Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!
I'm a newbie here and was have been reading posts here and there. I have seen that a few people have lifted their escape using BDS springs or something similar.
What I was wondering is...has anyone seen/built a true trail rig style Escape? I was pondering this while watching SpikeTV this weeked. I realize that the escape is a unibody and has no true low range transfer case but could all of this be added. With a bit of research, I found that a 91-94 Explorer has a wheelbase about an inch shorter than an Escape. Is it possible to strip an Explo down to the frame/drivetrain and drop and Escape(minus the engine and drivetrain) on top the frame? I have seen a few lifted Explo's in my time so I figure if it was possible you could use the lift on the Explo frame and have a rather trailworthy Escape. It would involve TONS of cutting, welding, and cutom work but I think it could be possible.
Something to think about I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
With enough money anything is possible. I really like the looks of the escape and wanted to make a mini monster truck out of it initally. The only way to do it would be as you describe. Jack up the body and slide a 4x4 under it.

The chassis and drive train started life as a mazda 626... so it really is a car. (did I really :bag: say that)?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Surfscape said:
make a mini monster truck out of it
Yeah, Rob did this to his. :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Yes I did :yes: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll bet that there wasn't even much welding involved.

·
Registered
416 Posts
jpark said:
I'll bet that there wasn't even much welding involved.

I don't know, that looks like a pretty extreme transformation of an Escape.
But what do I know? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Is it possible? Yes! Has anyone done it yet? Not to my knowledge. I know I have seen 1 guy that has lifted his Escape 3" or so but that's it. I would love to see if someone is able to do this to their Escape...it could start a whole new world of moddin over here :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I did hear about someone dropping in an Explorer V8 - with that drivetrain, you could probably lift it up. There might be too much flex in the body for rock crawling, but muddy trails should be fine for a unibody like ours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neat R/C car above. :)

I wasn't trying to convert the Escape into a rock crawler...just looking for an off road worthy one. Simple trails and fireroads kind of thing. I'm not looking to go crawling up the Rubicon with it though. Although, imagine the face on all those jeep guys if you showed up in a solid-axle off road Escape. They would probably drop dead...especially if it works!

Just wanted to get an opinion or two. Tossed the idea at a local shop round here and got the "now why would you do that?" . Well duh, because no one else has. :D

I'm gonna have to go look for one for cheap $$$$ and blown drivetrain. Then learn how to weld...then find an older Explo. Yeah, good luck. Just tossing it around in my head.

-The Legoguy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts