Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience using brake dust shields to prevent brake dust from getting on the rims. Do they impede the colling air flow even with vents build into the covers

[mod]Moved to Exterior Mods.[/mod]

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
They seem to work fine, but they don't look very good when installed behind aluminium wheels. My advice is to get some ceramic brake pads that are low-dust. Keep in mind that "ceramic" brake pads only have a certain percentage of ceramic material, and the rest of the filler material may give off dust. The ones that I am using are made by Satisfied Brakes, their Pro Ceramic line. I hear that Kragen in the States carry them, and Pep Boys may still be rebranding them as their ProStop Ceramics.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have them on my 05 Escape Hybrid:

This addition means you do not have to spend time cleaning the wheels when one details their vehicle. I learned about this from John Morton who was the orginal hybrid moderator on this site. He has probably moved onto another vehicle as he can no longer be found here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had them on my '98 Mercedes and they did a fine job of stopping the brake dust. But, you'll find many opinions on whether they reduce air flow to the brake pads. I personally never experienced a problem with braking with the wheel covers, but then again I'm a pretty easy driver. At that time I lived up north with lots of salt on the roads in the winter. After 2 years the black paint began to chip off the wheel covers and they started to look bad, and I was never very fond of how they looked with the aluminum wheels. I removed them at that time and went back to hosing off the wheels every week or so. After all, it's only brake dust.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Like posted above, they aren't the most pretty mod available. I bought some for a previous Mercedes that I owned years ago, and at that time the "dust deflector" was a whitish gray color. I let them go with the car when I sold/gave it away to get out of the Mercedes nightmare... :shock:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ceramic is the way to go!!. next set i get will be EBC greens. currently im running UAP/NAPA brand

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
CrashNburn said:
ceramic is the way to go!!. next set i get will be EBC greens. currently im running UAP/NAPA brand
Didn't someone post something here about bad experiences with the green pads? I need to do a couple searches. I may have my sites mixed in my head.

I know that some of my Bullitt buddies are having issues with the 08/09 Bullitts and the green pads. I will check it out and see what I find and post it up here...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
No joy on finding the thread about the EBC greens. Must be :wacko:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Brake dust shields. I am not sure, if we have them down under. My car service is due on wednesday. Shall chat with my service tech ( mechanic), to find out what his thoughts are, in context of brake dust shields. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I had no issues per se with the shield itself.

I have also looked, and do not find anything wrong with the EBC pads mentioned above. Maybe it was something posted in relation to an other subject matter and not apparent to a search. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I asked my service tech about brake shields. He mentioned they are available. In my situation, not currently experiencing excessive brake dust. :) :bump: :bump: :happy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts