Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, over here the race is on to elect a new Prime Minister to run Great Britain PLC for another few years.

Now I'm not going to get involved with the politics of each candidate, but the contest is appearing to be a close race with the 3 main ones, Gordon Brown (Labour), Nick Clegg (Liberal), and David Cameron (Conservative).

So, when we in Britain had to endure the American election race every day on the TV news, until some bloke called Obama won, which went on for months, do I take it that this has now reversed, and you Americans are getting a blow by blow account of our elections, (or indeed on the MP's expenses scandal, which is still rumbling on.....

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I'm really sorry to say this however I have not heard a word other than the Ash from Iceland and how bad it screwed up air travel :shades:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I usually don't watch the news on TV a lot unless it's the local news, and haven't heard anything about the British PM race on what I have watched.

I have seen a few things here and there on BBC website, but I usually only read stories I find interesting, and the politics of any country don't fall into that category.

Anyway we are still being bombarded here with play by play account of every move Obama makes, who likes it, doesn't like it, what his golf score is, and what semi famous persons may have made comments about him that could be construed as racist. :horse:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
There are elections in England? :angel:

·
Registered
322 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Yup same here, no news other than pissed passengers that can't fly, and I thought there were still Kings & Queens, Knights, round tables, sword fights, and that thing where 2 men on horseback & long stick poke each other (not brokeback mountain!) [sorry just woke up, brain not on yet...]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No, but I hope you guys get a more qualified candidate. I also hope that your PM is allowed to make choices that will benefit the people. I think in the states the President doesn't really have the power people think and I also think that in the states government as a whole forgot that they work for the people.

Since my wife grew up in Germany, Austria and Whales she pays close attention to the politics over there. I guess to answer your question we need to do a little searching on the tube to find out whats going one outside the states.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not too much about the elections here in Canada. The CBC and others are too busy following the scandals and scew ups of our own PM and MPs.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Problem is, North America (to include Mexico) is ego-centric. Not much happens outside of our borders that we know about. Sad really. :(

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
08HybridOK said:
RobtRoma said:
Yup same here, no news other than pissed passengers that can't fly, and I thought there were still Kings & Queens, Knights, round tables, sword fights, and that thing where 2 men on horseback & long stick poke each other (not brokeback mountain!) [sorry just woke up, brain not on yet...]
Yep, and we all wear bowler hats, work in the city, drink tea and know the Queen.......... ;-|
;-|

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Actually, I watched a televised debate this week with those three candidates. Interesting to note the differences and similarities in styles of the debates from here in the States. I also occasionally watch the weekly PM Question Time, and try to catch the Opening of Parliament ceremony when I see it is being broadcast.

When I lived in the UK ('79-82) I found it interesting how much attention was paid to the elections and politics of western allies(and this was before the EU).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Haven't heard a thing. But I also tired of hearing about everything Obama does. I'm surprised that they don't follow him into the latrine to report that as well... :wall:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Camus!.
Nothing has been shown on the television as yet.
I have noticed some articles in a few newspapers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
camusdarrach said:
08HybridOK said:
RobtRoma said:
Yep, and we all wear bowler hats, work in the city, drink tea and know the Queen.......... ;-|
;-|
you know the queen :shock: :shock:

as patriotic as i am,

im sick to death of turning tv on and seeing another lier stating what he's not going to do for the country, they spend thousands touring going to all these events to try win the public over with there lies just so they can move into 10 downing street and not fulfil any of there promises. lying t*ss*rs.

They try to please too many people, assylum seakers murders and junkies have more rights than what hard working people like myself have.

Rant over with, back to making a mess out in the garden.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
camusdarrach said:
;-|
I like bowler hats! :lol:

Well you're lucky you have 3 contestants to win your top prize, we only get 2 at a time, and usually it's the same jokers behind them- personally I think that's the real problem!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
stone said:
Who is he?
He is Nick Griffin, leader of the ultra right wing British National Party (BNP).
If he had his way England would be just like the good old Victorian times, mostly white, corporal punishment, capital punishment, hide from everyone if your homosexual or otherwise.

I'm sure just about every country has a party similar to this and it's a little scary how many followers they get. :worry:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Haven't seen a thing about the elections over there. :confused:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rehctelf said:
stone said:
Who is he?
He is Nick Griffin, leader of the ultra right wing British National Party (BNP).
If he had his way England would be just like the good old Victorian times, mostly white, corporal punishment, capital punishment, hide from everyone if your homosexual or otherwise.

I'm sure just about every country has a party similar to this and it's a little scary how many followers they get. :worry:
Thing is though, he is proving quite popular, and his party has won a few seats in local elections.

Ok his policies may appear to be a bit OTT, but he has forced the immigration issue to be recognised by the other mainstream parties..

As for the other parties, well there's the Green Party for the treehuggers, UKIP, whom want us out of Europe, the English Democrats, the old favourite, The Monster Raving Loony Party...., Plaid Cymru (welsh), and the SNP (Scots), amongst others....

This time however, is the first elections we've had that have included the US Style televised debates, the 3rd one is to be shown next week, not too sure about these at all....

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow.. you guys are electing a new King? Very cool...

I didn't know the Queens term was up. Does that mean she has to move?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts