Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the header indicates, I finally gave in to my desire to order one of K&N's air filters from Canadian Tire, and it finally came in last week. Installation was easy (except for the K&N warning label/sticker wouldn't stick to anything, so I threw it away), and I was able to take the truck out on a mixed city/highway run. I can say that acceleration seems easier in town, especially around 60km's/hr, where I don't need to dip into the accelerator as much. When I went out onto the queensway here in Ottawa, I tried to accelerate on the onramp and merge with traffic with the O/D ON the first time, and with the O/D switched off for the second trial. I can say that with the O/D off, the truck wants to pull noticably harder with the new filter in. I accelerated from 20km's/hr to over 100 faster than I could before. Overall torque feels more linear, meaning that it feels like I have slightly more torque through the entire RPM band, with the larger surge coming on around 4000 RPM.

I was originally going to buy the Filter from DriverFX, who had them listed for less than $40 cdn, but shipping was over $50 friggen dollars! So, I decided to just buy mine, taxes in, for around $86.00 at Cdn Tire instead. I know that's kind of expensive, but not when it doesn't have to be replaced for a long time...

I will have to wait until I am almost out of gas and fill the truck again to full so I can gauge the fuel economy, and drive the truck some more with the filter installed.

So far, there's a small noticable gain in HP, and in TQ...

I'll give a product review in the next couple of weeks...

L8tz

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
You will have to wait until you get over that heavy foot from all of that extra power before you start takin MPG measurements! lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's just that the truck seems "Pokey" from a dead stop...like the transmission and driveline have to figure out what is going on sometimes. I also seem to get this weird Whirring sound coming from the truck when I accelerate it about 1/2-2/3 throttle from a dead stop...I wonder if this is just drivetrain noise, as power is being shifted to the rear axles...

My 05 Mustang (Black Betty) was an evil seductress, as far as torque goes...it's like she whispered to me to shut the TCS button off and just let her do her thing...lol. It's hard going from something that was over 300 ft/lbs of torque, to something that has less than 200, and I know, I know that that won't matter once we're upto our armpits in snow here in Ottawa this winter...

The K&N did make a nice difference overall, without too much investment. Would I spend the money to buy a KB SC for the little 3.0L? No, I'm going to spend that money on my project street truck/resto-mod...

L8tz

·
Registered
256 Posts
Davis137 said:
...like the transmission and driveline have to figure out what is going on sometimes.
yes, it's relearning your driving habits with the new fuel/air ratio. You realize that when it does, everything may just go back to the way you started.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
In the filter housing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
now if they only had them for the o9's.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The '09 models have so much more horsepower that you're probably better off keeping the factory filter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
more power is always better[/quote]

THAT'S RIGHT!!
A little more never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
230 hp.... thats pretty good.I remember back in the late 70's a 230 hp car used to peel off mid 14's in the quarter mile.... and 0 to 60 m in 6.5 seconds...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are likely going to put the Duratec35 (3.5L) or the Eco-Boost engines in the next generation or possibly 2010+ Escapes as optional engines...even a 265hp 3.5 would certainly give the Escape a nice boost in power, putting it in Highlander 3.5 Territory...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It's light enough to spin all four tires with the traction control turned off!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Traction Control Off = :D :D :D :D :D :D Smokin!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts