Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always kinda wanted a keyless entry pad, but my 08 Escape lacks one. Such as...

Is it possible to add one of these? I haven't seen anything about it online or in this forum. I know that if they come factory they have a master "factory code", that any authorized dealer can look up, so does that mean that this feature can only come factory or that only a dealer can install it after the fact? Are there perhaps third party aftermarket kits that accomplish the same thing?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The one in the picture is the "last generation" keypad. It does not require any wiring, drilling, or holes. Instead, it operates just like your remote keyless, with a battery, and it sticks to the exterior with the double-sided 3M emblem tape that's already applied. You can change the code at any time, and the battery lasts for a LONG time. I had that exact model on my '05 Limited for almost three years.

Ford has since redesigned the accessory keypad to include two faceplates (one pebble-grained black, and the other smooth and primed for paint-to-match), and the profile is lower and smaller. I like the new model, since it's much less conspicuous.

Ford's part number is 7L2Z-14A626-BA, and you can find this keypad at almost all Ford dealers and online stores for as low as $68.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

Oh, and the buttons light up a dim green when you touch them. The lighting goes out a few seconds after the last button press.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good question!

There are big differences between the factory-installed keypad and the accessory keypad.

The accessory keypad is a stand-alone device operated with batteries and mounted to the sheet metal using double-sided emblem tape.

The factory keypad actually fits in a hole already stamped in the door when the door is stamped (before priming and painting), and it's hard-wired into the Smart Junction Box, so it can't run low on power unless the car battery dies.

So, if you have a factory keypad, you can't really swap it for the accessory keypad.

You can always change the LEDs inside the factory keypad, like I did in my Edge. The former dim green LEDs are now bright amber LEDs. I also have the lighting diode-separated to light with the puddle lamps or when a keypad button is pressed.

:calvin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.