I am thinking about getting these:

What do yall think?

Quick reference Guide for thread:

Resistors
Wiring Diagram

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Very nice :yahoo: , sadly illegal to install them over here :stop: :rant: :(' :(' :('

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I vote "no" based on no amber signal, "undecided" based on looks, and "yes" based on faster response time. Did that help? :lol:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats funny squishy, yes, no, maybe haha. You dont need an amber reflector in Ontario in the rear. amd those are probably legal in the states, I would like those for mine but i cant justify the cost, i think i might just get some bulbs from canadian tire.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I know it is legal here! lol

I don't think I really need the amber color to be honest...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
mikelmco said:
Why is it illegal?
We have to by law have: 2x red tail lights
: 3x red brake lights (one in high mounted central location)
: 2x amber indicators
: 1x white reverse lights
: 1x red rear fog light
: 2x red rear reflectors
The o/e lenses themselves didn't comply with our regulation, so we have to have rather ugly rear reflectors glued onto our rear bumper ends, but at least we are spared the side marker lights!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
It'd be nice if the U.S. made it mandatory for separate amber turn signals on all vehicles.
At least make the turn signals separate from the brake lights! :rant:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I actually wrote the US DOT about that. Believe it or not, I received a phone call, and a brutally honest admission from one of the drones working there...US automakers don't want to spend the extra few pennies per car to add amber rear signals and fender repeaters to all cars.

:cuss:

As far as the LED tails made for the Escape, both models (amber signal or not) were designed for the Asian Escapes, which have the reverse lamp in the bumper. They can be easily wired to the US Escape by using the amber signal for a reverse lamp. The LEDs are separated so that a separate signal can be wired, but the results are like the current Dodge Charger---two bulbs are both stop/tail lamps when there's no signal, but one will blink with a signal. That's not the most visible signal, but it does pass US laws, as dumb as they are.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I take it you dont like the idea?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Not at all...I meant the US laws.

:D

Get 'em, and I'll give you wiring instructions. I've done it once before. :censor: :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
jpark said:
I actually wrote the US DOT about that. Believe it or not, I received a phone call, and a brutally honest admission from one of the drones working there...US automakers don't want to spend the extra few pennies per car to add amber rear signals and fender repeaters to all cars.

:cuss:

As far as the LED tails made for the Escape, both models (amber signal or not) were designed for the Asian Escapes, which have the reverse lamp in the bumper. They can be easily wired to the US Escape by using the amber signal for a reverse lamp. The LEDs are separated so that a separate signal can be wired, but the results are like the current Dodge Charger---two bulbs are both stop/tail lamps when there's no signal, but one will blink with a signal. That's not the most visible signal, but it does pass US laws, as dumb as they are.
I'm surprised you received a response! His reason may be true, but that didn't stop the US DOT from making the CHMSL (third brake light) mandatory back in the mid 80's. I'm sure adding that cost the automakers more than a few pennies than adding rear amber signals. Idiots. :rant: I think separate turn signals are just as important for safety as CHMSL's are.
If they are so worried about saving the automakers some money, why don't they get rid of the backup lights, too? Let's go back to the 50's, before they were mandated. :doh:

The best rear lighting (for safety) without amber lenses/bulbs, in my opinion, are from the last generation Mercury Cougars (99-02). The brake lights and turn signals were separate, but the rear parking (position) lights were only shared with the turn signals. So, all the rear brake lights, including the CHMSL were "on their own", so to speak.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, they do seem to be getting rid of reverse lamps, at least far as what they were originally intended to do---light the area behind a car, not just indicate reverse.

2001-2007 Escapes, Tributes, and 2005-2007 Mariners had #3156 reverse bubls, which generated 32CP of light. You could also replace that bulb with a #3456 bulb and get 40CP of light with only a tiny (2.23 versus 2.1) increase in amperage.

Most new vehicles use #921 bulbs for reverse lamps, which generate only 21CP of light. There's no wedge lamp that fits that socket that generates more light, so you're getting a little over half the light of earlier models. Backing up on a dark driveway or road becomes just about impossible now, and tinted rear windows of most SUVs makes things even worse.

I agree with you on the Cougar, but I'd go two steps further and make the following laws mandatory:

For each rear corner:
* Amber turn signal with an integrated amber lens or bulb cover (which prevents replacing amber bulbs with blue or other colors), at least 32CP, on-off only
* Red stop lamps, on-off only (not shared with tail lamps), at least 32CP
* Red tail lamps, one rear, and one side (the side can be either integrated or separate), at least 3CP
* Red rear and side reflectors, at least 4 square inches in total size each, and no thinner than 1", side can be separate
* White reverse lamp, at least 32CP, with 60% aimed at a 20- to 45-degree angle downward

For each front corner:
* High and low beam headlamps using current laws
* Separate white forward parking light, at least 3CP
* White front reflector, at least 4 square inches in total size, and no thinner than 1"
* Amber turn signal with an integrated amber lens or bulb cover, at least 32CP, on-off only
* Amber side parking light, at least 3CP
* Amber side reflector, at least 4 square inches in total size, and no thinner than 1", can be separate

I'd also mandate a flash rate of 90 flashes per second, not 60 or less.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
JP, do you think you could start a thread listing brighter replacements for our bulbs? I would love brighter reverse and turn signal bulbs. :))

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Is there any reason why in America, you have to have the side marker / reflector lights on cars.
Over here, side marker lights and reflectors are only required on vehicles (or trailers) that are 20' long and over, but they can only be amber in colour.
Also, do you have rear fog lights over there, as having at least one mounted on the offside is required here, but it makes the rear of my Maverick look awful, especially those horrible rear reflectors that my car has to have :cuss: :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I wonder if we could get a U.S passenger side tail light, Which obviously has the clear reverse lamp in it, and install it in our Mavericks with a red bulb? This would give the clean symmetrical look we're after, but still comply with the mandatory rear fog light. -\/-

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
We have no rear fog lights in the US. Aside from Audi and the Oldsmobile Aurora, no North American cars have them, or are required to have them. The average American driver would probably think that rear fog lights are just brake lights that are stuck on.

:bill:

I'm not sure why we have side reflectors/markers, but front and rear side marker lights have been mandatory in the US, Canada, and Mexico since 1968, and reflectors were added to that law in 1970. I'm sure that being able to see parked cars is the main reason. Why we don't have white reflectors on the FRONT of the car, or fender (wing) repeaters is a mystery to me. Volvo had front white reflectors on its older cars, and some newer Fords and GM cars now have repeaters, but there aren't many. I really like the mirror-mounted repeaters that VW and Mercedes use.

And the North American Escape doesn't have a fog light on either side in the lower red area of 2001-2007 models. That area of our lamps was a red reflector on the outside, front and side, wth no bulb inside. So while you could replace that lamp assembly and have an extra reverse lamp, you'd lose the rear fog lamp at the same time. You could put a red bulb in the reverse housing, though, but you'd lose the reverse light on that side. Sometimes, you just can't win.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
hmm, thanks for the reply.
On ours, we have top to bottom:
Side/tail
Indicator
Blank red lens, not a reflector as they are on the rear bumper- this is where I would place a foglight bulb
Reverse/ fog light
Like thethread on brighter bulbs, will look into that.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here's a close-up of the 2001-2007 North American Escape's tail lamp assembly. It's the same on both sides, and our bumpers have no reflectors. The lower red section does have a chromed reflector inside, but it's molded closed, with no socket opening, and a red reflector wraps around from side to back on the outside.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i agree with the brighter bulbs that would be awesome, but i also would prefer to be able to have clear front markers, and full red rear lights. the main purpose of having the red and orange reflectors is so you can tell which direction a car is facing, similar to the lights on an airplane. to add you your list, the military issued LUVW (light utility Vehicle Wheeled) or G-wagon has the rear red fog light from the factory. as well as black out drive lights. you want to have some fun, join the canadian army, where we drive with the light on during the day and the lights off at night. haha (no joke, 50km/h with 2 red dots in front of you showing that there is a vehicle there lol)

1 - 20 of 223 Posts