Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a couple of hours today (one of the hottest so far this year in Indiana) out in the driveway, uninstalling the factory "double-din" stereo and installing a new JVC KD-HDR50 and a Uniden BCT15 in its place. The vehicle is a 2003 Escape
The factory stereo only had AM/FM and CD. The new JVC stereo has AM/FM, HD-Radio, Aux In, Ext In, USB In and CD/MP3. The Uniden BCT15 is a trunking scanner which will allow me to listen to several different amateur radio bands, plus aircraft, public safety, business band and National Weather Service radio.

NOTE: For those of you in the U.S., check the legality of mounting a scanner within your vehicle in your state. In the state of Indiana, mobile mounted scanners are illegal with the exception of public safety and amateur radio operators. Being an amateur radio operator and emergency response volunteer, I fall within the exemption.

In order to open up the hole for the stereo to allow for the mounting of both radios, I used my Dremel tool with a fiber wheel to cut a little extra plastic out from above the factory hole. Initially, I had the Dremel on medium-low speed and had trouble cutting into the plastic, but, when I turned the speed up to high, the tool melted through the plastic like it was butter.

I have the stereo wired and working, but need to pull the scanner back out of the dash to run the power and antenna. I had considered putting a splitter on the factory AM/FM antenna to be used on both the stereo and the scanner, but I have reconsidered and think that I will use one of the two NMO-mount antennas which I installed over the winter.

The configuration may change later, once I am able to get my 2-way radios mounted in the vehicle.

The weekend will be busy, but I'm hoping to get a picture or two posted in the next few days.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello railyard77. Congratulations on the ' Uniden ' trunking scanner. In sth. australia our ambulance crews, use the trunking region of approximately, 415.000mhz to 418.000 mhz. As for down under, anyone scanning the ambos, would have them set up as 12.5Khz. increments as in tuning steps, or spacings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in the states, the trunking systems tend to be in the 800 MHz band. Of course, there are exceptions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

Just a railfan.

Here are the pictures.... Sorry that the fingerprints show up so much on the displays.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a railfan too. Went a little different route though. I installed a FT-8800R HAM radio plus carry a VX-170 HAM handheld.

Shoot me your email and I'll show you the railfan comm box I made that I swap between my Escape and Denali.

Look install looks good man !

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, don't think that the install is finished. What you can't see in this picture is that the center console is completely gone out of the Escape.
Once I find a good supplier for fiberglassing supplies, I plan to build myself a new console for the Escape, with space for mounting either an FT-8800 or FT-8900 and an HF rig like an FT-857.
I also plan to build an overhead console which will have some more useful overhead lights for driver and passenger, three speakers (one for the scanner, one for the VHF/UHF and one for the HF) and headphone jacks for each of those.
If the economy recovers some time soon and the household budget improves, I hope to put a safari bar, after-market rooftop bars and several lights to provide illumination, not on the road, but while stationary, such as when responding to a RACES activation. The switches for those lights would also go in the overhead console.

I'm hoping to make the install look at least semi-professional. I saw the "install" of radio equipment in a Dodge Colt in last month's issue of Popular Communications and was disgusted. It looked more like the junk box from under the table at a flea market.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thank you for those photos railyard77. That is a tidy looking set up. :) :thumb: I recognised the model designations indicated. Have anticipated you are a " YAESU" enthusiast. But that is cool, because they make some impressive equipment.

I be a ICOM devotee, but then it is each to his own. Anyway it is nice to know, that you have an interest ,in what is happening on the frequency spectrum. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.