Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wondering which shock absorber would you folks choose?? I had monroe on my festiva and they crap out every 40000 miles i dont know about KYB but i heard they are of better quality then monroes. What do you guys think?? which one rides better?? and last longer??

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive never had a problem with monroe, never used KYB but a few buddies of mine have, and again, ive never seen any problems. the guys using the KYB's were beating teh crap outta their trucks though, where as i had monroes on my little car.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Are our (Canadian) Monroes the same as the ones they have in the States? I was under the impression that it was another Canadian Tire private label brand, like how our Simoniz has nothing to do with what it is in the States.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
Are our (Canadian) Monroes the same as the ones they have in the States? I was under the impression that it was another Canadian Tire private label brand, like how our Simoniz has nothing to do with what it is in the States.
i didnt know that. thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I don't know if Monroe in Canada is the same company or not... would be curious to find out though...

I've heard good things about the KYB shocks in terms of quality and handling. But everyone I've seen write about them says the ride is noticeably stiffer. I didn't want that so I purchased Monroe Rear Shocks for my Escape (about 2.5 years ago from Sears because the OEM's were leaking and Sears was having a big sale). I was told the Monroe's would be a little softer than the OEM's but to be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference.

I've had 2 out of 3 mechanics, over the last 8 months, tell me they were leaking already. First was a Goodyear Tire Dealer. I had an issue with these guys so I didn't let them change them (plus... I believe they have a lifetime warranty from Sears). Three months later I went to a local Midas shop for some service. While it was on the lift, they took me into the garage to show me a leaking rear differential gasket. I asked them how the rear shocks looked. We looked together and they looked fine. We didn't see any leaks. Then, a few weeks ago, I took the Escape to a dealership for some service. They also told me that the shocks were leaking and again I said hold off. I guess I need to get in there and take another look... :bill:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm i noticed that on my festy with the monroe shocks also they tend to leak fluid after so many miles. In hawaii we have a lot of pot holes and thats why they dont last long. I also had edelbrock ias shocks for my 00 mustang gt which i thought was the best shock in the world. They held up for 20000 miles until they started to leak. They rode really well for a car that was lowered and they surely had more suspension travel to them compared to stock. I knew i should have stuck with bilstien shocks. Anyways looking at the kyb they seem to be built better then the monroe dont you guys think?? Are the 2008 escapes and 2009 escapes shocks the same?? i heard the 09 are softer or recalibrated compared to the 08??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have used Monroe gas shocks for my 4X4 before I switched to Rancho and I actually like the Monroe better. As far as the Escapes what about Gabriel struts and shocks?
I've also heard KYB is stiffer. Monroe offers a shock and strut called the reflex that I have heard pretty good things about.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
so did I read correctly that the original shocks and struts on the E's are good for 40,000 then it's time to replace them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I repalced the OEM shocks on my 2009 Escape at about 8,000km because I was tired of the extra bob that the car would do after a bump. I decided to install a set of the KYB GR-2 shocks as they were the best of what was readily available for the Escape. My review of the KYBs is that they are a fair amount firmer and offer a much more controlled ride than the OEM shocks, but could use a bit more valving to make them a bit stiffer.

My experience as an installer (back when I worked at a gereral repair shop) in regards to Monroe shocks is that they are an economy replacement shock that lasts about as long as the OEM shocks and with similar valving. Most shocks marketed towards the North American market are somewhat under damped to give the feeling of a smooth ride, but the trade off is that the unsprung weight of the vehicle is less controlled and there is an extra amount of leaning, squat and dive upon cornering, acceleration and braking respectively. Firmer springs can aid in reducing the amount of vehicle movement during weight transfer, but if the shocks are not strong enough to control the spring energy the end result would be uncontrolled bounce over irregularities in the road.

Koni does make a Heavy Track version of their adjustable damping shocks and strut inserts for the Escape. I am leaning towards getting a set over the winter to see if the damping is better than what the KYBs offer (then maybe I will install my H&R Lowering Springs).

For the easier and better choice if a firmer ride is what you seek, I would recommend the KYB GR-2 shocks. The nice thing is that the KYBs are also a very reasonably priced shock which offers a great value to performance ratio vs Monroe, Gabriel, or the OEM shocks.

A couple of photos of the installed KYBs on my 2009 Escape...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
So never having an SUV, are the rear shocks just called shocks, not rear struts or ????
I will be talking with Walker Evans racing and want to have the right lingo down..
the website says they will build a custom shock. I will purchase KYB struts unless somebody knows of a better quality strut, or with the new coil springs I might leave the OEM for now. I think it rides a little more stiff after driving in a co-workers Escape 4X4 XLT. Prior to that I thought it felt the same..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Funniest thing, just an FYI here.
I called Bilstien to check on struts/shocks for our escapes, only to learn they don't make any. :shrug:
One of North Americas largest selling SUV with the Mariner and Tribute and they don't make something for us. I was shocked and told them so.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
megascape said:
I have used Monroe gas shocks for my 4X4 before I switched to Rancho and I actually like the Monroe better. As far as the Escapes what about Gabriel struts and shocks?
I've also heard KYB is stiffer. Monroe offers a shock and strut called the reflex that I have heard pretty good things about.
my mistake, it was supelift i liked better then the Rancho. how did i get the two confused? my be to much of this :rockon: :wall: and this :kneel: as a youngster

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
tajescape said:
I repalced the OEM shocks on my 2009 Escape at about 8,000km because I was tired of the extra bob that the car would do after a bump. I decided to install a set of the KYB GR-2 shocks as they were the best of what was readily available for the Escape. My review of the KYBs is that they are a fair amount firmer and offer a much more controlled ride than the OEM shocks, but could use a bit more valving to make them a bit stiffer.

My experience as an installer (back when I worked at a gereral repair shop) in regards to Monroe shocks is that they are an economy replacement shock that lasts about as long as the OEM shocks and with similar valving. Most shocks marketed towards the North American market are somewhat under damped to give the feeling of a smooth ride, but the trade off is that the unsprung weight of the vehicle is less controlled and there is an extra amount of leaning, squat and dive upon cornering, acceleration and braking respectively. Firmer springs can aid in reducing the amount of vehicle movement during weight transfer, but if the shocks are not strong enough to control the spring energy the end result would be uncontrolled bounce over irregularities in the road.

Koni does make a Heavy Track version of their adjustable damping shocks and strut inserts for the Escape. I am leaning towards getting a set over the winter to see if the damping is better than what the KYBs offer (then maybe I will install my H&R Lowering Springs).

For the easier and better choice if a firmer ride is what you seek, I would recommend the KYB GR-2 shocks. The nice thing is that the KYBs are also a very reasonably priced shock which offers a great value to performance ratio vs Monroe, Gabriel, or the OEM shocks.

A couple of photos of the installed KYBs on my 2009 Escape...

Nice photos there Tom. Thanks!.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used KYB shocks on all my trucks , starting with my 77 ramcharger . They are very good , last a long time and have a stiffer ride than OEM or monroe . Monroes would last about 20,00 miles before they sprang a leak , KYB never leaked in the time I had them

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
vmariner said:
number of front and rear shock absorbers help please.
Two struts upfront, two shocks in back...

A strut is basically a spring and shock in one, on the rear there are independent springs and shocks.

Edit: damn meatloaf, no need to delete, lol

I'd take KYB over OEM or monroe anyday. In the next few thousand miles I'm swapping my struts and shock all around with KYB.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Rook said:
vmariner said:
number of front and rear shock absorbers help please.
Two struts upfront, two shocks in back...

A strut is basically a spring and shock in one, on the rear there are independent springs and shocks.

Edit: damn meatloaf, no need to delete, lol

I'd take KYB over OEM or monroe anyday. In the next few thousand miles I'm swapping my struts and shock all around with KYB.
Weird. Deleting it was an accident.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts