Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will not be trading in escape.

Quite happy with it.

Job security has ,gone down the drain out here.

## ##
Just too much ,of a gamble to trade in.

So henceforth shall be keeping it.

For an 06 year model, it's still basically new.

Have my reasons, for staying loyal to the brand. :)

____ * ____

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
We don't trade our cars/trucks for pretty much the duration of their usable lifetimes. Only when they become quite the nusance. So Tribbie will be with us for sometime to come. He only has 17K on the clock, although that's miles in 9 months.....Probably looking at about 22K per year and a total usage I'm thinking is near 200K miles, or 9 years. That puts trading time out to 2017... :cigar:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I was going to sell mine a year ago, 2 reasons. I wanted to get a used SUV with a much lower monthly payment (I bought this new) and I hate automatic transmissions. However, the economy took a dump, so did SUV values so I'll probebly just keep it until it's paid off then buy a car so I have 2 vehicles.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I'm so close to paying mine off that I'll probably be keeping her a while longer. But I do get new car fever about the time my cars are paid off. Since I now have to pay for student loans from grad school, a new car will probably wait. Probably being the operative word. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dasha said:
I'm so close to paying mine off that I'll probably be keeping her a while longer. But I do get new car fever about the time my cars are paid off. Since I now have to pay for student loans from grad school, a new car will probably wait. Probably being the operative word. :D
I hear yah Dasha! I nearly made a deal on a Plum Crazy Charger Daytona edition....although I still want one, I love the escape too much to get rid of it for a rear wheel drive summer car! Not only that but my payments are NOT bad at all for the Escape, and the Daytona was going to be close to 300 biwkly

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I'm really getting the itch to get a new car lately too... I've got Mustang on the brain. The people at work keep saying "You've been looking at and wanting that car for months now. Why don't you just get it?". The Escape is 7 years old but has only 68,000 miles. It's been paid off for almost 3 years. The drive train is in good shape. The body is also aside from all the door dings. It's great in the NJ winter snow (a Mustang wouldn't be). The only rust is on the trailer hitch and the seat rails. I'm sure I could get another 5 years out of it easy... but I really want a new 'Stang.... :confused: What to do... What to do???

I know what I need to do... keep saving so I can buy my house. I do have a new car fund started but I only have a few thousand in it. The time just isn't right for something new so I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming.... or hit the lottery! :D

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hittin' the lottery sure would be nice!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
RobtRoma said:
I'm really getting the itch to get a new car lately too... I've got Mustang on the brain. The people at work keep saying "You've been looking at and wanting that car for months now. Why don't you just get it?". The Escape is 7 years old but has only 68,000 miles. It's been paid off for almost 3 years. The drive train is in good shape. The body is also aside from all the door dings. It's great in the NJ winter snow (a Mustang wouldn't be). The only rust is on the trailer hitch and the seat rails. I'm sure I could get another 5 years out of it easy... but I really want a new 'Stang.... :confused: What to do... What to do???

I know what I need to do... keep saving so I can buy my house. I do have a new car fund started but I only have a few thousand in it. The time just isn't right for something new so I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming.... or hit the lottery! :D
You mean, you don't own your home now? :shrug: Like...paying rent or something? :shock: Save for the house, great buys right now in housing. Your much better off financially in the long run to own your own home when you retire. Buy a house. Cars are everywhere, and there is a new deal on a car every month. I vote, drive the Escape till it's toast and buy a home of your own. :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
jonas1022 said:
You mean, you don't own your home now? :shrug: Like...paying rent or something? :shock: Save for the house, great buys right now in housing. Your much better off financially in the long run to own your own home when you retire. Buy a house. Cars are everywhere, and there is a new deal on a car every month. I vote, drive the Escape till it's toast and buy a home of your own. :thumb:
Wise words by Jonas... I never intended to keep my '64 Valiant when I first bought it from my father back in '78 but since then I've invested in post-secondary education, then bought a townhouse for $235k (now worth $700k and I've been mortgage-free for 10 years), and started a family.

Now the old Valiant is too "classic" to dispose of -- one of the partners drives a brand-new BMW convertible and was departing the office a few days ago and noted that an older gentleman was carefully examining my vehicle while ignoring his shiny new rag-top.
:D

I tend to keep things that work well for me and therefore avoid the "rat-race" of constant upgrades and tortureous cravings for new items. Society is geared to inspire these feelings... we are directed towards a consumer lifestyle from a very young age and it drives our entire economic model. Not sure how much longer we can sustain it, however.
:fire:

All of that said, I do find myself longing for the latest & greatest computer "stuff" when major hardware & software upgrades occur (you can never have enough horsepower for computer modelling/rendering/animation & video), and I do keep a close watch on continued automotive improvements in hybrid and electric vehicle technology with an eye to eventually upgrading our 2005 FEH family vehicle (which has been stellar over the first 100k of driving).

:whistle:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Believe me... I know. Right now I'm dreaming (key word there) about the 'Stang but I know what I need to do.

As for the house... it's the house I grew up in. I moved back during a very difficult time 9 years ago when I was dealing with the death of my best friend. I've paid rent in one form or another for the last 9 years and most of the bills for the last 4 (since my folks retired and moved out). I've also been seriously saving to buy it for the last 3-4 years. We were working on a plan 2 years ago when my mother got sick and passed away. That, plus a few other issues, really threw us for a loop and the plans were put on the back burner. It's only recently that my Father and I started to discuss what we could do but he hasn't been around enough to work things out. (He has places in FL and MD that he spends a lot of time at.)

FYI - The housing deals in NJ are still not that great. Example: The house next to mine was foreclosed on in December. It's a small cape on a 50x100 lot just like my house. It went on the market for $340k. It's been reduced to $300k (I think) recently. Let's say we put 25% down (72K). The mortgage for a 30 year fixed loan at 5.3% is about $1260... This I can do. The problem comes when we add the property taxes to the expenses. My house has property taxes around $8150/yr (or around $680 a month). Plus, every year they go up at least $100. Last year was $200. This year was $115. It's really crazy. Ten years ago, the the taxes were half that. Unless you make close to 6 figures, you really need two salaries or a huge down payment to afford anything in this area. Unfortunately I only have 1 source of income and God knows my investments haven't helped lately.... :wall:

I'm trying to do this smart. I don't want to risk not being able to afford the place. I work for a small Architectural Firm and right now things are very slow. I received no bonus last year and that hurt me much more than I expected. For the first time, my bosses mentioned the possibility of cutting hours for some of the workers. They said I was safe but you never know. It really makes me think twice before diving into anything...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
HybridArchitect said:
...then bought a townhouse
An Architect... in a townhouse??? Gasp!!! :shock: ;)

HybridArchitect said:
All of that said, I do find myself longing for the latest & greatest computer "stuff" when major hardware & software upgrades occur (you can never have enough horsepower for computer modelling/rendering/animation & video)
I get that... as my collection of four PC's and a laptop can attest :drool: :D

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
All this is fascinating reading..

As for me, well a little confesion regarding the Maverick......

Last Sunday, the wife, kids and me went to look at a local LandRover dealer here in Leeds, and found a 2004 Range Rover TD6 HSE that we liked, in dark metallic blue with cream leather interior.
Mileage was 42,000, full MDSH, in superb condition, and on sale for £14, 995.... :yahoo:

talked to salesman, and a deal was verbally agreed, depending on trade in value of my maverick.

The deal fell through when they offered me £1,200 for it. :rant:

All is not lost, though, as my budget of £12,000 plus trade in value can obtain quite a lot, but as work is getting quieter (only work 36 hours/week now), I'm wondering on the wisdom of raiding my bank account to spend on a large car, when the Mav is paid for, and still a good vehicle.
Hmmm

·
Registered
277 Posts
RobtRoma said:
HybridArchitect said:
...then bought a townhouse
An Architect... in a townhouse??? Gasp!!! :shock: ;)
Yep... still the same one I bought in 1994. The moment I walked into the place, I knew it was the right choice as it offered a spectacular view of the ocean, downtown towers, and the soaring north shore mountains behind all of that -- no use living in Vancouver unless you can see the water and the mountains in my opinion and I've never been a fan of the suburbs.

For years I walked to my office as the place is just a 25-minute walk from the downtown peninsula, but a wife & two daughters soon had us all car-pooling every morning so now I just walk the last few blocks to/from the office.

The 110 square metres (1,180 square feet) of space is a bit tight for the four of us, and only 2 bedrooms will likely become a challenge as the girls get older, but I do like the "green" aspects of our lifestyle as our vehicle(s) remain parked most weekends and we can easily walk to the market on the waterfront, there are more restaurants than we could ever try along Broadway just a couple of blocks up the hill, and the family dentist & doctor are only a few blocks away. A quick stroll also takes up to the large park with a great playground next to the school along the ocean inlet.

And, I can sympathize with your desire to remain cautious in these times; our architectural firm was able to avoid the need to downsize until just this past week -- after a number of large projects vanished, we reduced from 35 - to - 25 employees at our Vancouver office. I'm staying busy, but you are always looking for that next project in this profession to keep everyone employed.

:beer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts