Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody makes a conversion kit to turn the 2001 to 2003 Escape into a seven seater, by using a new bench seat in the boot.

Over here, we can get them for various estate cars, and 4X4's such as Mercedes M class, Volvo XC70's etc, but cannot locate one for the Maverick (01 onwards), but they are available for the previous Maverick model (the Nissan Terrano version).

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think I've heard of one, possibly for the Taiwan-made Escapes. I can't imagine it being too safe, as you would be sitting right in the crumple zone.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
What Squishy just posted. I would apply that to he Nissan version as well. I wouldn't think it takes much more than some seat mounting mods and you would be in business. But wonder about the safety of such a configuration.

Why not look at the Ford Galaxy mini van? That is it's name isn't it? Or are they out of production now? I'm thinking that Chrysler offered a diesel version of their Voyager minivan in Europe. Do you have any of the RHD available used in GB? Imo, that's what I'd be after should I find myself in your position.

I think you have successfully just about worked your way out of the SUV crowd. :calvin:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am determined not to own what we term "People Carriers" over here, which includes the Ford Galaxy, and it's badge engineered clones, the Volkswagen Sharan and Seat Alhambra, as they have quite a few reliability issues.

There is the Chrysler Voyager, and Grand Voyager, but again, noted for reliability issues and running costs.

This reduces options somewhat, and I must admit I still need a 4X4 option, so that tends to leave me with the previous style Land Rover Discovery (1998 to 2004), or the Nissan Terrano (1994 to 2006), the latter being the twin of our origional style Ford Maverick.

Hmm, maybe a Landrover Defender 110 County Station Waggon is what I need, as you get 12 seats with those, giving plenty of room to allow for future (ahem!) family expansion, should I ever need it

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Oh, I knew that VW and it's bastard cousin Seat were unreliable. VW sales have been in the tank for the past twenty years in the US of A because of that.

I was hoping the Ford wasn't unreliable. :worry: Then again, it is built in Germany. :doh: And German engineering is crap imo. :shock: At least when it comes to reliablity. Nice to drive :p , waste of money to buy and expect it to operate as advertised. :spank:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You get to be universally hated on the roads, but the benefit is that no traffic laws apply to you! :woohoo:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Camus. I reckon the ' Land rover Defender '. Can anticipate, the latest models are far too expensive.

But i suppose, all the earlier models are more flexible in pricing.

Even though, i am not too familiar with them, the diesel Land Rover would be nice.

The diesel engine, so as to obtain fuel economy.

_________________________*************************______________________

Some people are, slowly beginning to use " Hybrid cars " down under.

But in context of dedicated " 4X4 Offroad " vehicles, DIESEL engines are exceedingly popular out here.

The ' hybrid' technology is slowly catching on.

Not sure about other states.

But in Sth. australia, " Diesel " powered 4x4 wagons, have good sales figures.

Diesel technology still has the, reigning position in my state.

_________########

Ideally i would have, liked the ' Escape ' with a diesel motor.

My relations still drive six cylinders.

Petrol prices keep on increasing out here.

I have nothing ,against powerful engines as in six pots.

But unfortunately the world is changing drastically.

## ## ###

This is exactly why i have a four cylinder.

Ideally would have preferred a " DIESEL ".

Even better economy. Plus the main benefit is less maintenance.

I do respect the ' HYBRID ' technology.

But the main preference is ' DIESEL '.

My service tech mentioned that " Diesel is the way of the future ".

##

A good example is MAZDA. They have released the new Mazda6 sedan in australia.

This new model, has the 2.2L four pot diesel engine in it.

They estimate about 1,000 KMS Plus extra to a tank.

A lot of people have earlier model cars, with the LPG gas idea.

But on newer model cars, it has been creating problems.

##

My service tech noticed that, the LPG systems interfere with tuning, plus a few other things.

Certain people think LPG, for fuel economy is the " Bees Knees".

But it just is not quite the solution.

An older brother, suggested i should have my Mazda 2.3 L on a LPG system. :lol: :hyst: :hyst:

It is a four cylinder, and i would not gain anything significant.

Could not believe, that he thought it would be feasible.

###

I found his view point quite amusing.

Told the mechanic about this.

We both cracked up. :lol: :lol:

Service tech, said it could be done, with the emphasis on ' BUT!'

The mazda engine has advanced electronics.

There is the computer, plus the overall design of motor.
##

My service tech, mentioned that i would experience a lot of problems.

The main issue, would be that it, would interfere with tune of motor.

Yes, i do respect that people are achieving good economy with LPG.

Personally i regard LPG as being over rated.

The service tech, is of the same opinion also.

LPG is just an alternative option.

##

To me the most important, technologies are DIESEL and HYBRID.

For australia ' Diesel ' has a reigning position.

It has prime position in the freight industry.

A lot of semi trailer drivers have diesel engines. It is critical for them.

It is a strong working engine, plus being very reliable.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you can fit 13 people in a smart car

I'm sure you will fit 7 in the Mav.

Otherwise you could import a 7 seater Territory :wave:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, lets see what I make of those suggestions.....

White Mercedes Sprinter Van....Overpriced for what it is, at work we have it's sister van, the Volkswagen Crafter as a Minibus conversion instead, as they are both quite a bit cheaper to buy and run, and, dare I say it, better quality.

Ford Territory, would be great if it comes with the "invisibility device" as standard ;)
However, shipping costs would be rather high ...........

As for Ford Galaxy's, even Ford realised that the VW/Seat/Ford version was problematic, hence they have brought out a completely new version, but they are quite expensive as well.

Indeed, the decision in the Camusdarrach household is to stick with the Maverick if I can fit in 3 baby seats in the rear, look for a 7 seat conversion, or failing that, start searching for either a Nissan Pathfinder 7 seat estate, or a LWB Landrover Defender 110 5 door station wagon, as the can seat up to 12 people, or in our case 1 adult, 4 children (wifes viewpoint ;) ), a dog and a heck of a lot of "Mini me" crap in the rear...............

Only downside is cost, as our piggybank appears to have contracted some form of fever at the moment, and is sadly quite low in weight at the mo ;)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Hmm, lets see what I make of those suggestions.....

White Mercedes Sprinter Van....Overpriced for what it is, at work we have it's sister van, the Volkswagen Crafter as a Minibus conversion instead, as they are both quite a bit cheaper to buy and run, and, dare I say it, better quality.

Ford Territory, would be great if it comes with the "invisibility device" as standard ;)
However, shipping costs would be rather high ...........

As for Ford Galaxy's, even Ford realised that the VW/Seat/Ford version was problematic, hence they have brought out a completely new version, but they are quite expensive as well.

Indeed, the decision in the Camusdarrach household is to stick with the Maverick if I can fit in 3 baby seats in the rear, look for a 7 seat conversion, or failing that, start searching for either a Nissan Pathfinder 7 seat estate, or a LWB Landrover Defender 110 5 door station wagon, as the can seat up to 12 people, or in our case 1 adult, 4 children (wifes viewpoint ;) ), a dog and a heck of a lot of "Mini me" crap in the rear...............

Only downside is cost, as our piggybank appears to have contracted some form of fever at the moment, and is sadly quite low in weight at the mo ;)
Any used Expeditions or Tahoe/Suburbans available? Surely some are out and about the British Isles. I don't know about over there, but they are virtually giving them away here.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never come across any here, all we have is the 1996 to 2000 Ford Explorer (RHD), must admit they do look great in the "North Face" version (I.E. dechromed)

Vauxhall imported the Chevy Blazer from 1998 to 2000, think they sold about 5 in total...........

The problem is that petrol is just far too expensive to justify running a 4.0 litre engine.

As for other American vehicles, we have the complete Jeep range here, but apart from the Patriot, they are'nt good sellers, and we can also get the Lincoln Navigator, but they tend to be owned by Football players of certain Premier League clubs (e.g David Beckham has one, ) which is he best reason not to even consider one of those.............

Isuzu and Vauxhall jointly produced the Trooper / Monterey and Mu / Frontera, neither of which are now in production, but the Trooper is a good 4X4, the Montery version was just a posher Vauxhall version, made for about 2 years.

Oh, a dealer in Manchester imports Humvee's, hmm :calvin:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You keep going towards the minivan territory by wanting 7 passenger seating.

The Exploder gets about the same mpg as the Expedition or Tahoe, and it is smaller. That's why I didn't mention the Exploder. The Escape has pretty much taken over the Explorers' orginal target market. IIRC, Next year Ford is going to the unibody build for the Explorer. Smaller everything. Bigger mpg and interior. Better build quality.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That's great latan. He does have to drive over there to have it fitted to the Maverick... :bang:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts