Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chat recently with the cook. I intend to purchase a new laptop, and she does not have a problem with that. :) :thumb: My current toshiba satellite pro P100, delivers the goods in general media entertainment. But in context of gaming it is quite restricted. With only a 128mb video card, i can not play the later demanding type games.

So henceforth i will buy the " Toshiba Qosmio G55". This beast has an 18 inch screen, and the video memory is a dedicated 1gb. System memory is 4gb. There are two hard drives. Not sure if i will have, the 32 bit Vista or 64 bit Vista operating system installed. The main thing i like about this Qosmio G55, is the overall design and the laminated finish. Have chosen to go for the glossy red Qosmio.

Initially i thought that flame design on lid was overbearing. This was in context of photos on the net. But recently checked it out at a harvey norman store, and can guarantee the actual appearance is quite stunning. Yes! This model is a desktop replacement. Picked it up and it is heavy, but do not have a problem with this. The lappy has a thick depth which can be an advantage. The " QOSMIO G55" has a solidness which appeals to me.

Could not resist and had a play with this toshiba 18 inch screen beast. All the controls have that typical intuitive logic, which is very user friendly as only Toshiba knows how to do. Obviously it has acceptable specifications. As regards aesthetics the Qosmio is quite a beautiful laptop to behold. Have not calculated as yet, if i am going to purchase it or maybe do the rental plan. The notebook will possibly be like a delayed christmas gift to myself. This means i would probably, acquire it sometime during january of next year.

Had a good old chat with the sales rep. I notified him that my interest of the Qosmio is definite. In this context, i want him to look after me as a customer. I would like them to negotiate the best deal they can. Can imagine they will not dissapoint me , because i purchased the Nikon D40X from them. So how do i feel , about the eventual delivery of " Qosmio 18 inch screen lappy gaming beast?" " VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!" :) :yahoo: :woohoo: :yahoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :thumb: :shades: :thumb: :happy: :happy: :party: :party: :woohoo: :yahoo: :heart: :heart: :D :yes: :yes: :beer: :popcorn: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

This is not my photo. I sourced it from one of those review sites. I watched that american site, that does video reviews of new products. G4TV? or something like that. They had the silver and black Qosmio. Not quite my cup of tea in context of eye candy, so henceforth will be purchasing or renting the laminated glossy red Qosmio.

This photo does not quite do it justice. When i checked it out in person at the Harvey Norman store, the Qosmio is actually quite stunning.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
For the computer geeks - can 32-bit Vista really address 4 GB of memory? I read up on this a while ago but forgot most of what I learned. Two things come to mind that may or may not be right - 32-bit Linux can address all 4 GB, and 32-bit Windows "addresses" 4 GB but reserves a huge chunk of it for the kernel for some reason.

Either way, most new processors are 64-bit capable anyways, so Vista64 would be my choice. 64-bit XP has horrible support, so you are pretty much stuck with a 32-bit OS if you want to stay with XP.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i jsut got a toshiba P300 Pro with 64bit Vista, 4 gig rams, 17" monitor, and a 360 gig HD, and 512 dedicated video with 1 gig shared.

had it for 3 weeks, staples shipped it out to toshiba today because it has a hardware issue.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had another discussion with the cook. I would not rather wait till january to acquire the new toy. Actually my local ' Hardly Normal' ( Harvey Norman) store, is doing a christmas clearance type, reduced prices sale on all Toshiba models. The rep mentioned that in January of next year the prices will be increased back to their usual.

Upon conversing with the opposite gender, she looked at me very seriously. I was told not be so anxious and be in such a hurry. :bang: :rant: She ' Who must be obeyed' to keep the peace, advised me to wait for my annual leave holidays. Then i can go about the laptop negotiation in a more relaxed frame of mind. I do respect womens logic and lateral thinking.

But i do not comprehend ,why it is supposed to be easier during my holidays, as in annual leave from the work employer. Me confused! :confused: :shrug: I am in that mood where saturday morning ,would be just nice to put in an order. Strange how the october and november period of each year, allways seems to have a glitch and be awkward. Well not sure about others, but it has been like that for me on the average. :wall:

Sometimes i like to contemplate, if females and males were created on different planets. With all due respect to the other gender on this forum, i am only acquiring a laptop. It is not as though a major investment, as in a new car is being negotiated. She is happy that i am not trading in escape, but now there is dramatics in progress, just because i am keen on the Qosmio.

In due time all will calm down. For i am stubborn like an obstinate mule just like my dad. We both have vastly different personalities, but at least with the stubborn thing the tradition must be upheld. Yes! even dear old dad gets nagged periodically. :lol:

Anyone willing to do a straight swap for parents? Do any of you have australian or english parents? Want to do an exchange for my continental hot tempered ma and pa? They are easy going ,but their moods become complex at odd moments. They experienced the second world war years in europe, so henceforth know what the depression years are all about. Because of the war they would have grown up at an early age.

Not sure about australian or english people, but with the europeans sometimes trivial things induce a lot of emotions. For example it will become dramatic, or quite volatile in moods of temper. Hope you don't mind steve ( Mad Max) but seeing there is italian ancestry, you would know what i'm on about. My ancestors and parents, are from mixed stock over in europe. Lithuania. Estonia. Latvia. Poland and Russia. Besides speaking fluent and coherent english, my dad can speak a few other languages.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I just bought a Dell Studio 1535 in the deep blue design. I upgraded it a bit though. I got 4 gigs of memory, 350 gig HD,256 video card and I went with the LED screen instead of the LCD. Also have HDMI ports on it as well. I have Vista 32 bit installed, not by choice, I hope they come out with a better operating system soon or I will go back to XP. That computer you're looking at sounds like a desk top with batteries :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
it is a desktop with batteries lol, i was playing with on one of the display models when i went in to get my wife hers,

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
weebee said:
I just bought a Dell Studio 1535 in the deep blue design. I upgraded it a bit though. I got 4 gigs of memory, 350 gig HD,256 video card and I went with the LED screen instead of the LCD. Also have HDMI ports on it as well. I have Vista 32 bit installed, not by choice, I hope they come out with a better operating system soon or I will go back to XP. That computer you're looking at sounds like a desk top with batteries :D
Weebee, when you go to System Properties, does it show that you have all 4.00 GB of RAM?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
The Toshiba is a really nice laptop Stone (can it really be called a laptop with an 18" screen?). I had an old Toshiba for about 5 years. My dad has it now and it's still chugging along... although rather slowly. If you do get it I hope you enjoy it. Did you ever think the Mrs. wants to get you one for the Holidays? Maybe that's why she's telling you to hold off. Hmmm....

Squishy said:
For the computer geeks - can 32-bit Vista really address 4 GB of memory?
I don't know the specifics but it can't use all 4 GB of system memory. 32-bit Vista and XP will not address anything more than 4GB due to addressing limitations - this includes the graphics card as well. If you have 4 GB or more installed, the OS should report something around 3-3.5 GB for system memory depending on the graphics card you have.

However, if you systems BIOS supports it, Vista with Service Pack 1 will tell you the amount of system memory that is installed (not the memory that is actually being used). MS did this because all the computer manufacturers were receiving complaints from consumers who purchased 4 gig of RAM and only saw 3 - 3.5 GB's being reported by the OS.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Squishy said:
weebee said:
Weebee, when you go to System Properties, does it show that you have all 4.00 GB of RAM?
I believe it does. I'll check when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
OH, I see why you asked that now. Apparently my lap top is "optimized for 4 gig of memory" thats what the Dell website said. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm talking to all of you from a 2004 Toshiba A70 Satellite. 3.80GHz processor with hyperthreading capability, 512mb internal shared ram with an extra 512mb ram chip added to the expansion port. It's not the most reliable machine in terms of sheer speed anymore, and I can't play any games newer than NFSMW-Black Edition as the graphics can't keep up. If I need to buy another laptop in the future, I'll look at getting another Tosh...

L8tz

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
" Just sensational!" Have been playing ' Crysis ' on high settings, via my Qosmio X305 17 inch screen laptop. There does not appear to be any jumpiness, and the details in game are well defined. Shadows are distinct. Incredible sound quality. Everything in the game has good clarity. My sales rep had a play with it, because i wanted his opinion. He is more of a desktop enthusiast, but was curious about the newly released Nvidea card.

He intentionally upon my request, had a brief play on the "extra high" setting. The details in ' Crysis ' were not lost but he noticed that it felt a tad jumpy. So henceforth it is quite competent in the "high setting." My initial thoughts were that it would only tolerate, the low or medium set up. The rep was obviously surprised, and indicated that the performance for a notebook was acceptable. I am not a technical guru, and had the system reconfigured by a computer technician.

The computer tech experimented with ' Crysis ' on ' high setting', and was quite stunned at the Toshiba Qosmio X305 gaming ability. :) So henceforth, i use the Satellite Pro P100 for general net browsing and forum participation. The Qosmio has been designated for gaming, and possibly some lan parties. It is definitely a show pony with acceptable specifications. The X305 is a head turner, because in the store i noticed some customers reacting. They had that facial expression of ' OH! AAAH! What is that?.

The lighting theme is red leds. The touchpad has a backlit border red led. Power on and media function buttons under screen are all red lights. The symbols for hard drive, power on, battery and media card, on front panel are red. Front speakers are not backlit, but the rear speakers at both corners under screen, are lit up with three red leds. My lid has the flame design. I think toshiba refer to the duco as a fusion finish. Main colour theme of lappy is red and keyboard is black. The paint looks something like a very high gloss laminated satin finish. Yes it is quite a pretty sight especially at night.

After the technical guy performed his tune up, it boots up more efficiently. Also i noticed when using applications, it is more dynamic in speed of access. The technician set up my recovery disks. There are three of them required for Vista. I am comfortable with all the port locations. Typing on the keyboard is easy enough. It confuses me, why toshiba have the Multi DVD rom drive on front edge. I will get used to it in time, but the location still feels a bit odd. My preference is a cd rom drive on side of notebook, such as the satellite pro p100 has.

The two internal hard drives, i find to be quite practical. The gaming is set up on my 7200 rpm drive. General data storage is kept on the 5400 rpm drive. :) The cooling fan sound is not annoying, but happens to be pleasantly quiet. :happy: Here is a promotional link. Cynthia is rather pleasing on the eyes. Yes, i am behaving myself within reason. :) :drool: :lol: :shades: ;) :beer: :popcorn: :whistle:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/737/1/

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The previous message was titled as ' preliminary', because i sourced the pictures from a web site. The photos in this posting are my Qosmio. Even though i am a Nikon enthusiast, these photos were shot via a Canon Power shot DSLR camera.

My ever so helpful Harvey Norman rep, was happy to do the photo favor for me. I took my Qosmio laptop to the store. He used a 12 mp Canon. Yes, i am still being slack by not using my nikon. Will try to set up some daytime shots.

I actually cringe at night photography. The harvey norman rep took photos of my qosmio, in the store during the day. Anyway i perceive them as reasonable. It is all about after sales service, and i appreciate his efforts.

Introducing my stunning gaming beast. Definitely a spunk appeal machine.

This is the left side profile.

Now presenting right side view

The rear elevation with lid open.

This is an under view shot of my spunky gaming Qosmio. Those two large diameter grills are the cooling fans. That little circle is the bass speaker for audio.

:yahoo: :woohoo: :) :clap: :thumb: :)P :shades: :drool: :thumb: :shock: :roll: :whistle: :D

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Amazing looking little computer. Definitely not the stade looking boxes of yore! :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts