Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so if you havn't seen my other post from 3 days ago, my 08 escape just had a transmission issue and got towed to the shop yesterday. That turned out to need a solenoid pack replacement. I decided to change the spark plugs on my 01 escape while I waited for that to be repaired, and now I am having issues with that!

So the vehicle is the 4 cylinder, 2.0 manual escape. I changed the spark plugs like I mentioned, it was spluttering a touch before i changed them so hoped this would fix that, however now it runs like absolute CRAP, I live in vancouver and it has no power to get up even the slightest incline, it also is inconsistent with its power delivery to the wheels, causing the car to be jumpy when driving. I am fairly sure all of the plugs and cables are connected properly, and in the correct order (I am going to double check this in the daylight tomorrow) but don't really know what could be the cause of the problem. It also flagged up an engine code, which is P1451, apparently an electrical issue with the EVAP system, I have no idea why this is the only code showing, given how it is now running, as I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue really.

Any help would be appreciated because I really wouldn't like to have to call the BCAA out for the 2nd time in a week >.<

·
Registered
348 Posts
Could be the ignition coil pack. just a guess. My 2002 2.0L was running poorly & underpowered at speed, so I replaced the coil pack. also the spark plugs & plug wire set at the same time. I don't recall how I determined the coil pack was bad.

PS: be sure to install the correct spark plugs. I would stick with OEM. wrong plugs can cause the ign coil to go bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I triple checked the spark plugswere fitted and gapped correctly and its still running like crap, ended up taking it into a shop and they have said that the coils are mostly shot and it generally needs a tune up, as well as replacing the EVAP solenoid.

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
98 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I triple checked the spark plugswere fitted and gapped correctly and its still running like crap, ended up taking it into a shop and they have said that the coils are mostly shot and it generally needs a tune up, as well as replacing the EVAP solenoid.
I was going to say, if after messing with the plug wires- it ran worse… I would replace the wires, and coil packs.
people seem to neglect the engine intake air filter as well. run a bottle of a fuel injector cleaner through your gas tank...

that is pretty much all that is involved with a tune up.

I would think that with it missing so bad, you would be getting a ton of other emission type codes.

If you are not getting a code for the evap solenoid, I would not replace the evap solenoid, it is usually integral to the evap canister anyway. that generally won't affect power, only your economy/emissions output.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Sometimes the rubberish 'boots' on the coil packs deteriorate, especially if there is oil in the spark plug well. They can then allow the spark to jump to the cam cover, sides of the well. That causes misfire. If you had oil leakage into the plug wells, it would behoove to replace the cam cover gasket along with the plug well gaskets. Not real expensive, but may avoid ruining the boots on COPs.
tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts