Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Kenwood DNX5120 - sound cutting out

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Breensy 
#1 ·
my dnx5120's been working well since i got it, but since i added an extra 2 speakers onto it, making it 6 in total. now when the music is loud sometimes it will sound great but then randomly will sound like alot of static until i stop song and re-start it.

is this a sign that my dnx5120 is struggling to power all speakers, and its time to amp up the speakers?

#2 ·
You can't ADD speakers without changing the load to the internal amp in the unit. Did you parallel add, or series-add?

#3 ·
thanks for the reply.

i hooked them up in parallel with the stock rear speakers. what would be the proper way to hook these up? i have a small amp i could use to power the two new speakers but i wasnt sure if it would work with the HU powering the stock speakers and a small amp powering just the cargo speakers (wasnt sure if there would be a delay in sound)

#4 ·
Breensy said:
thanks for the reply.

i hooked them up in parallel with the stock rear speakers. what would be the proper way to hook these up? i have a small amp i could use to power the two new speakers but i wasnt sure if it would work with the HU powering the stock speakers and a small amp powering just the cargo speakers (wasnt sure if there would be a delay in sound)
That's your problem and honestly you are a lucky man to not destroy the amp inside the HU when doing this. Parallel creates less impedance therefore higher load on the amp, and it is probably sweating big time.

The basics of how to handle this properly: http://www.bcae1.com

For right now, you need to immediately disconnect one or the other speaker from your parallel hook up, and leave that be. Besides, it can't sound all that good.

Are you talking cargo speakers for, say, an outdoor event??

#6 ·
Breensy said:
thanks fourth,

i disconected them already for now. they are in the cargo and for watching movies at the drive-in, so they dont have to sound amazing.
OK, in a situation of auxillary sound, I would recommend either a double pole-double throw switch, OR yes, possibly a small amp.

Don't worry about sound delay, there is none. I run an amplified front end (tweeter and woofer separately active), and the stock rear speakers on deck power. So you can definitely do your amp thing too. You could also wire in a switch (simple kind) to the 12v switched lead to turn the amp on, as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.