Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
dcpopo said:
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of a glue gun.
DON'T use hot glue!!!!! Use Singer fabric glue and clean the surface of loose debris first. I then use a screwdriver handle to remove any air pockets, then use a pizza cutter around the edges to tuck the fabric back in. Hot glue will be lumpy and will cool too fast.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good luck with those spray adhesives. I tried a 3M spray adhesive and it made a mess and only stayed on for about 2 weeks before peeling off. Now the fabric is stiff and turning slightly brown from it. Here is what I used :http://www.joann.com/singer-sew-no-more-fabric-glue-3-4-oz/1075704.html?mkwid=uFMk0GCy|dc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Crafts&CS_003=12310052&CS_010=%5BProductId%5D&gclid=CKSJ0rKj-sYCFYcWHwodzpMO2g
I applied it to the panel in an even coat and rolled the fabric right on to it. Just stretched it and tucked the edges in. looks much better and has lasted for well over a year possibly two by now. Living in FL this is an accomplishment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried Permatex heavy duty headliner and carpet spray adhesive. Didn't work worth a damn. Plus, whomever had the Escape before me (which was a couple weeks ago) must have stretched that vinyl insert a bit. I just could not get it tucked in properly. Just not enough material to tuck in the bottom.

I'm clueless at this point and gonna call a body shop tomorrow for an estimate. And I noticed that the drivers front feels bubbly, like it's coming delaminated. I thought about just pulling them off and tracing out some carbon fiber stickers that I've seen used. It's a wrap of some sort. Thought I saw it in these forums if memory serves me correctly. I'm just done dealing with it.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Professi ... B003VWL4ZO

When applied correctly, it works fabulously. Done all 4 of mine while still in the car over a year ago and they are still fine. The trick is getting the edges pushed in. I use the rounded edge of a paperclip. Perfect tool for this project.

Spray both sides and let sit for a few minutes then put the material on, smooth out and tuck in the edges. Best if you can leave overnight. VOILA! Fixed! :yes: :thumb: :shades: :yahoo:

·
Registered
50 Posts
TAKE THE FABRIC OFF, CLEAN REALLY WELL AND APPLY AN INTERIOR TYPE SPRAY PAINT. ANOTHER USER ON HERE HAD DONE THAT AND IT LOOKED GREAT, hE USED EITHER kRYLON, oops, had caps on, sorry. anyway he used a textured product and as I said it looked great, I'm going to do that during this coming Dec. and if I can ever figure out how to drop a pic on the site I will put them up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems almost everyone with Older Escspes and Mariners are having issues with the upholstery on the doors peeling off and leaving that nasty black backing and residue behind. I bought the 3M spray adhesive for car upholstery and repaired all four of my door panels only to have three of the four come loose again within a few months. I thought about this issue and I read tons of earlier posts. I had noticed that under the edge of the backing material the plastic door panel underneath wasn't smooth, in fact it had sort of a pebbled/cobblestone look for lack of better words. So I decided to remove all of the old material down to the plastic underneath without damaging the plastic. I used WD-40 to soak about a four inch square area of the backing material. Then I carefully used a razor blade to shave several slits into the backing material. Then I used a wide plastic paint scraper to get the backing material to start coming loose. I again used the razor blade to carefully cut the backing material deeper and again used the paint scraper until I could see the textured plastic door panel underneath. I kept working the same way until I removed all of the backing material. The door panel looks a lot better with the textured finish versus that nasty backing material. I have a few very small areas where there is some leftover backing material still stuck to the panel as well as some white spots of the factory upholstery adhesive. I'm hoping Goo Gone or something similar will remove that without damaging the colored door panel. I have before and after pictures of this, as well as some pictures of the work in progress. I hope this helps other users with this issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BigT105 said:
It seems almost everyone with Older Escspes and Mariners are having issues with the upholstery on the doors peeling off and leaving that nasty black backing and residue behind. I bought the 3M spray adhesive for car upholstery and repaired all four of my door panels only to have three of the four come loose again within a few months. I thought about this issue and I read tons of earlier posts. I had noticed that under the edge of the backing material the plastic door panel underneath wasn't smooth, in fact it had sort of a pebbled/cobblestone look for lack of better words. So I decided to remove all of the old material down to the plastic underneath without damaging the plastic. I used WD-40 to soak about a four inch square area of the backing material. Then I carefully used a razor blade to shave several slits into the backing material. Then I used a wide plastic paint scraper to get the backing material to start coming loose. I again used the razor blade to carefully cut the backing material deeper and again used the paint scraper until I could see the textured plastic door panel underneath. I kept working the same way until I removed all of the backing material. The door panel looks a lot better with the textured finish versus that nasty backing material. I have a few very small areas where there is some leftover backing material still stuck to the panel as well as some white spots of the factory upholstery adhesive. I'm hoping Goo Gone or something similar will remove that without damaging the colored door panel. I have before and after pictures of this, as well as some pictures of the work in progress. I hope this helps other users with this issue.
Might be easier to see if you can source some Mazda tribute door panels. They are just hard plastic and there isn't any upholstery to come off. Some model Escapes had the same. I did this for my sister in law and never had to deal with it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2003 Tribute ES, and the door panels have a vinyl insert (pleather). And all four of them are flopping around because they have become detached from the panels. Several years ago I stopped by an upholstery shop and was quoted a price of $135 to re-do all four of them. Stupidly, I did not take the Tribute in to get them done. Not sure how much they would charge to do them now. But even for $200 it is worth it to have someone repair them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts