Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, former toyota tech here looking for advice from Ford techs. Im working on a 2010 Escape XLT that was towed in after the passenger side cv joint literally exploded while going 70mph.
The carrier bearing bracket snapped off and the cup holding the joint was completely dry with no grease whatsoever.

From YT videos, it looks like the intermediate shaft should slide right out but this thing is just moving up and down and won’t release even with a air hammer, slide hammers, pry bars and forks. The owner mentioned he had difficulty getting into gear before the axle snapped.

Is the broken axle a symptom of a bigger issue like damaged PTU/trans? Did the splines friction weld themselves?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rattle the shaft with your air hammer while pushing and pulling. Use a blunt tip close to the transmission on the side of the exposed shaft or the inner housing of the CV joint. A little vibration will loosen the C clip and allow it to center.

Ask for suggestions or solutions at www.iAtn.net

Truly a great place for professional answers. I'm a paid member.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwight, thank you for the tip. After another day of hammering, the shaft only moved about half an inch. I suspect that the passenger axle has been snapped for a long time and was still being driven with no load on the intermediate shaft. The heatshield is also missing. My conclusion is that the already sensitive ptu cooked itself from free spinning the shaft. Off to the tranny shop it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts