

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also wonder the same thing. I saw a Jeep Cherokee during the summer that was lowered, tinted and had 13" wheels sticking out about 2 feet more than they should have been - whitewall tires and all. I think it is somewhat acceptable to lower vehicles to a certain point, but the trend of slammed, angled rear wheels with the ride height 1.5" off the ground just does not appeal to me. But to each their own I guess.

Certain vehicles look better lowered like Passatts and GTIs. I love the Escape with 20" rims and lowered just a tad to look clean. But not lowered to where the top of the tire dissappears.

JEFFOS69 has the perfect look IMO.

·
Registered
324 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
If i may offer a humble opinion. Its the same reason people buy them with only front wheel drive. some people will never ever go off road with it but want more interior space than a subie. Personally, I think until you drive a car with 40 series tires and hit a rut and bend your rim you may not know better.
Hey now, I didnt go for the AWD for the fact that I wasnt sure if I wanted to pay the extra money for it, not to mention that it eats up gas. I didnt get the Escape because it was an SUV, I got it because I liked the style and it got awsome reviews. I didnt want a truck nor did I want to get the Focus hatchback. For the price and options, the Escape fit my needs and wants for a new vehicle. Sorry if my FWD Escape doesnt fit in here with the rest of you off roaders :(

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The beauty of this City is that every member is free to speak his mind out.
Some like lasagna, others hate the journalism class they have to take, and some wonder with other peoples modifications.As long as I feel free to express my opinion, whatever that is, then surely I belong here although my Escape has no more leather seats, it does not even has back seats and I risk a divorce every time my wife, in order to get in, she has to climb onto the rally bucket seat over the door roll cage bars...and she is not a young girl anymore.
We all have to brag about something.Myself about off-roading, you about consumption, someone else about the looks and on and on and on.
Every city has lots of neighborhoods.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mate....we all fit in. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
SUVord said:
The beauty of this City is that every member is free to speak his mind out.
Some like lasagna, others hate the journalism class they have to take, and some wonder with other peoples modifications.As long as I feel free to express my opinion, whatever that is, then surely I belong here although my Escape has no more leather seats, it does not even has back seats and I risk a divorce every time my wife, in order to get in, she has to climb onto the rally bucket seat over the door roll cage bars...and she is not a young girl anymore.
We all have to brag about something.Myself about off-roading, you about consumption, someone else about the looks and on and on and on.
Every city has lots of neighborhoods.
Bravo! Very well said! :) :clap:

christophera said:
Mate....we all fit in. :thumb:
Yes indeed! :yahoo:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Katscan said:
SilverSurfer said:
Hey now, I didnt go for the AWD for the fact that I wasnt sure if I wanted to pay the extra money for it, not to mention that it eats up gas. I didnt get the Escape because it was an SUV, I got it because I liked the style and it got awsome reviews. I didnt want a truck nor did I want to get the Focus hatchback. For the price and options, the Escape fit my needs and wants for a new vehicle. Sorry if my FWD Escape doesnt fit in here with the rest of you off roaders :(
Oh no its not a knock against it in fact I fully understand it. The reviews of the vehicle are generally great so I certainly see that. I am also a modifier by nature so I understand the lowering and low profiles which is the very same reason the the SRT Grand Cherokee exists, it just choice. Heck I may never get mine off road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
To the original post... why change a 4wd vehicle to something that will never go off road? Because we can, and also to be different. :D

SilverSurfer said:
Sorry if my FWD Escape doesnt fit in here with the rest of you off roaders
I bet most of the people on here never touch the 4wd switch, I never do, unless if feel like doing a cyclone in the winter, but that is it. I also avoid gravel roads and if I do have to take one, I slow down to like 10. (and thats not an exaggeration)

SilverSurfer said:
Personally, I think until you drive a car with 40 series tires and hit a rut and bend your rim you may not know better.
My tires are 45 series, but they are still bigger than a lot of small cars stock tires, rides smooth as glass.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had 205 40 17s on my VW way back. not unlike a rubberband on a rim. Needless to say hit a nasty hole in the road and bent a rare rim that had been out of production for a few years. It'll make ya a little ill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
everyone's different. I like the low profile look vs the off road style. IMO no wheel gap makes a car/truck look more flush and clean. I mean we drive escapes not monster trucks no need trowing a lift kit and 40 inch swappers on it. But again to each his own.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
--Reasons I bought my Escape:

I needed a new vehicle.
I needed to sit up higher, with more panoramic vision, since I'm only 5.2 ft.
I needed four wheel drive, since our home sits on a hill with a steep grade to the garage, thus almost un-drivable in the snow with a 2 wheel drive.
It had these nice grip handles to pull myself in, with my bad legs.
It had all the things our old sable wagon had, but was in a much tidier package.
(easier to maneuver into the garage etc.)
Back in 2001, it was the perfect size, had nice lines, came in the color I wanted,
------plus my nephew just had become sales manager of a large Philly dealership and gave us a great deal, with a lot of extras.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
christophera said:
So...this isn't a put down of those that have lowered their Escapes and put 20s with 40 profile tyres on..it's just a question.. why?
I guess different strokes for different folks. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quite frankly, I wonder why people spend a boat load of money on audio systems and shiny gimicky wheels and such as well. Except for maybe a little increased performance, I think the stock Escapes are a great little vehicle as they are.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Let's see.. I wouldn't (and don't understand why people) lower vehicles and do all that stuff. This includes taking a car and DONKing it. It totally baffles me. :barf: :bill:
I purchased LOCKDWN because my previous trucks engine blew and I needed an AWD vehicle, mainly because of the weather here in the Great Northwest. Rain, snow (which I think was the beginning of the demise of the truck) and anything else Momma Nature decides to throw at me. I have to navigate 8-12% (+ -) hills in Seattle so LOCKDWN gives me better viewing, more control, and I don't have a manual shift so no clutch to fry.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Likewise I fail to see the reasoning, but that is just me. I'm looking at getting larger and more aggressive tires next change, the off road abilities of the Escape aren't spectacular, but it's a capable little vehicle. I live out in the country, I've found reason to leave the road even on my daily commute to work. (If I see Tractors or Combines in the road, I whip it off into a field and wave at the farmers.) I need the 4x4 to get to work in the winter at bare minimum, and I don't plan on ever owning a vehicle that isn't 4 wheel drive.

Basically the Escape is what I need in it's stock condition. I make improvements for cosmetic reasons and to compliment it's existing abilities to make it fit my lifestyle better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts