Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in to have some stuff replaced under warranty. I was getting a musical from my suspension on certain turns (nothing special, just a special combination of turns) and had, according to the invoice, a connector and shaft assembly replaced. If I remember correctly, one of the items was a U joint. The noise was primarily sourced from the right side.

That was Saturday.

Today, I was driving around town and I kept getting a loud clunk/ping from the left side of engine bay. I can only imagine that something is now bad on that side or, hopefully, just loose from the whole steering assembly needing to be separated to get the parts in Saturday's operation fixed.

Today's clunks and pings were much louder than the ones I experienced before Saturday (and I had that going for about two months)... but it might be because they were on the other side of the car.

Today is Monday!

It was a little muggy outside today.

Any suggestions? This is kinda making me go :wall: and a Fusion is suddenly a really interesting idea...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Unfortunately, Tang, it is the same or similar issue with the TSB that was "suposedly was taken care off.Steering column and steering rack support issue.Don't get mad. Get even.I would take it back to them and won't accept it back until it is fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GUESS WHAT!

I need a new steering shaft and U-joint. I brought the car in this morning and my service advisor (on behalf of the tech) said that the tech thinks the replacement shaft and U-joint were bad from the start. If those two things fail again, my STEERING COLUMN might need to be replaced.

He looked as baffled as I did, I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, back to the shop on Monday!

My warranty history is four pages long, landscape-format. Maybe it's time to legitimately think about a newer/different vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
WTF! this one sucks... since they said that the shaft and U-joint were bad from the start, they should have a free replacement part for these... did u asked them for a free replacement?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the repairs were completed under warranty... so basically all it entailed was another trip to the dealership.

Forgot to update... but the third time might be the charm... steering's good as new!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good!!!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'd like to think it's better than new... ;)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey Tang hope you dont sell it and hope it continues to run good. If you decide you would like to sell it let me know. Im looking for another Escape, although I might wait till the next generation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought my 08 Escape (130,000kms) into CT to get the steering shaft replace. I've had the truck since June 2007. A couple of days ago we were going through a Drive Thru, when after completing a tight turn I was straightening out the truck and I heard 2 cracks and felt them in the steering column, that was a sickening feeling. When I brought it in they told me it was my steering shaft. The part is coming from the FORD dealer and when I got a quote from FORD they were going to charge $202.12 for the part and $109 for labour...and I asked about a wheel alignment and he said NO unless I had unusual tread wear prior to the incident. CT (Canadian Tire) told me it was a mandatory thing to do a wheel alignment, I opted not to do the alignment and followed the dealerships advice. CT was charging me the same price but also wanted a wheel alignment done for 70 bucks. I'll be buying winter tires within the next month, if need be i'll get the alignment then. I still love my Escape !!!

Steelcowboy
Moncton, NB

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Sorry to hear, about your escape problems Tang.
Yes it would be dissapointing.
Very much so on a new vehicle.

I see yours, is basically new as in 2009.
My impression is that, a steering shaft would be a major component.
For example ' major ', as in very important.
Specially after one year, i relate to your concern.

My escape is an 06 model.
After one year, i had the escape CPU replaced under warranty.
Originally i plus the mechanics, thought it was the alternator.
Back in 07, my escape was still quite brand new.

Having the cars central processing system, as faulty made me quite bitter.
Fortunately i was not stuck ,somewhere in an isolated area.
Just as your ' steering shaft ' is critical, the cars computer would be a significant part also.
The service tech installed, a brand new escape CPU via my new car warranty.

Glad to hear everything, has been fixed there Tang.
Hopefully your escape, will not have too many major issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts