Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This meets my specifications since it's a true electric (for 40 miles) and then switches into extended-range mode.

Unfortunately, this will be the replacement for Mrs. prowlie's Escape.

My favorite green product of the week: the Chevy Volt extended-range electric vehicle

by Cristina Foung

What is it?
The Chevy Volt is being called an "extended-range electric vehicle." And while the wheels are turned directly by electricity, there is a small gasoline engine which will kick in to generate said electricity. In any case, now that that's clear, the Chevy Volt has a lithium-ion battery, a range of 40 miles without kicking on the gasoline engine (although some say it's probably closer to 32 miles), a range of maybe 360 miles with the ICE going, and a top speed of 120 MPH.

Why is it better?
Well, it's no Tesla Roadster (which I was fortunate to take a little spin in two weekends ago), but it's a pretty nice looking car. Its 4-door sedan body is definitely more practical for most folks looking for a cleaner vehicle that can get them (and their stuff) from point A to point B.

As far as efficiency goes, some estimates say the Volt will get about 100 MPG. When it comes to saving the world (think global warming and polar bears), the Volt is a step in the right direction for sure. Of course, there's some debate over whether or not the Volt should be considered a plug-in hybrid or an electric vehicle, but in either case, it's a technology worth exploring. And given that the Volt has a production date of 2010, that should give utilities some time to figure out how to deal with more vehicles plugging into the grid.

Where can you find it?
Come 2010, keep your fingers crossed that you'll find the Chevy Volt at your local Chevrolet for somewhere between $30 and $48k. In the meantime, feel free to sign yourself up on the unofficial wait list.

Besides her green products column on Cleantech Blog, Cristina is a passionate advocate for green living at the Green Home Huddle at Huddler.com, which focuses on electric cars, energy efficient appliances, and other green products.

Reserve yours here:

http://gm-volt.com/join-us/

:yahoo:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

Who receives Mrs. Prowlie's Escape? Hmmm???

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jpark said:

Who receives Mrs. Prowlie's Escape? Hmmm???
ProwlieJr. is pretty much on his own, having bought a new car about the same time that we bought the 2003 Escape (he was considering a Solstice, but he ruled out the 2-seater as impractical - say WHAT?).

ProwlieJr-2nd inherited Mrs. Prowlie's 2001 PT Cruiser when we bought the Escape, and MIGHT now be interested in the Escape (which is in perfect condition). As a 4WD (AWD), it's a plus. The mileage is a big minus - and, being a VA Tech grad, he has the plates "VTKRUSR", which wouldn't fit the Escape. BTW, he also reserved a VOLT.

Anybody interested in placing a reservation 2 years in advance?

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,627 Posts
Our tax dollars at work:

As an "added bonus" with the US Government bailout of Wall Street, Plug-in Car Tax Credit is Passed: Chevy Volt Now $7500 Less

http://gm-volt.com/2008/10/03/along...ax-credit-is-passed-chevy-volt-now-7500-less/

GM and the Chevy Volt turned up three "7s" on the Congressional slot machine. First, automakers got the $25 billion in low interest government loans. Second, the Wall Street bailout will likely help the beleaguered auto industry. Third, plug-in tax credits have now been signed into law.

The now passed by the House and signed by Bush $700 Billion Wall Street bailout bill had a few congressional "sweeteners" in it to help get it passed after failing for the first time in the House earlier in the week.

Sweetest for future Volt buyers is what's called the Transportation and Domestic Fuel Security Provision.

This provision provides a tax credit for buyers of plug-in electric vehicles. It provides a base of $2500 plus an additional $417 per kwh for batteries greater than 4 kwh. For the Chevy Volt, that works out to $7500 per car, a number GM had lobbied for.

The credit will be applied to the first 250,000 plug-in cars sold in the US and will be phased out to 50% for the following two quarters, and 25% for the two quarters after that before ending. The total cost of the credits will be $758 million.

OK maybe its all money Uncle Sam really doesn't have, but the odds look better now for GM and the Volt to thrive. And your Volt just got significantly cheaper.

:cigar:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the volt would be perfect for me because its about 48km (29ish mi) for my commute to and from work. i could literally drive to work and not use any gas unless i had to go somewhere (and im sure i could get a long enough cord to plug it in at work HAHAHAHA) i might be looking at getting one of them.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
after doing a few minutes of reading on teh site (thanks for the link :thumb: ). i would as soon as the battery warranty is up. set the gasser to charge the batteries. 400Mi on 6gal. give me a 15gal tank lol. that would give me 1240mi or what about 2000km.. for 70 bucks lol. and i need an AWD version.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
AWD version and I will be set...now that I have 4WD I don't know if I would want to go back lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
cbramsey said:
Our tax dollars at work:

As an "added bonus" with the US Government bailout of Wall Street, Plug-in Car Tax Credit is Passed: Chevy Volt Now $7500 Less

http://gm-volt.com/2008/10/03/along...ax-credit-is-passed-chevy-volt-now-7500-less/

GM and the Chevy Volt turned up three "7s" on the Congressional slot machine. First, automakers got the $25 billion in low interest government loans. Second, the Wall Street bailout will likely help the beleaguered auto industry. Third, plug-in tax credits have now been signed into law.

The now passed by the House and signed by Bush $700 Billion Wall Street bailout bill had a few congressional "sweeteners" in it to help get it passed after failing for the first time in the House earlier in the week.

Sweetest for future Volt buyers is what's called the Transportation and Domestic Fuel Security Provision.

This provision provides a tax credit for buyers of plug-in electric vehicles. It provides a base of $2500 plus an additional $417 per kwh for batteries greater than 4 kwh. For the Chevy Volt, that works out to $7500 per car, a number GM had lobbied for.

The credit will be applied to the first 250,000 plug-in cars sold in the US and will be phased out to 50% for the following two quarters, and 25% for the two quarters after that before ending. The total cost of the credits will be $758 million.

OK maybe its all money Uncle Sam really doesn't have, but the odds look better now for GM and the Volt to thrive. And your Volt just got significantly cheaper.

:cigar:
Check into what the available tax credit for buying a Hummer H2 (or any vehicle over 6,000 lbs used primarily for business) was from 1997 until the end of 2006. recently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts