Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant]
As a new member, I've been going through all of the subjects and threads here at EC, not just the one that initially brought me here (double din Car Navigation) and I have been enjoying myself. Unfortunately, for the last 3 hours I've been subject to a BSOD about once every hour. I'm a computer guy during the day, and I maintain systems far advanced from my home environment for a living. When I get home, I expect some normal semblance to computer operation that I have not had tonight.

After investigating and performing some memory tests on the 0x00000050 error that windows kindly provides, I saw that it could be memory or video related. I ran a short memory test (which required rebooting the computer, which I never do in the first place) which completed without errors. After thinking about it, I figured I'd throw on the latest video driver package for my ATI Radeon 9800. All said and done, I think that I've got the problem solved, but wait!! My new drivers for the ATI Radeon 9800 are not compatible with the current drivers I have installed for my ATI All-in-Wonder HDTV card, which means my TV on my computer is now broken. Being my source of entertainment in the background while searching around, I now must continue to fix another issue which may lead to breaking something else.

Also, I noticed I have been on the boards mostly alone all night....

[/rant]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Meh you're not alone. I'm here off and on.

On the computer thing, I feel your pain. I'm a Client Support Administrator for the Air Force, and the last thing I want to do when I come home is work on my own computer, but alas there is always something that needs to be fixed on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Sorry about your computer and being alone at night! Occasionally when I have to pull a night shift I feel the same way. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I am usually circulating about the place. But it does seem quiet on here at random moments. Then i suppose there is the time zone as well. For example it is currently 9.15 p.m. in the evening down under in adelaide. My work hours are during the day.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Sorry to hear about your computer issues. Hopefully you will get them resolved soon. :)

I think that we have all experienced being on here alone, from time to time. Not to worry though, as our member count is steadily increasing. :) The site has only been in operation since the end of February and we already have 206 members and steadily increasing each week !! :yahoo:

This is a great site with a very fine group of people and I just know that you are going to love it here !! :yes:

Have a great day !! :peace:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The check is in the mail, Colleen.

Yikes, I need more checks.

:bill:

PS: some BSODs may be related to parts on the motherboard or video card bailing out early, such as electrolytic capacitors. E-C was down a few months ago when a capacitor leaked on this server's one-year-old motherboard. Check the physical appearance of parts on the motherboard and/or video card, and for any stuck fans. Even though the BSOD may mention drivers, overheating can also cause other things to fail.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh boy are there stories about caps failing - we had about 100 machines that went out of warranty in a short time period, and motherboards started failing all over the place. IBM wanted $800+ for a board "over the counter" since the warranty expired, which wasn't worth it. Cap failure (usually the 6-8 near the processors) were .15 a piece through Digi-Key, your one stop shop for any electronic individual parts you ever need. So for about $2 a board and a little elbow grease, over time i ended up saving 8 or more boards...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
LOL! I buy things from Digi-Key all the time. Digi-Key carries almost 26,000 different types of electrolytic capacitors, and almost 10,000 different types of discrete LEDs.

Here's just one example of a Digi-Key part that I used: http://www.edge-central.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19

Luckily, many new motherboards use dry electrolytics, which have a much longer lifespan.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Digi-key has a special place in my heart, located just a few hours away in Thief River Falls, MN. Parts would show up next day if placed before 12:00, at the same ground rate.

I've been using SUPERBRIGHTLEDS for my LED needs lately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rant]
:rant:
Maybe I should have just changed it to plain old rant instead - I have been participating in THREAD and I am interested in doing this mod. Stone's post that the fuel door is standard (thus why you can order the necessary parts through the UK) caught me a little off guard this morning. I was working in the garage on my motorcycle earlier this summer and had to reference the service manual. There are 5 LED indicators on the gauge, one for Turn Signal, Neutral, Fuel low, ??, and Hi-Beam. I have seen all on at some point except one...

In the interest of knowing what ?? was since I've never seen it on, I paged through and saw that it is a "key" light... Each key has a security chip in the body similar to cars, and if the key mechanically matches but does not electronically match, the bike will not start, and that LED would illuminate. So I says to myself, "self, that makes sense, I'll probably never see this LED on". I continued to read the rest of the material, to find out that there was an asterisk in there stating something to the effect that if your VIN contains xx in a specific location, that bike is not equipped. Come to find out that it is ALL the US models that don't have that feature, but all overseas do...

WTF??? why can't we have those features too? Both my vehicles missing something that seems so basic and comes factory somewhere else has me ;-|

[/rant]

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The relative lack of features on North American Escapes has been a complaint for a while. Just look at the gauges on the Asian models (which, by the way, use right-drive versions of our last-generation Tribute instrument panels).

My guess is that Ford's North American operations want you to "move up" to an Edge or Explorer if you want more features, although a key LED isn't one of them.

Ford got me to move to another model last year when I tried to order a 2008 Escape Hybrid. I was trying to order a Vista Blue Hybrid via the "Build It" link, and everything was going fine until I ticked the power moonroof option. A popup warned me that my selection of the power moonroof required "the following change: Vista Blue will be replaced by Oxford White". After a few phone calls, I found that I couldn't order a Vista Blue Hybrid with a power moonroof, even if I went to Claycomo and changed the order myself. And Blazing Copper Metallic was gone for the Escape's 2008 model year, probably to push first-year Edge sales (which worked for me).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts