Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some new front lifting springs from Canuk Motorsports. Everthing looked great when it came off the lift but as I started turning the wheel a loud pop occured that came from the springs. As if when I turned the wheel the spring ends would get caught on the turn then pop loose, as well as when it popped the alignment went astray. The alignment would come somewhat back when I turned the wheel the other way and have the pop occur on the other end. So I am totally lost as to what it may be, tomorrow I am going to tackle it again. Now the thing that I know I missed is the top rubber (thin) stablizer as it didnt fit the new spring. I am going to try putting it on as well as a peice of rubber hose.

I took it to a mechanic (as Im not familiar with the strut system)to take a look at it and he said it all is put together nice and tight but the top of the spring is missing the rubber stablizer (as noted above) and thats why I hear and feel a rougher ride as well as the popping sound. Now hes was being honest and didnt charge me to look at it, but I think there is more to it that a thin stablizer that makes the psring pop and alignment go astray.

Now this is the same springs that MEGASCAPE has. So I cant see how his fit with no problem but I am hitting a problem

ANY HELP IS MUCH NEEDED AND APPRECIATED, THANKS

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok went back out to my motorpool and got back on the lift and fixed 90% of the problem. :yahoo:

There is no longer a spring pop. I went and disassembled the front suspension and found that I had #7 and #6 on upside down refer to this

The only problem left if the sound of the struts and spring hitting each other. I need coil insulators, in mean time I used the OEM insulators and water hose tubing. I really hope getting coil insulators will fix the problem....... :barf:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah simple mix up that was hard to find. #7 and #6 slides into #8 and is the pivot point for the spring to move sepreatly from when the wheel is turned. When #7 and #6 are flipped upside down there is no pivot point and the top tip of the spring barley catches the other side #6 and makes for the pop when the wheel is turned. (hard to explain)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I did have to tighten my bolt on the CV joint I think I have a picture of it on this board some where. Right behind the front left tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts