Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check it out! color matched dash kit for the 08 Escape!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nice!!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weebee said:
Nice find! Was it $$$?
the dash kit is probably like $20 retail, although the wire harness was pretty pricey. i paid $45 for it, but i get dealer pricing. retail on the wire harness is probably close to $100. the dvd i picked up up for $300 and some change, retail on it is roughly $550.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
What does the wiring harness involve? Does it connect to the display module or the display module controller?

I noticed that without a factory HU, the top-center display shows "Ford Escape" (I like that).

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Weezy, that's a great set-up. Tell us about the installation. I think I read elsewhere here that it took some time to install.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That looks sweet! Good job! Are you going to hook a tv tuner to it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpark said:
What does the wiring harness involve? Does it connect to the display module or the display module controller?

I noticed that without a factory HU, the top-center display shows "Ford Escape" (I like that).
the factory unit has a plug that allows the digital display for time, song info etc. the aftermarket harness doesnt give that option. kinda sucks b/c i'm so used to looking at the dash for the time and not the radio.

the install wasnt too bad. the fit kit took a bit adjusting b/c the screen slides down. it's got a lip on the bottom side so the unit needed to be adjusted far enough forward so that in its closed position the screen didnt bind or jam up on the top of the dash kit. pulling apart the dash wasnt hard at all. with a little pressure i tugged on the top display, then took the bottom piece where the aux-in/cigarette lighter is, and 4 screws hold the face on. from there it was just a matter of wiring everything into it. and for all you guys who have an 08 escape, YES YOU DO NEED THE DIGITAL CAN BUS! i learned the hard way by buying the cheap universal 03-08 ford harness and it did not work one bit. from what my friend told me there was not a switch wire to turn the unit on on that uni harness.

as far as a tv tuner goes, probably not. by Feb-2009 analog signals will no longer be broadcast. everything will be digital. so i MIGHT get a digital satellite to put on the roof, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I was actually looking into one of those. They make one for only about $2995....no big deal right?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Weezy504 said:
<snip> and for all you guys who have an 08 escape, YES YOU DO NEED THE DIGITAL CAN BUS!
Yup, I can see that in the wiring diagrams. Does the new HU have the identical bus connections (there will be two, MSCAN + and MSCAN -)? If it does, I can show you how to connect it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jpark said:
Weezy504 said:
<snip> and for all you guys who have an 08 escape, YES YOU DO NEED THE DIGITAL CAN BUS!
Yup, I can see that in the wiring diagrams. Does the new HU have the identical bus connections (there will be two, MSCAN + and MSCAN -)? If it does, I can show you how to connect it.
errmm.. the wire harness i got had 2 connections and a brain.. but why dont you show me what you're talking about :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here's the "MSCAN" network wiring for the '08 Escape's factory sound systems.
* the "Audio Control Module" on the left is the HU.
* the "Front Display Interface Module" is the display module in the top of the console.
* the "Front Control Interface Module" is located above the HU inside the front center console.
* the factory "Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System Module" is located under the front passenger seat.

Before you use those two connections, you need to know if Ford's network is compatible with the one used by your HU, though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats my wire harness... except the blue wire on the smaller plug is pink, which plugs into the front display control :)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
wow pretty wires :bill:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
wow pretty wires :bill:
That's what I was thinking!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts