Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question here. When I turn off my Kenwood DNX 7100 radio and then turn the key off/engine off. I notice a red blinking light from my headunit at this location. What does the red blinking light represent? http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Billyk24/?action=view&current=blinkingredlightafterpowerisoutLarg.jpg

[URL=http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Billyk24/blinkingredlightafterpowerisoutLarg.jpg]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff26 ... utLarg.jpg[/URL]

I'm asking because I have a "draw" on my 12V battery somewhere. My vehicle will not start if it is left sitting without being driven for a day or two. I Place a battery charger on it and within 20 minutes, I can start my vehicle. My scanguage has recorded the voltage from the 12V as low as "8.2 volts" after sitting for two days. The Ford Dealership tested and charged for 3 hours of labor only to say the 12V battery is fine, the OEM Ford stuff is fine but it appears the aftermarket radio is at fault. The audioshop rechecked my vehicle and found everything hooked up properly. I'm in the middle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Could be the amplifier circuit is still switched on if the drain is the audio system. Depends on where the testpoints are as to whether or not they can locate the closed circuit. If you have a separate amp connection or fuse, disconnect that circuit or pull that fuse and see if it stops the drain. Jusst my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add, I do have a seperate 50w by 4 RF amp located under the front passenger seat. However, the ampilifer was installed in April 2008, the Kenwood DNX 7100 in November 2007. My issue with not starting began (the first occurance) the end of December 2007. Based upon this information, one would think it is the Kenwood headunit.

However, in November 2007 I had a shop install a trailer hitch and wiring directly to the 12V battery. I have never (yet) used the wiring. I installed a Gentex mirror with a direct connection to the 12V battery. I doubt the Gentex mirror draws enough juice off the 12 V battery to cause my issues.

I know at least one individual on this site has a Kenwood DNX 7100. I wonder if his headunit has the red blink light/flash after everything is shut down. :roll:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
I wanna say it is some type of theft deterrent security feature...but I do not know for sure. I just read the entire owner's manual and it does not say once what that little light is....but from past experiences with other head units it is just to let you know that the security feature of the device is on. I never have checked if mine blinks or not lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
That blinking LED draws less current than the Genex mirror. It couldn't hurt to disconnect each added accessory, one at a time and see if the amperage draw stops. When it does drop, that will be the culprit.

BTW, the amp comes on using an solid state electric switch. It is activated based on input from the source (I'm doing a little guessing here, it's how most work). If your head unit is putting out a little power, the amp will "see" that input and remain on killing the battery very slowly. Remove the power (disconnect) from the amp, or the head unit and see if that drops the draw from the battery.

If you don't have a multimeter to do this, get a digital mm and check it out. The instructions with the unit should be able to tell what accessory is killing your battery. It could give itself away if you read the specs on each accessory and see what the stated amperage draw is to power the unit. That would be the amount of amperage you would be looking for as a draw. I hope this ramble is clear enough to you and you find your leakdown. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
you should start with a check using a multimeter... put it on ampmeter, disconnect your negative at the battery, touch the battery post with one end of the multimeter and the battery cable with the other (closing the circuit) With all turned off, you shouldn't see more that 500 mA (milliamp).

More than that, you have a drain somewhere.

You can do the same thing on each circuit by removing the fuse and touch each connectors with the ampmeter to find the culprit.

I found a bulb light in a glove box that remained lit after closing the lid with this procedure on another car i had a lond time ago. Like you, after a while, battery was dead. :yes:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top