Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I was crazy driving around last week in the rain. On the highway I had my rear wiper on during a good rainstorm. I look in the rearview and see water dripping down the glass and thought it was outside. Hit the wiper again to notice that it was still there. I pull over to investigate. It seems water was getting in where the glass meets the rubber gasket on top and dripping inside. I opened the glass and wiped everything down hoping it was just dirt or something trapped between the glass and the gasket.

Anyone else have this issue? I will check it out again once it goes back above 30 degrees. Right now everything is frozen outside....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haven't had this issue but if you don't find any problems, I'm wondering if a clear silicon caulk around the interface would seal it up. There also is a caulk made for rain gutters that works ok but the stuff I have used is a dark gray almost black color. Might be a little unslightly if used.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Try some silicone grease on the seal. You may need something thicker than the spray stuff - a good silicone grease in a tube is what you get for lubricating your brake caliper sliders.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck is less than 2 months old. It will go back to the dealer to be fixed if needed. The hell with putting silicone on it, they can replace the entire seal! I did go through the carwash today and no inside leaks. Maybe it had a few pieces of dirt between the glass and gasket and my cleaning removed it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree, take it back in. After posting my idea about caulk, I went out and actually looked at the seal on mine. I don't think caulk would do much except get all over everything else. My bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
why on earth would you want to caulk it anyways unless you never plan on opening the glass again? That's a REALLY ghetto idea for a new vehicle. haha.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
C17chief said:
why on earth would you want to caulk it anyways unless you never plan on opening the glass again? That's a REALLY ghetto idea for a new vehicle. haha.
If you use a RTV like substance and allow to cure before closing, it becomes a gasket adhering to one part/side only. I think that's what they meant.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I bet that you got some grit or film off when you wiped it down. Probably not an issue ever again. Or it could be that the gasket has a slight cut or hole in it. Did you study the gasket to see if there was an issue with it?

·
Registered
679 Posts
i have the same issue, noticed it after a spray wash. A couple of streams going down the inside of the window. Going to get it repaired , it's still under warranty. So i will mention it next time at the dealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you guys notice any excessive wind noise back there as well? If it isnt water tight, it's not air tight, which would lead me to believe that you should really be able to pick out wind noise coming from the back with the radio off.

·
Registered
679 Posts
no noise noticed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't noticed any noise either. I will check it out tonight in the garage to look for cracks or tears in the seal. 1st oil change I will let them know ahead of time. My dealer has a a car wash onsite so they can have a look at it then - and I it will get washed for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem. It was caused by built up dirt between the gasket and the window which gave water a path to work though. All I did was wash the gasket, apply some household Vaseline to lube the gasket and the problem was gone. Thought about bringing it to the dealer to repair under warranty, but they will likely just do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Vaseline is petroleum-based and will deteriorate the rubber. Silicone grease is the safest.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I find the water leak to be the cause of a design flaw. I get the rear window leak if I go through certain car washes (I've also noticed it with previous model Escapes). Here's the catch: the rear liftgate and the car roof are split by a 2-3mm gap, and there's nothing blocking this gap. In the same area is the window seal, so if you get a lot of water in the area, unless it doesn't properly drain around the window seal to the side of the liftgate, water goes, well, around the seal and onto the interior-side of the window.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had this exact problem in September 2000, when my Tribby was new. The dealer fix: silicone sealant.
It did hold up until a few weeks ago, when I noticed water droplets starting to develop again in wet weather or at the carwash.
I guess I will have to do this myself this time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It rained here in Toronto this weekend. I had the same problem....drips on the inside of the rear glass.
Going to apply the silicone grease.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ford replaced the seal and hinges for free under warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have already had my seal replaced on the back window. My back window would leak with the slightest bit of rain. Dealer replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts