Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 Mazda Tribute DX and are getting ready for 25 hour road trip. We have an overhead video monitor that we would like to install and it was suggested that we could use the 12V from the dome light since we have to remove it to install. Is this as easy as it sounds, just hook up the ground to chassis and splice the purple and green wire from dome light to the red lead from the monitor? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sounds simple enough go for it

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram for a 2001-2004 Escape, which has identical wiring to the Tribute.

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... 04dome.jpg

You're almost right in your second post: the VIOLET with ORANGE STRIPE wire is the +12V dome lamp circuit, so this is the wire you need to connect to the RED wire on your video monitor.

BUT, and this is important: connect the video monitor's BLACK ground wire to any metal part, such as one of the roof rails (or the BLACK wire, if you have a factory power moonroof). Do NOT connect the video monitor's BLACK wire to the LIGHT GREEN with ORANGE STRIPE wire, since that is the active-low dimming circuit for the dome lamps. You could destroy the GEM (Genereal Electronics Module) or the video monitor, since this is pulsed ground current being switched by a transistor.

Just remember that the +12V dome lamp circuit will stay active after you shut off the engine and remove the key, so be sure to turn the video monitor off when you're through using it! It's protected on the +12V side by the battery saver circuit after 10 minutes, though.

As far as the fuses go, your splice is probably shorting out against grounded metal somewhere. It's also slightly possible that the video monitor draws more current than the dome lamp circuit can handle, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Just remember that the wiring is entirely different for 2005-2007 E/M/Ts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do I do with the light green/org wire? tape it off or does it need to be connected?

Also, I will post photos. I appreciate the help and would be glad to make it easier for the next person :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Did you disconnect it from the dome lamp?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Aha. If it's replacing the dome lamp, then the LIGHT GREEN with ORANGE STRIPE wire should be securely covered and isolated.

Does the video monitor now work correctly with the BLACK wire connected to metal ground?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called my husband and he said that he had hooked the black lead to ground and capped the Lt Gn/Org wire last night (or should I say at 1 am this morning).
Attached a portable DVD player and there is video. Going to try the Ipod touch next. Wireless headphones haven't arrived but there is an RF modulator built-in the monitor to play over unused radio station.

Appreciate the support!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm glad that it worked! Have a safe trip, too!

:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paisley999,
Any chance you can post some pics of the install? I am currently trying to decide between headrests and the drop down screen. If you could aso give me a heads up as to posibble problems I might run in to I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Darron

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is a photo of the drop down screen from John Morton's 2006 FEH:

This install can be tricky if one has the curtain airbags in the side/ceiling of the vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts