Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject in question: 2006 Escape XLT

Was curious if it was possible to disable/turn off the daytime running lights w/o pulling the parking brake. Located in US, so DRL laws not a problem (to my knowledge at this time).

thanks

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
just trick the truck into thinking that the park brake is on, wire up a toggle switch into the park brake circuit. but if you don't mind me asking why wouldn't you want them on? after having them for a few years now, i find i turn on the lights when im in vehicles that don't have drls. its safer.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Just pull the parking brake to the first click. The shoes won't make contact with the drum.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Install a toggle switch, or convert it to US spec. IMO, I'd just drive it with the lights on. They are reduced power during the day, so what the heck. I'm not a lover of DRL, but driving with them on doesn't cost a penny. :peace:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Visit a Ford dealer and ask them to disable your DRLs. 2005 and newer models have the DRLs controlled by the Smart Junction Box, but it's not something you can control (other than by using the parking brake).

It should take the dealer about two minutes to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I normally turn my lights on anyways. I was merely curious (thanks for the parking brake answer, i was curious about that too), as i know some cars do allow you control the DRL. I knew the escape didn't have an express way to do it, but was curious if there was a round about way. Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This reminds me...when my DRL's are on, the tailamps are on too...I find this bizzare, as it's the only vehicle I've had/seen with DRL's that have the tailights on too (well, they are on when the vehicle is parked, not sure about when it's moving).

Is this normal? I kinda think it isn't...

Also, I was looking at websites to convert the headlights into HID, and they said that you have to disable the DRL's to make the headlights work properly...I would love to do the conversion, but the more I research into this stuff, the more hassel it seems like it's going to be, making me want to just buy larger (HD) wire harnesses, and get higher power aftermarket bulbs. Which brings me to another thought...why is it that NOBODY sells aftermarket Lowbeams for these trucks in Ontario? I mean, Sylvania, GE, and others MAKE them, but nobody sells them...just the highbeams...

L8tz

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Davis137 said:
This reminds me...when my DRL's are on, the tailamps are on too...I find this bizzare, as it's the only vehicle I've had/seen with DRL's that have the tailights on too (well, they are on when the vehicle is parked, not sure about when it's moving).

Also, I was looking at websites to convert the headlights into HID, and they said that you have to disable the DRL's to make the headlights work properly...I would love to do the conversion, but the more I research into this stuff, the more hassel it seems like it's going to be, making me want to just buy larger (HD) wire harnesses, and get higher power aftermarket bulbs. Which brings me to another thought...why is it that NOBODY sells aftermarket Highbeams for these trucks in Ontario? I mean, Sylvania, GE, and others MAKE them, but nobody sells them...just the highbeams...

L8tz
LOL Touchy subject!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Newby here! Second Escape I've owned / Ford owner for over 30 years (pull my cold hard fingers from my F-350 kinda' guy). :thumb:

This was the closest thread I could find to disabling my DRL's on my 08' Escape. Just really never cared for them-always seemed to be a sign of a leased vehicle-don't want them! Less things working=less maintenance=less parts that are wearing out IMO! When you get my age/the less work the better LOL!

Anyway...is taking my 08' to the dealer to modify the setting of the aforementioned Smart Junction Box the only way to disable them?
I tried the parking brake, (mine's on the floor/pedal type) with no results. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Davis137 said:

Also, I was looking at websites to convert the headlights into HID, and they said that you have to disable the DRL's to make the headlights work properly...I would love to do the conversion, but the more I research into this stuff, the more hassel it seems like it's going to be, making me want to just buy larger (HD) wire harnesses, and get higher power aftermarket bulbs. Which brings me to another thought...why is it that NOBODY sells aftermarket Lowbeams for these trucks in Ontario? I mean, Sylvania, GE, and others MAKE them, but nobody sells them...just the highbeams...

L8tz
Not to change the tone of the original post to much towards HID, I live in Canada where DRLs are standard. As for the HID, I got a Bi-xenon kit from carId.com. If you get the wire harness with relay, it compensates for the DRL low power. The kit is fairly cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread. But was there any solution to turn off DRLs completely?

I also installed the Bi-Xenon kit. The Bi-X kit has the HIDs on as DRLs even in the 'OFF' position.
But having the DRL(HID's) on during the day does cost a penny in the long run :D

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
What year is your Escape? On newer models, the DRL's are controlled by the SJB, and you have to go to the dealer to have them activated/deactivated. Also, many dealers don't like modifying parameters in the SJB, so be prepared to hear "It can't be done" a lot.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Isn't the DRL's a safety thing? Not to be a party poop but i thought posts like this are not allowed anymore..Or never was..But then when i read the posts i have seen MODS responding with answers and especially the BigMan himself (JP) so it must be ok and not that big of a deal...Just wondering...

Please put a fork in me if i happen to be wrong on this particular post... :?

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Depending on what package was ordered, and where the vehicle was delivered, the DRL's can be either on or off from the factory. For example, my 08 Hybrid does not have DRL's activated.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I guess my point was that the Mods no longer want postings on disabling safety features on cars.Like airbags,traction control,etc....But i not sure if this post applies.. I know it can be at the dealer but they likely are not gonna disable them for ya for that reason of safety concerns..

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
I think the fine line is this: Although DRL's are a safety feature, and IMHO they're a good idea, they're not mandated if you live in the US. DRL's are required for the Canadian market though, and vehicles sold in Canada must have the DRL's activated.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
This is a fine line. Alarms aren't a mandated saftey feature but we won't allow a dicussion on how to disable them because a thief might be asking why or find the info and use it for bad things. You know the internet. :bill: Anyway, my take right now is this, the main reason to shut down the DRLs is to install HIDs and the jist of it is you need to have a dealer change some programming do this. At this point, no rules have been broken. If people start to discuss changing the wiring we might have to step in. It just depends on how it progresses...

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Good Call Mods, Anything involving disabling any safety or security system should be stopped. Yes there is the obvious freedom of speech side of me but there is a bigger safety concern that should be thought of not only to the driver but others. Rob brought up the possibility of a thief using the information for ill will and that is a possibility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts