Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape - installing PIE aux unit. I removed the radio from the dash and unplugged the 16 pin connector and the antenna.

I have a separate wiring question regarding the PIE, which I'll get to in a moment. While waiting to get the answer to my PIE question, I wanted to reinstall the radio "as is." I plugged the 16 pin connector back into the head unit and also the antenna. The HU is dead. No power, no lights, no anything.

The fuse, 12, is fine. I used a testing light and found that I am getting power all the way to the 16 pin connector. In other words the power wire - position 9 on the connector, is hot. So there is power getting through the connector. But for some reason the HU won't respond. At all.

Is there a fuse on the head unit itself? Is there some stupid trick or step I am missing? Please help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found the solution. If anyone else has this problem, be aware that there are two fuses on the panel that affect the radio. One is #12, which is labeled as the radio fuse. But there is a second fuse - #27 I believe - that is located at the bottom right. It is the only fuse that fits in vertically, the rest are horizontal. I checked all my fuses out of frustration and, lo and behold, I found that one blown. I slipped another fuse in (5 amp, that is what had handy, but it's supposed to be a 10 amp) and VOILA - power to the HU. Glory be.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Glad you figured it out :thumb: Thanks for posting the solution :peace:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are welcome. It was really frustrating to have the HU completely dead. I KNEW I hadn't done anything stupid that would cause the HU to fry. I knew there was power getting to the HU as my test light confirmed there was power at the harness. It had to be a fuse...but I checked and rechecked fuses and didn't find any blown. Finally, I ran across a thread online that mentioned this second fuse!! Five minutes later the whole thing worked.

And now I understand what all the fuss is about with these PIE units. It is slick....

I'm curious where people mount their 3.5mm jack. I ended up putting mine inside the cubby just below the HU. I have a retractable cord that fits right in there so I don't have to disconnect it in order to hide the cord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts