Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now to the new owner obsessive compulsive disorder.

Just curious - are the fuel guages in the E/M/T line really this accurate? I am used to Honda where the guage stays stuck at FULL for nealry 100km, slowly drops to half, then plummets to empty. Half on a Honda guage is typically closer to 1/3, or at least 2/5 full.

My new-to-me 09 Escape just seems to be falling from F in a slow, linear fashion. Drive 20 miles, it falls a wee bit. Drive 40, it falls about double what it did driving 20. I've put about 160km (100 miles) on it so far, and I have dropped just a hair under the 3/4 full mark from a full tank - mixed commuting including some bumper to bumper, some 70mph cruising, some urban. If it follows this pattern all the way down I think I will be quite happy with the mileage.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
The fuel gauges in our Escape (08 XLT V6) and Mariner (09 Hybrid) are accurate. :thumb:

Glad that you are enjoying your Escape! :)

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
The Escapes don't go far before the gas needle starts to move. I had a Honda Civic before my Escape and could go 50 miles before the needle moved. My dad's Honda Odyssey can go almost 100 miles when driving all highway. My Escape's needle will move after 10 miles. After that it is very linear when you drive consistently...

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Depending on my driving habits for the two-week period and the weather, I cross the first 1/4 tank in as few as 60 miles (this happened pretty often in the winter) to as many as 120 miles (last tank). Under 'average driving habits', I can squeeze out about 350 miles before the car starts to freak out about having "0 miles to Empty" (when there's enough for about another 20 miles minimum).

On trips through rural Minnesota or back towards home in Michigan, I can run pretty close to 375 miles per tank. I hit 100-110 at the 1/4, about 150-175 at the half, and 200-250 at the 3/4 mark. We both run 4WDs... some people I know with FWDs have been seeing pretty close to 400 miles per tank (on the highway mostly though).

The previous Escapes (pre 08 gen) that my dad leased always seemed to drop the first six gallons very quickly (1/2 tank) and then the last 10 took forever.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In my 2001 Escape XLT, I noticed a bit of a parabolic flavor to my fuel gauge. It can sit on F for quite a while, then start to meander down toward 3/4 of a tank, and then all of a sudden AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it streaks down toward 1/4 so fast I swear sometimes I can almost see it moving as I drive; then, when it gets down to near empty, it can be near empty for what seems to me like 50 more km.

At least I know that, with this vehicle, E is not really E...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RobtRoma said:
The Escapes don't go far before the gas needle starts to move. I had a Honda Civic before my Escape and could go 50 miles before the needle moved. My dad's Honda Odyssey can go almost 100 miles when driving all highway. My Escape's needle will move after 10 miles. After that it is very linear when you drive consistently...
Exactly my experience coming from an Odyssey - I could go 80, 90 miles on the highway with it wedged on "F", be at nearly 300 miles at mid point, but by 450 miles it would be slamming into Empty - you could almost watch it sink.

Good to know it is linear - or at least pretty close - as it started moving after 20 miles or so of driving, and coming from a Honda, I started wondering if I'm going to get only 80 miles out of the whole tank!! It'll just take some getting used to!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think mine is pretty linear as well. I stop filling on the first shut off. I think the few clicks after tend to overfill and hang the gauge on the full mark longer.

My pa-in law used to go by his fuel gauge to brag about his mileage in a V10 Dodge 3/4 ton. Man he was getting nearly 20 mpg looking at the gauge. I borrowed it frequently and got from 5 in-town to 12 hiway.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mine's pretty accurate. I know that I get over 400mi/tank, which equates to 50mi per 1/8th (or per line).

I shoot for that every time and nothing has changed.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Mine is dead on the numbers. I drive over 3k miles a month back and forth to work. It's at 358 miles before I need another fill up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts