Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1989 Camaro IROC Z/28 350.

Bit disappointed with the 230hp output from such a large engine. Although the 330lbft of torque makes up for it, and the 6.4 seconds to sixty (if it's accurate) doesn't sound too bad either.

How are 3rd gen Camaros viewed over there? Any horror stories?

It's up for £5,600 and has done a genuine 28,000 miles apparently.

Dunno if it's worth perpetually nagging my Wife to see if I can make her a believer!! :calvin:

·
Registered
297 Posts
looks lovely, i really like! I've got my eye on a chevy V8 engined car as a replacement for the Focus too.... I havent told the wife yet...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Nice what you've fallen for.......hope you can get up!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Very good condition for the year. I would pay that much for it. :thumb: :rockon:

ummm, want to borrow my knee pads so you can get started sweet talking the missus?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

I always liked the bodywork on the 80s Camaros and Firebirds, and that color is awesome.

I agree with weebee---I'd pay that much for it.

I'm still looking for a 1992 or 1993 Daytona IROC or IROC R/T in good condition...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
As the saying goes in the aviation industry, It is a hanger queen. They love the garage. If your handy with tools, and like living under the hood you will love it. If you like 10-12 mpg, you'll love it. Otherwise, step away from the car! My nieghbor in the old hood had one. Always had the hood up on the weekends... ;-|

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jonas1022 said:
As the saying goes in the aviation industry, It is a hanger queen. They love the garage. If your handy with tools, and like living under the hood you will love it. If you like 10-12 mpg, you'll love it. Otherwise, step away from the car! My nieghbor in the old hood had one. Always had the hood up on the weekends... ;-|
Oh dear, I didn't realise they were so unreliable.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I also don't want to be breaking down miles from home! :worry:

Maybe I won't pester the Wife after all! :whistle:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Mostly he was replacing emissions hardware, if it could be called that. Lots of plastic gizmos that failed every 10-20K miles. Some of the hood up was his doing, but mostly the cars'.

I just reread your initial posting. It's a 1989! I think GM has made most of that cars parts obsolete. In other words, you goiing to have to get parts from Day One, USA One and other aftermarket warehouse sales. ;) Great collectible car, just not DD material. When it was introduced, I thought for sure the Mustang was going to be put on the shelf by Camaro. It didn't happen. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Big Chris said:
jonas1022 said:
Oh dear, I didn't realise they were so unreliable.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I also don't want to be breaking down miles from home! :worry:

Maybe I won't pester the Wife after all! :whistle:
:stop: No, they weren't that unreliable. I know a few people that still have them and work on them every weekend. But not because they're breaking down, but because with a car like that you just have to tinker with it. One weekend you'd buy a better set of plug wires, a hotter ignition module the next, etc,etc
It becomes an hobby instead of a way to get from point A to B. But, it's a hot car in great shape. Chevy is alot like Ford. There engines are so detuned it isn't funny. With a few bucks you can get 325 HP out of that thing. Not to mention what will happen with the torque, and your neck

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Let Jeremy's experience with his Camaro make your decision for you. ;)

I think overall he loved it, even though everything was broken, it smelled like cow, and had several previous "murderers".

He had the same complaint as you about such little horsepower out of a large-displacement engine, but that's what I love about American pushrods. Adequate horsepower with stump-pulling torque. Keeps the engine purring along at 1500 RPM.

·
Registered
370 Posts
nice car, but i would go with the mustang LX same moto as GT, but lighter, so it is a little faster. the mustang LX was the perferred car of the highway patrol for years. it has the 302c.i V8, which has more than held it's own for years, i think ford still uses it today.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
abide01 said:
nice car, but i would go with the mustang LX same moto as GT, but lighter, so it is a little faster. the mustang LX was the perferred car of the highway patrol for years. it has the 302c.i V8, which has more than held it's own for years, i think ford still uses it today.
So true, The LX models were big sleepers, not that hot looking but watch out!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
That Camaro is sweet. My younger brother had a 3rd gen Trans Am. I think it was a first year '82. Anyway the thing wasn't the fastest but it handled like it was on rails and it looked and sounded great. He did have some issues with it... but he was also 20 yrs old and beat the crap out of it.

I just checked the Kelly Blue Book and it is saying an excellent condition '89 Camaro IROC should retail for about $4,500 USD. The £5,600 seems a little steep but I'm not into collectable cars and I don't know what the pricing is like over there in the U.K.

If you get it, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Are you thinking of a Maverick replacement here???
Personally, I wouldn't buy it, because to me it seems a tad expensive, but there again, if it has a good history, and the car is in A1 condition, I can understand the seller asking that amount..

Keep an eye on it, as the price is bound to tumble over the coming months, who knows, you could end up buying it at a bargain price ;)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You want a American sport coupe? I can put you in touch with a couple
Brits that can help you score a Mustang Bullitt. They are quite popular, easily meet the safety and emissions specs for GB. Bullitts are relatively reliable and are less expensive in so many ways than the Camaro you are looking at. Also, years built for the Bullitt are 01, 08 and 09. Just something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Brits that can help you score a Mustang Bullitt. They are quite popular, easily meet the safety and emissions specs for GB. Bullitts are relatively reliable and are less expensive in so many ways than the Camaro you are looking at. Also, years built for the Bullitt are 01, 08 and 09. Just something to think about.
Now thats a car! I miss my Mustang!

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
weebee said:
jonas1022 said:
Now thats a car! I miss my Mustang!
Your Mustang was very nice, weebee ! That sure is a sharp looking Ranger though. Best looking Ranger I have ever seen !!! :yes: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts