Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

My Edge is the first car I've had in a while that has the unpainted, textured black (charcoal) plastic on the lower bodyside. It's just like the lower bodyside plastic on non-Limited Escapes, except that there's a lot less of it.

Aside from Armor-All, has anyone found anything that works longer to keep it dark and shiny? It seems like Armor-All lasts for about a week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is a product called "Back to Black". It is made by Mothers and it is in a red bottle. It is the best product I have found for the plastic.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Imunna pick one up today and give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
jpark said:
Thanks! Imunna pick one up today and give it a try.
jp, I'd be surprised if it works. My next door neighbor has the same problem with his Grand cherokee and has taken it to several detail shops and was basically told that he should just replace the cladding. (it's really bad)

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I've used back to black and it is good stuff.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I find to apply it, it is easier to do it this way. Take one of the tire shine sponge things you get from Autozone or Pepboys, then apply the Back to Black to the sponge and then apply it to the car. This way you dont get it all over your hands if it soaks up the rag.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK, here's rubber/plastic 101.

BTW, if you're comparing to Armor All, the ultimate is 303 Aerospace Protectant. But I'm not going that way here.

For textured exterior plastic, there's 3 possibilities:

1. Basic maintenance

2. Contaminants

3. Fading

In reverse order,

3. "Back to Black" (and similar) is for restoring color. If you need it, do it . . . . but before that, make sure it's not off-color due to wax and contaminants -

2. Wash it with the Zaino-special (ounce of dishwashing liquid in a gallon of water) to remove wax. Go over it with clabar to remove contaminants. Final wash with alcohol to remove any other chemicals that shouldn't be there.

1. My favorite dressing for this type of application (works wonders on the prowler's black plastic bumpers and the cowl/vents in front of the windshield) is Lane's "Super Blue Tire Shine":

http://lanescarproducts.com/supblutirglo.html .

Their next-best product is "Black and White Tire Cleaner" - the first time you use it, you'll probably need to apply it and scrub 3 times before you wash off all of the dead carbon black (FOR TIRES - NOT THIS APPLICATION):

http://lanescarproducts.com/blacwhittirc.html .

Alka-Seltzer*
* "Try it. YOU'LL LIKE IT!"

-P

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, y'all! The lower-body plastic on my Edge is still in brand-new condition, even after this past winter, but I like to keep it looking that way.

When the shine goes away after only a few days, I feel like it looks dirty, and I get :wall: ...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Turtle Wax ICE works pretty good on textured stuff like that although it doesn't last a real long time.......

~John

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i use the ice on mine it last long enough for me. then again i usually try to wash my vehicles every 2-3 weeks. and every other time is a complete detail. including Ice. and once a year clay bar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am a member of a BMW forum as well, and we use Plast-dip for black mouldings. Also, you can plast-dip the chrome trims if you want to shadow-line them. These things were tried and they work. We have plast-dipped the front kidneys, and the road stones/pebbles won't damage the finish (it's rubber). The beatuy of the product is that if you don't like it, you can peel it off. The Mini guys use it too very extensive. It's an awsome mod. Also, plasti-dip comes in different colors. Here is the linky http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip to the webpage.

Product:

Mini trim dipped:

Wheel dipped:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts