Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - I read that the K&N Air Filter increases HP on the Escape. Has anyone else found any performance tricks to get some more acceleration from the 6 Cylinder 3.0? Sparks plus,air filters and any other performance enhancing?
Minijimi

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I haven't messed with mine other than the Megaflow 3" S.S. Cat Back Systum. I get 24 Highway and about 18 City. I will say that I've heard a lot of Poor Reports on the K&N Filter. I'm A firm believer if you change the paper filter every 3K-5K miles it'll do just as good.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
K&N air filters won't give you extra HP on most modern engines. All the sensors make sure the engine runs at peak efficiency. However, the K&N does increase throttle response, which seems like extra HP to a butt dyno.

There's no such thing as "cheap horsepower" these days. The best bang for your buck is to get a SCT tuner and have Torrie custom tune it for your driving style. Intake and exhaust will make minimal gains on their own, but an SCT tune can take better advantage of it. There used to be a supercharger available for our engine, and I think Surfscape still has one for sale.

·
Registered
43 Posts
K&N Air Filters are charged with oil that covers your mass air flow sensor and can damage the hot wire inside of it, Its alot cheaper to just buy a $7 paper air filter than replace the MAF after a few recharges.

Ive seen this happen on numerous vehicles.

besides a paper filter doesnt really restrict air flow any more than a K&N filter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. This site is a real eye opener and extremely helpful. Glad I joined. MiniJimi

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I myself have used a K&N Filter for about 7 or 8 years now. I have no problem with them as of yet. I will give mine a good cleaning this spring. I don't think I have cleaned it in 2 years lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a K&N as well, and it DID make a difference to my fuel economy (slightly better), and also the throttle response and it does have more power at 3/4-WOT, especially on cool, dry mornings or evenings. It costs around $85.00 (in Ontario anyways, after taxes), but in the long run, it's actually cheaper than replacing the stock panel filter several times.

I'm also running Ford Motorcraft 5W20 100% Synthetic in my engine, which also improved throttle response, faster warmup in the winter, and slightly better fuel economy. This, combined with the air filter has made a slight difference over stock (at least it has in MY engine).

I'm thinking of getting the Magnaflow exhaust, or get MBRP to make one for me (they make the best exhaust for Focus', Mustangs, Diesel Trucks and Snowmobiles in Canada). I want it for the extra power (if it even does that), but also for the sound, the appearance, and longevity.

L8tz

·
Registered
92 Posts
i've had my k&n rechargable filter for years and i've never had any problems with it... i just cleaned my MAF for the first time since... well probably since i bought it. even if the oil from the recharge gets on the MAF, just spray some cleaner on it (non-residue throttle body clean or MAF cleaner) and it will be just fine... worth it in the long run! much better throttle response with the k&n...recommend to all!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked with K&N regarding the filter's potential to damage the MAF wire. This was their reply.

"Thanks for contacting K&N. The statement is false when it comes to K&N air filters. There is very small amount of oil fully saturated in yards of cotton element in each air filter. The oil is viscous so once its saturated, its not coming off. K&N has performed extensive testing on this subject and went a step further to soak a number of MAS in the K&N filter oil for testing. The results are all conclusive that the oil does not damage the MAS whether hot film, hot wire or vortex style. To see more of the K&N MAs testing please take a look at our product testing page on our website here. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Good investigation skills! Well done! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Plenty of evidence is out there to support this "myth". There has been visible oil coating on the MAF wire.

K&N isn't going to tell you that their filters damage your sensors. The majority of cases are due to over-oiling by the end-user, so I agree that K&N has very little liability (I know of one case where a brand new K&N filter killed an MAF sensor).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a K&N drop in on my escape, no problems with it.

After the recent wildfires, a gave it a good cleaning from all of the ash and smoke caught in the filter. The filter looks good as new and performs well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What about the green filters, i hear they have much better flow then the k&n? To bad no one makes any performance filter for the 09 escapes yet?

·
Registered
261 Posts
not yet, but expect one in the near future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing to remember, while the oiled-gauze filters like the K&N -may- lower the restriction through the filter somewhat at WOT, they do not filter nearly as well as pleated paper or pleated synthetic media filters. I have three bikes and airbox on the one with the K&N air filter is significanly dirtier after the filter than the other two that are running OEM paper. (even though the K&N filtered bike gets ridden the least). I will not use the K&N type filter again on any vehicle .

Also, with the exception of WOT, the restriction of the throttle plate far exceeds the airflow capability of any filter, and any perceived increase in power pretty much is psycologoical (like a clean car seems to run "better"). The oiled-gauze filter type are mediocre at best for protecting your engine from dirt.

Here's some independent ISO 5011 testing that pretty much debunks the K&N myth.

///
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=180100

"Compared to the AC (Delco), the K&N "plugged up" nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons."

·
Registered
679 Posts
check out greenfilters.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have an 08 escape and changed to K&N drop in airfilter. I have a ford fusion v6 with also a drop in. I used to have a CAI for it but i hated it caz it was way too loud. i like it quiet but the difference wasnt much. It felt more peppy with the drop in air filter probably due to the slight restriction to it. The CAI had a slight delay then would come in abruptly but way more powerfull. The drop in is more linear and have more of a luxury to it thats why i like it more. Well for the escape i noticed a little more power on the top end and a better throttle response but not as much as the fusion due to the intake variable cam timing on the duratec 30.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't say the testing that has been done to show the K&N lets in more dirt is wrong, all I can say is I put a K&N on my '90 F150 (302) because Ford Motorsport told me to. I did this at about 20K miles and that truck had 225K on it when I sold it with the original engine still going strong. I also did the same to my '91 Bronco (also with 302) at about 45K miles when we bought it and that truck has 250K miles on it currently. So I don't think the K&N is going to noticeably decrease your engine life. As far as the MAF sensor, if the K&N is making it collect oil then you are over-oiling the filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
like so many here I have been running k&n air filters for 20 years now in I don't know 12 different vehicles and all is good, i get more milage, throttle response etc. I believe the reason so many have had problems is that they possibly have saturated the k&n with to much oil, i saw this happen once to a friend but when i pulled out the filter it was dripping with oil, he, my friend oiled the new filter right out of the box, which is not necessary, but I believe this could also happen on a clean and re-oil as well these filters only need just enough oil to turn the element red, then I usually set my newly oiled filter aside while finishing up some other work to let any rogue oil drip off. I some times will run a rag over the filter to remove any excess oil. :rockon:

·
Registered
122 Posts
andjayik said:
check out greenfilters.com
They don't list one for our escapes or is there another model that fits?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts