Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised pics of the famous (or infamous) kitchen tiling project Wifey and I are in the midst of. It is a work in progress.

Here is the dry fit layout of the pattern.

This is the kitchen before we started. The only thing I had done is attach the ledger board in the range opening with construction adhesive.

Here is first course of subway tile going in and the second course was in progress. Note the clever use of the laser level to ensure everything is "level". I love my toys!!!!!

This is with three courses of tile up. I like how the Metalic Vine tiles break up the subway tile. Ended up renting a wet tile saw to make the cuts that were required. It was much cheaper than divorce!!!! :rockon:

We got all of the cuts completed so it will be smooth sailing the rest of the way!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

More to come!!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
You make it look so easy! :D
Thanks for the in progress pics! Lookin' good! :shades:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Meanwhile, at the other side of the kitchen wall, a crack team of highly trained Kermits are hard at work, so that when the tiling is finished, Kermit himself can pop into the kitchen to say "Hello!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
camusdarrach said:
Meanwhile, at the other side of the kitchen wall, a crack team of highly trained Kermits are hard at work, so that when the tiling is finished, Kermit himself can pop into the kitchen to say "Hello!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Current Camus meter mod ratings

Number of ciggies consumed: 0

Number of appendiges lost: 0 (so far)

Number of adult beverages consumed: 4 (so far but the day is still young)

Number of Kermits who gave their all: At least a couple!!!

This will be updated as the day goes on.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nice work, Charles!!!

I'm familiar with those plastic spacers! The whites ones are 1/8", right?

What kind of adhesive did you use? By the looks of the color, it looks just like the mix-it-yourself Laticrete SpectraSet thinset that I use. I buy it at Lowe's. It's the most expensive thinset, but once tiles are set with it, they're on for good.

Isn't ceramic tile great to work with? I've now done three ceramic tile floors, a porch, and one bath. When I gutted one of our bathrooms and replaced everything (including all of the wallboard), I tiled the wall around the new tub, then the floor. I already have a tile cutter, but I had to buy a carbide hole saw for the shower faucet openings, and I was really happy with the results:

Here's the first row done around the shower:

Here's the finished shower area, before the grout:

Wanna go into business, Charles? There's a little bit of money in construction!

:D

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of the tile are in!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

We took back the tile saw and got there ten minutes before the 24 hour period was up so I didn't get any extra hour charges!!!!

Wifey and I took back the extra tile we didn't use. We did keep a couple of the subway tile and one of the bullnose tile and one of the decorative tile. We got enough credit to almost pay for the day rental of the tile saw.

There will be more pics and an updated of the Camus mod scoreboard.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tile are all in. Here is a what it looks like now. We still have to grout and replace the outlet and switch covers for something more decorative.

Updated Camus meter mod ratings

Number of ciggies consumed: Still 0

Number of appendiges lost: Still 0

Number of adult beverages consumed: 5 and climbing (Was 4)

Number of Kermits who gave their all: I think the number of Kermits who gave their all was 4. (Was at least a couple!!!)

Wifey did an excellent job of actually placing the tile and measuring for all of the wierd cuts. My main task was running the tile saw.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Very nice, hmm, was wondering if your avatar was a picture of wifey, returning the unused tiles back to the shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
camusdarrach said:
Very nice, hmm, was wondering if your avatar was a picture of wifey, returning the unused tiles back to the shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
No Camus. My avatar showed me giggling like a little girl as I was taking the unused tile back to Lowes. This particular avatar was a retread from over 1.5 years ago when I was working in Kansas. Somehow, it seemed appropriate.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Looking good! Lot's of fun! :confused: :lol:

I have gone down this road as well. Completed thus far: Master bath (total demo: tub to shower conversion as well), Jack and Jill bath redo, hall floor, Living room floor, dining room, kitchen, kitchen counter, laundry roo. And finally, I am thinking of doing the garage with some non-skid/slip in a checker board pattern ;) .

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the grout is in!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated Camus meter mod ratings

Number of ciggies consumed: Still 0

Number of appendiges lost: Still 0

Number of adult beverages consumed: I think I am up to 8 for the project and counting.

Number of Kermits who gave their all: I think that is 4.

I must admit Wifey had the patience of Job dealing with a whining hubby ( :cuss: :wall: :rant: :censor: ) as well as the tile project. She did most of the hard work.

If I didn't say that, she might borrow Dasha's tink and I will become a dung beetle.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
The finished project looks super, Charles !!! You and your wife did a very fine job!!! :thumb:

Now you can kick back and watch some football tomorrow ! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts