Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the cheapest place i can get a copy of my key and keyfob programmed?

the dealership wanted like $120 and an hour for it...

·
Registered
322 Posts
eBay for a key & program yourself (instructions in manual, very simple) assuming you have 2 keys. If you only have 1, then sorry it's off to a stearship to reprogram the whole module.

I finally made a spare with my last oil change, I had a key, but didn't have it cut for almost a year.(dealer cut it for free) yea I'm that lazy (and don't go near a Ford place often) Walmart said it didn't fit their machines, but other places might?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I found a couple on eBay that said they included instructions, so I might give that a shot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea, instructions are simple. Going from memory from a few weeks ago. Insert key1, turn to on for 8sec, remove insert key2 turn to on for 8sec, insert new key turn to on 30sec. Something along those lines.

Not sure what year you have, the 08/09's have the fob/key in one, but I just used a blank key from eariler years, and it works fine.

This key is my new spare instead of one of the more expensive:

There have been disscusions on if the new key will work on older years, but I don't recall the answer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well when I bought my escape it didn't come with a manual, it's not so much the keyfob I need. It's the key that's programmable for an '03. Any links or suggestions?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I found this on Google, you can probably find a pdf of the owners manual online. They used to have them in the myford website, logon & register your vin.

The page was titled for 2003 Escapes, I thought mine was at least 8 seconds, but to lazy to dig to the bottome of my cargo box to get the manual out again.

Here is the factory procedure to program a new key(s), I recomment only factory keys, you need to use the working key to do the procedure;
1. Insert a previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4(ON) position for at least one second, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the coded key
from the ignition.

4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second but not more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the second key from the ignition.

7. Within twenty seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the unprogrammed key (new/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second.

9. Your new unprogrammed key is now programmed. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle's engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and
then go out. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle's engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off rapidly. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your dealer to have the
new key(s) programmed.

To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure
from step 1 for each additional key

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
08HybridOK said:
4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
Do I have to have two previously programmed keys? I only have one... Which is the whole reason why I'm trying to make another programmed key...

·
Registered
322 Posts
hattrick203 said:
08HybridOK said:
Do I have to have two previously programmed keys? I only have one... Which is the whole reason why I'm trying to make another programmed key...
Yup sorry you need 2 all ready programmed keys to make a 3rd.

If this is a recent purchase you might try making the selling dealer provide you with 2 working keys, but not sure how well that will go, most are sold as is.

If you have several dealers around I'd try calling all and getting a price. I'm not sure who else is capable of replacing the coded key system, ie small mechanics, lock smith, etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
08HybridOK said:
Yup sorry you need 2 all ready programmed keys to make a 3rd.
Thats not right... the whole reason I need another key is because I only have one, I wouldn't need a third key lol

So it wouldn't work if I just used the same key twice...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts