Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was looking into ordering LED bulbs for my tail lights, marker lights, and reverse lights, but I'm not sure what kind of specific bulbs work the best as far as reflecting in the housing. What specific brands or kinds of bulbs would work the best??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
if you put just an LED bulb in you will be waiting for an accident. i tried that on mine, and the LED doesnt produce the light properly for it to shine through the diffuser in the housing to produce enough light. reverse might not be too bad, but tail and stop, dont do it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I was asking if they made a certain kind of bulb that would still produce the output.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone???

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I haven't seen any that give off the same amount of 360-degree light of the standard bulbs. I wish I had a better reply, but the LED "retrofits" are still mainly in the junk stage.

The only stop lamp bulb I've seen that is brighter than the standard 3157 is the OEM LED module that Ford is using in the Taurus X and 2006+ Mountaineers.

I'd stay away from the aftermarket 3157 (stop/turn) bulbs until at least one manufacturer gets serious about making one that actually produces decent amounts of light, especially into the reflector.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response. I've looked online and found the "360 degree" bulbs that have LEDs all the way around, you think those would put enough light through the reflector? And the main thing I was looking for were a pure white set of back-up lights and a pure white set of license plate lights..

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
do you have a pic or a link to those 360 leds???

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't remember where I saw them at, it was just one of the random websites you can buy things on.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I was thinking about swapping out the high-mount brake light bulbs with LEDs. Should I be okay here? I'm almost ready to order them, but this thread is making me think twice.

Also, I haven't heard (and seen) good things about swapping the brake lights with LEDs, especially since they are the same light for turn signals, and it apparently might mess up the blinker pattern. Maybe there is a way to get the Mountaineer/Sable/Taurus X OEM LED set-up into other FoMoCo vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the mariner and i changed the fender indicator lamp and the indicator to Led but that 3157 is too big because it was multi leds but a little too wide to fit bright as hell but i have to get a smaller one right now its taped in with electrical tape ghetto i know but its secure until i find a smaller one i hate orange on a black vehicle so its all all white except for the side lamps which i will get too next week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts