Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have had our '08 Escape for nearly a year now, but since we bought a Prius a few months ago, it's been sitting with only occasional driving. Now that we both have become busier, the Escape is getting more use. One of the first times we got in to drive it after it sitting a while, the rear end was making a lot of noise. We took it into a dealership and they redid the brakes and replaced one of the discs. Not a huge deal.

However, now the rear suspension on the driver's side is leaking. It's the pipe looking rod furthest to the rear and it's absolutely coated in oil. Every time I drive the Escape, it leaks a pretty good amount. I also have some knocking noises as I drive, which I guess is the suspension as well. Those were before the brake work was done, and they are still there.

Is the leak a result of the brakes, or something the dealership shop did? Like I said, it only started after the brakes were worked on. That was $400 as it is, and I really don't want to pay the same or more to get the suspension fixed.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
would you be able to post a pic of the where the leak is at.
As for the clunk I would think if it wasn't there before they did the service it should be fixed on the shops dime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't my vehicle, just one I grabbed from online.

The bottom half of that rod is completely covered in oil. Could they have nicked a line or something when working on the brakes?

·
Registered
440 Posts
That the rear shock. It's not that big of a deal and you can have them replace the shock, but this wouldn't have been compromised with them working on the rear brakes.

These vehicles are known for OEM rear shocks leaking with low mileage.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well also, the brake line goes Into the drum just at the same level as the lower part of the shock. Check that too.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yea if it's not the line then it's the seal in the shock. Nice and quick fix and fairly inexpensive. If it is the shock I suggest you purchase Monroe or KYB shocks. you'll have no problem with either. If it's the line the shop could fix that very fast if they own up to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts