Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching for awhile to try and figure out how to turn my interior lights out while i have my hatch open.

I have searched these and a few other forums to no avail.

If anyone has any idea how i could do this, the advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It cant be done. UNLESS!! You wire a switch. Ive been planning to do this becuase I want control of the lights by a switch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
On mine, there's a three-way switch on each light panel (front and rear) that lets you set the light to either be always on, on when the doors/hatch are opened, or always off.

I don't think you can do something where the lights come on with the doors, but not the hatch.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ours has the switches as well. I guessing,maybe pre-2008 didn't have the switches. This is really important if you have the doors open a lot, if you're packing, camping etc.

Check your manual, the lights MIGHT go off after a time.

Or, as we did with the old Windstar, you wire in a switch. Get the wiring diagram (from library etc) and put a switch in series with the wire that energizes the relay that manages all interior lights. Then with the switch off, opening a door would not turn on any lights, but I could still turn on the interior lights form the dashboard, and the map lights anytime. At night we just turned the switch on so the door switches would all work again.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My lights turn off automaticlly when left open for about 10 mins. But if you have the keys in the ignition the light will stay on. I make trips to Home Depot and carry things out the glass of the hatch and the lights stay on, I can shut off the other lights with the switches attached to the lights except for the front map lights where the sunroof button is.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I am sure there is a logic to the interior lights. But after a thorough search, I have not found it. Imo, they are the most confounded set of switches yet :confused: ! Especially when my wife moves them around and doesn't return them to the normal operating position. i.e.; open door = lights on! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Not sure what year, model or options you have but this is what the owners manual says about the interior lights on my '02:

INTERIOR LAMPS

Dome lamps and map lamps

The front dome lamp is located overhead between the driver and passenger seats.

The dome lamp will stay on if the control is moved to the passenger side position. When the control is in the middle position, the lamp will only come on when a door is opened. If the control is moved to the driver's side position, the lamp will not come on at all.

With the control in the middle position, the dome lamp will illuminate whenever any door is opened. If any door has been opened from the outside, the lamp will remain on for 15 seconds after the door is shut.

The map lamp controls (without moon roof) are located on the dome lamp. Press the controls on either side of each map lamp to activate the lamps.

If equipped with a moon roof, the map lamps are located on the moon roof control panel. Press the controls on either side of each map lamp to activate the lamps.

This map lamp will illuminate whenever any door is opened. If any door has been opened from the outside, the lamp will remain on for 15 seconds after the door is closed.

Cargo and dome lamp

Rear cargo lamp equipped with an ON/OFF/DOOR control will light when:

* the doors are closed and the control is in the ON position.
* the control is in the DOOR position and any door is open.
* the headlamp control is rotated fully counterclockwise.

When the control is in the OFF position, it will not illuminate when you open the doors or fully rotate the headlamp control.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I really doubt that the problem exists with the control panel in our Tribute, or for that matter, this operator... :shades:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2005 Mercury Mariner. I was at a drive in at the autorama in North Ridgeville OH, and one of the nice staff their showed me a really cool trick. With the hatch up, look at the actual locking mechanism on the hatch. The part that would click around the metal bar when it is closed. Think of it kind of like the bolt part of a masterlock - with the hatch open it is set to open. Now take a key or other object and push the metal locking mechanism until u hear it click twice. Your lights will automatically shutoff. This makes the vehicle think the hatch is closed. You will need to pull up on the doors outside latch door handle to reset it and close the hatch when you are done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 09 that i got yesterday. XLT, no moon roof. the dome light does not have a switch. It has 2 push buttons only. my issue with it is, when backing up in the dark, that dome light is REALLY bright, it doesn't shut off fast enough for me. i woudl rather it not come on at all when i open or unlock the doors.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just keep pushing the buttons until it does what I want. Those dome lights always confuse me. But then again that's done easy enuff.... :doh:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
hankhill11 said:
I have an 09 that i got yesterday. XLT, no moon roof. the dome light does not have a switch. It has 2 push buttons only. my issue with it is, when backing up in the dark, that dome light is REALLY bright, it doesn't shut off fast enough for me. i woudl rather it not come on at all when i open or unlock the doors.
Welcome hank. Obviously your '09 is different from our '08 XLT on this point, however there MUST be a different way for you to kill the lights; this is too important a feature to have been dropped. You might find it has been integrated into the dashlight dimmer or elsewhere. Let us know!

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah. i was foolish. i had no idea the dash dimmer turned that on. After i found that out, i went into hiding for a day or so, and now feel ready to admit that! thanks!

on a side note, i noticed those dome lights get reALLY hot!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
On a topic related note:

What I do is kinda silly I guess, and not totally convenient, but it works for when I'm stopped.

I flip the door latching mechanism with my finger for the hatch or glass when I have it up and either want to leave it open for an extended period of time, or want to work out of the back with the radio playing (Like when I'm working on my other truck.)

Only thing with that is to always remember to pull the opening paddle before closing it or it will slam on the latch and possibly mess the door up. I've forgotten a few times :doh: and it sounds bad but hasn't hurt anything yet, but I don't recommend it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts