Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an Escape site, but I know some of ya'll are audio gensius!
So I just ordered a JVC kd-hdr20 HD radio to replace my stock unit in my 00 Expy w/Mach audio. The Crutchfield site says it's compatiable, it has Sub control. The reviews were pretty good, just the lack of having presets on the face (Who's the genuis there?).

So obviously I'm going to lose my CD changer, but gain MP3 CD, Aux input (mp3 player) and HD radio :) so don't think I'll miss it.

So is this going to be an easy swap? and is it the right size (power not physical) for the stock speakers & sub?

Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just about every HU out there has the same output. The reason is they have no power supply onboard. They just use the standard 12v rail that comes off the battery line. That means you can only get about 12-14W of relatively clean power at 4ohms.

that's why amps cost what they do. They have a power supply that ups their voltage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was a pretty painless swap!
I did have to pull the dash bezel off, but it was just clips that when you pull hard enough it poped right off & back on!
Pulled the old radio out, removed the wire clips & antenna. Used the included radio wire harness, matched up the colors (for me it was exact matches), pluged the harness to the factory wire, then into the back of the new radio. insert the double din to single bracket (also included!) and reconnect batt and crank up the tunes!

Like the reviews said, the lack of presets on the face is retarted; but the included remote lets you cylce thru the 18 presets, so not easy to go from say 1 to 12, but doable.

The Sub control seems good, as good as factory. Seems as loud/clear as factory too. There is one setting I'm curious about, it's Amp Gainl, it can be set to 30 or 50 (just #'s) but says to use the low (30) if speakers are <50W. Any idea what a MACH stock speaker is rated at?

As far as HD radio goes, unimpressed, sounds the same to me. But then I live 20M from most towers and std FM was pretty clear anyway; and I gained a few sub channels, and 1 AM that simulcasts on an FM sub channel. That AM sounds pretty good in comparison to std AM tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts