Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 01-04 Escapes with leather interior have a leather insert on the door panels. Turns out its a peice of fake leather glued on with some funky glue that fails after some years.

Here is my solution for the doors panels getting unglued. I went to an auto upholstering shop. It came out a bit cheesy with the white surround and letters that came out too big but its growing on me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It would've looked better if it said something like... theescaperoute on it.
That would've been way better. :thumb:

Seriously though, looks good!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Works for you. I do like it, should have had something like that from the factory, eh?

And yeah, the leather interior is only leather on the seating surfaces. Everything else including the back seats are usually polyvynlchloride******!

Still yet another reason to skip the leather seat option... :bang:

·
Registered
327 Posts
that looks good man, dfinetly makes the doors stand out a little more

·
Registered
92 Posts
i left my windows cracked in the rain once(woops) and the leather came off my door insert. i just got some 3m upholstery glue and put it back on.... hasn't come off since

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like it a lot...though i would have trouble stopping there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think they look great! On my 2003 XLT, all 4 of the inserts have come unglued, and are just hanging :mad: . Looks terrible, but I do not have the foggiest idea how to remove them....sand off the old glue :? , and then :? :? replace so they look good! All help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

[mod]I deleted your double post - Ajax[/mod]

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Xcape said:
The 01-04 Escapes with leather interior have a leather insert on the door panels. Turns out its a peice of fake leather glued on with some funky glue that fails after some years.

Here is my solution for the doors panels getting unglued. I went to an auto upholstering shop. It came out a bit cheesy with the white surround and letters that came out too big but its growing on me.

Wow how much did that cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts
:stop: I was hoping for a little bit more of a DIY instruction since I don't have the leather interior. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
BuckeyeSteve said:
:stop: I was hoping for a little bit more of a DIY instruction since I don't have the leather interior. :shrug:
:? :stop: what are you talking about im confused

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jwarren438 said:
Hey mine just came off too ...how much was something like that and any way to just do it my self cheap :)P thanks
I paid no more than $125. I had this done on 2006 in a local shop in Puerto Rico. I left them all four door panels and picked them up two days later.

The glue turns into dust and stains the plastic. Under the fake leather is a foam pad that s glued to the door plastic. I recommend that you remove all the glue residue from both the leather insert and the foam pad and take some sand paper to the foam to make it smooth. DON'T REMOVE THE FOAM PAD! I made that mistake on one door and the new insert looks bad on that door. Also, the door inserts stretch if not cleaned with care when they are out.

I stretched mine and that's the main reason I had to have the new inserts done so take care!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts