Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Escape 2.5l, and it didn't come with a hitch, but I was thinking of adding one. I know the factory mount hitches require a hole in the bumper. Has anyone added a factory hitch and cut the hole themselves? I have a good friend that works in a body shop that I'm sure could do it no problem, just wondering if anyone has done it.

Any other recommendations for other hitches that may install easier?

I'm wanting to add it primarily for a hitch mount bike rack, and don't really plan on doing much towing (if any) since I only have a 2.5l (and nothing to tow). Just out of curiosity, has anyone towed anything with the 4cyl, and how did it do?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed a Hidden Hitch, class 3 trailer hitch from etrailer.com on my 2010 Escape. Install and wiring was pretty simple with some help from a friend. I am not mechanically or electrically inclined (as of yet) but overall it was easy. Also, there was no need to cut the bumper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely check out those hitches.

jpark, the link you added looks very helpful. I have searched on here before about hitches, but haven't come across that thread yet.

It will probably be a couple months before I get around to actually getting a hitch, but I will add some pics once I decide what to go with.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
The dealerships I talked to before getting my Escape said that adding a factory hitch to a Escape that hadn't had it installed yet was a $750 operation... for an option that costs $400 out of the factory.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking after-market is the way to go. I priced the one from Ford on their website, and it was a little over $200. I'm guessing the extra price comes from wiring and the bumper cover (possibly replacing instead of just cutting a hole?).

After thinking about it though, why cut up the bumper if I don't have to when there are plenty of other options that bolt right in and look just as good. Plus I'm only planning on using the hitch for a bike rack, so I'll save a little money by not doing the wiring.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well i did put a factory hitch on my escape but mine is an 03'. It cost me 25 bucks from the junk yard to get the hitch ,harness and the yellow flasher relay(replaces the blue flasher in the escapes w/o factory towing package).I had to take the bumper off in order to put that in because it goes in to the frame and the hitch it self replaces the metal bumper and yes i had to cut the bumper but just a little bit.Dremel is a good friend! :D .
Good luck!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I installed the hitch from U Haul on my 2006. I had to drill one hole, was very easy. I like the way it looks even though it sticks out below the bumper. For an extra $5 it comes with a lifetime warranty. I think I paid around $130 for it. Got the wiring from etrailer.com

Edit: The reasons I didn't go with the factory hitch were cost, and I don't like the way the smaller receiver looks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good call goldash03 and Rick. I am thinking of adding a hitch as well. If only to add a cargo carrier to extend the vehicle's capability.

I may need to check out the local recycling facilities. :yes:

·
Registered
439 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Good call goldash03 and Rick. I am thinking of adding a hitch as well. If only to add a cargo carrier to extend the vehicle's capability.

I may need to check out the local recycling facilities. :yes:
If you go to the junkyard you need to remember that you need only 3 things!
1.hitch
2.the harness(that if you don't have it on yours already)
3.yellow flasher to replace the blue one.(check yours first)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got an early Christmas present from the Fiancée. Got home from work yesterday and there was a large package from etrailer. Inside was a Class III Hidden Hitch.

Apparently it was too big for her to hide by herself before I got home from work, so I ended up getting it early. I'm not sure when I'll have some time to install it (she says I have to wait till after Christmas), but once I do, I'll put some pics up.

Looking forward to it :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
You could always install it now, and put on a bow for Christmas. Then Christmas morning take the bow off and "open" your present.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
etrailer said:
You could always install it now, and put on a bow for Christmas. Then Christmas morning take the bow off and "open" your present.
:thumb:
I like your idea. I was thinking I could probably put it on while she wasn't home, close the box back up, and she would never even notice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
RickWakeman-

What hole did you have to drill? Where did you buy the hitch, at a UHaul location where you get the trucks at or online? Sounds like a good deal for $5 getting a lifetime warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts