Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have been getting PM's and open requests for possibly making a false-floor sub box for people. This got me thinking for a bit, and I think I can build this for the 2008+ non-hybrid E/M/T.

One-off designs on one's own vehicle are very different than a mold-made design. If I have enough interest to do it, I can make a mold and construct a limited run of fiberglass sub boxes made to fit in the false-floor of our SUV's.

This is only in the thought and planning stages right now, but I do have the ability to actually mass-produce identical boxes if enough people want one. I can do this because I can make a positive and negative mold of the intended design, and create the same design again and again without resorting to using my own truck's floor each time. This is how professionals do it, they build a master mold with the actual vehicle, then build a positive and negative mold to recreate the intended design, using gel-coat. It isn't practical to build like this when doing my own because that's just one, but if enough people want a false-floor sub of their own then I can handle the expense of making a full mold. The advantage of a mold vs. a one-off would be that it is almost entirely fiberglass, so it would lighter than the one-off like mine in my truck, and more space-efficient.

I'll leave it up to the community. If I build one like this, we need to decide on how much space it will take in the back, and what sub options are worth building for.

Cost would probably be in the $380-430 range, plus shipping. To pull something like this off I would have to purchase large quantities of fiberglassing products, protective materials, specialized mold building tools, etc. But it can definitely be done if enough people are interested.

Just reply here if this sounds like something you want.

EDIT:

This will be a running list of the interested people-

1. Sinister Mob - OUT
2. Mentalcase - OUT
3. 09Ltd - DEPOSIT SENT
4. 6foot9inchmonster - DEPOSIT SENT

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am interested for sure. After seeing the final product I would LOVE to purchase one. Ideally room for 2 amps and 1 sub would be my desire. I would love to purchase it, drop in the electronics and go. I am not sure about others, but I would want the ability to store the jack hardware somewhere under there. Maybe with the extra space of only 1 sub, the jack and hardware could be held in there nicely.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sinister mob said:
I am interested for sure. After seeing the final product I would LOVE to purchase one. Ideally room for 2 amps and 1 sub would be my desire. I would love to purchase it, drop in the electronics and go. I am not sure about others, but I would want the ability to store the jack hardware somewhere under there. Maybe with the extra space of only 1 sub, the jack and hardware could be held in there nicely.
I wrapped my jack hardware in soft foam and stuffed it all in the right rear jack area, all in the original opening. No noise, and plenty of space. Consider that before using space in a false-floor arrangement.

How this would work is that I would gather the interested people, set a deposit (probably right at $100 each) which would let me purchase the materials necessary to build a full mold, building materials, etc., and then I could take money one at a time while making them. Once the mold is complete, production would take roughly one weekend per box.

If you guys ever want to see how its done, there are really good vids on youtube regarding making two-part molds for fiberglass sub boxes. It gives you a taste of how much goes into each one, and the results you can expect.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sounds good. However the jack location on the 2010 is in the false floor. Basically there is a tub in the plastic floor with a little removeable opening and the jack/tools are in that spot. In mine the right handed compartment is open (stufffed with a first aid kit now). I would want to keep the jack in the same hidden spot. I assume the chassis tub where the battery would go is the same dimension though. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sinister mob said:
Sounds good. However the jack location on the 2010 is in the false floor. Basically there is a tub in the plastic floor with a little removeable opening and the jack/tools are in that spot. In mine the right handed compartment is open (stufffed with a first aid kit now). I would want to keep the jack in the same hidden spot. I assume the chassis tub where the battery would go is the same dimension though. Keep us posted.
No I know, the 2008 had the same thing: parts in the false floor. But trust me, pull open the storage spot on the right side, and revel in the space you have. Go check it out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
VERY interested, sign me up. I would love one to fit a 12-inch flat sub, similar to the one you are doing now but only 1 sub? I am ready to "move up" from my JL Stealthbox 10. 12 would be so much nicer. I have only 400 watts going to the sub though so 2 12's would be too much. Unless I change/add amps. Either way I am interested, add me to the list.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think most people here would like a single Stereo Integrity BM MkIII for a box like this. Its the ultimate shallow sub, I must admit. I love (love) love my pair, but I don't push them anywhere near their limit.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BurghBeagle said:
I would love to go in, but I am willing to bet that my wife will shoot me if I do. It's her vehicle, after all :D
Well the beauty of a false floor is no lost trunk ability, so you can sell it on that if you want. :p

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mentalcase said:
Can one SI be wired to a 2ohm load??? If so then I could use the amp I took out of my previous car.
It is a dual 4ohm, so yes indeed it can do 2ohm final load.

·
Registered
781 Posts
BurghBeagle said:
I would love to go in, but I am willing to bet that my wife will shoot me if I do. It's her vehicle, after all :D
She'll never know it's there.

Haven't posted in a while, but keep up on the reading. I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mentalcase said:
Awesome! Too bad that group buy pricing is finished, but I still need to get one.
Yeah, luckily I think he's still doing intro pricing, which isn't too bad.

Its not cheap, but it is cheaper than its closest competitor the JL slim sub, which it outperforms.

I can also design the box with another sub, as long as the specs are similar. Really it all comes down to what the community needs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6foot9inchmonster said:
BurghBeagle said:
She'll never know it's there.

Haven't posted in a while, but keep up on the reading. I'd be interested.
Until you crank it up, and bass rumbles from nowhere. That'll get some looks of amazement from her I bet.

See, I'm blessed. My wife has so become used to good audio that she has my back when buying and building things like this.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI I think with 2-3 more people I can pull this off. With the current 3 people who are on board, it can still be done, but I would have to make each one using the traditional wood-fiberglass method. Its less pretty, less light, but still effective.

I'd still like to see a couple more, so I can afford to do it with a mold.

·
Registered
781 Posts
fourthmeal said:
FYI I think with 2-3 more people I can pull this off. With the current 3 people who are on board, it can still be done, but I would have to make each one using the traditional wood-fiberglass method. Its less pretty, less light, but still effective.

I'd still like to see a couple more, so I can afford to do it with a mold.
Never added me. :cry:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took care of that!

OK, this is very quickly becoming a reality.

If I make these, can everyone build around the design and make the floor to suit their amps and such? You need me to just make the sub box as low as possible, right? I think I can get about 1/4" lower than I have on my design as it sits. Its a close, close fit but with the SI BM sub it was possible using the Madisound grill.

Is that what everyone wants?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would really just need the box for the sub made. I could make up an amp rack for my amps. Im not too worried about the height. I would just like it to be flat when I put my seats down. Also, do you think one of those dayton subs would fit instead of the SI??

1 - 20 of 120 Posts