Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jaguar and landrover have , its been announced on the BBC's news, approached the UK Government for "Financial Assistance", to help them survive the present financial climate, but it looks like they will not succeed, as a Government spokesman stated " The financial standing of a company is down to themselves, not the taxpayer".
Appears they got the idea from the USA bailout proposals.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7789055.stm

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Isn't Tata Motors now responsible for Jaguar and Land Rover?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpark said:
Isn't Tata Motors now responsible for Jaguar and Land Rover?
Yep, so it should be Tata's problem, not the British taxpayer.
Indeed, why should the taxpayer bailout a manufacturer of luxury cars (LR Defender excepted) when the vast majority of us cannot afford their products.

It may be a slightly different matter if it was Ford, or Vauxhall (AKA GM), needed help, but around this area there are fields full of new and unsold cars by BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Jaguar and Landrovers, estimated to be over 15,000 cars in total :shock:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Tata might be an appropriate name for what might happen.

:lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
the cheeky barstewards!

I'd rather my money went into woolworths - as a great (perceived at least?) British brand. If the new owner of Jag and LR has made a bit of an error of judgement then ho hum....

Wanst the last HM Gov owned car maker (proper) British Leyland... famous for the Maxi and Princess??? :lol: then followed by the great Rover fiasco - look where a few quid of public money got them (except for another Labour election win from the Midlands seats!!)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I was thinking that Ford still owned a small portion of the JLR consortium. No? :confused:

It was bound to happen. Imagine the dire straits that Ford of UK would be in if they still did own all of Jag, and Land Rover?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I think the american government tries to make too many of other peoples problems their own...which is what is killing us in the economy.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
arbs said:
the cheeky barstewards!

I'd rather my money went into woolworths - as a great (perceived at least?) British brand. If the new owner of Jag and LR has made a bit of an error of judgement then ho hum....

Wanst the last HM Gov owned car maker (proper) British Leyland... famous for the Maxi and Princess??? :lol: then followed by the great Rover fiasco - look where a few quid of public money got them (except for another Labour election win from the Midlands seats!!)
Too true, Arbs...
When Woolworths went into administration, did they go to the Government for help, no.

That was a shop to be found on just about every High Street, and indeed is a Great British Institution, and approx 1000 people have now lost their jobs.

Jag and LR, however, sold their heritage out years ago, and their products are noted for reliability issues, no wonder then that people would rather have a Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts